Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euridyce79
    replied
    If possible, could you include a keyword search feature for the rolling stock lists?

Leave a comment:

• Euridyce79
    replied
    Originally posted by GokuMK View Post
    Ok. Search box accepted.

It is nice idea, but now I'm asking about the must have features for the first release. I want to share it as soon as possible, but I do not want to make the same mistake I did with Route Editor where I released first early version without important features and some were disappointed.
    What problems do you have using them for Loose Consists in the AE?

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied
    Yes. Start here, read directions carefully and you're good to go!

Leave a comment:

• janmejay
    replied
    Can I please know from which website I can download TSRE ?

Leave a comment:

• EldoradoRailroad
    replied
    Originally posted by GokuMK View Post
    Hm, on Windows 64 bit you can still use your 32 bit apps with no problems. So why not move to 64 bit systen?
    There was problem with windows xp 64 bit because you had to use only 64 bit apps, but since Vista you can do both and it is stupid to use 32 bit system and make your computer slower. I had 64 bit CPU in 2006 y. 12 year ago!
    TSRE opengl memory management is important thing to do, but I think that there are more important things to do first.
    Well, leaving "głupota" aside....

Some programs do not work as intended in 64 bit, not because they are 32 bit, but because the Windows API changed. If you have not experienced that yet, then I am reminding you that it is true. It is also incorrect to assume that there are true 64 bit versions for all "older" 32 bit programs, not to mention having the extra money to do such upgrades. Again I remind you that Open Rails is NOT 64 bit. Why is that? Because the installed user base are not ALL using a 64 bit OS.

Many of us are not using 64 bit machines with 128Gb of memory installed. The way TSRE manages memory is to NOT manage memory and HOPE there is enough memory to avoid an OOM error. Your current memory model in TSRE might be fine for a few gigabytes of data on a computer with 8 Gb of RAM, but it fails badly when the amount of data outstrips the amount of RAM you have. This is clearly the case for consist editing where it is easy to have many gigabytes of locos/wagons. I agree with you that fixing memory management is an important thing to do, however it is more urgent than you think, I would not put it in the "nice to have" category at some future date.

In the short term, why not use a clear memory cache feature, a button, or pull down menu? You can also display the amount of free memory available and as the user sees fit, he/she can clear the memory cache. You have already expressed elsewhere that automatic memory management in TSRE resulted in too many "crashes". I am suggesting, letting the user decide when to clear memory to avoid an OOM. If that is too difficult, it would be useful to have a feature which allows the user to control when a loco/wagon will be graphically displayed, not automatically as it does right now. This will allow some control over the OOM errors.

Dziękuję Ci bardzo Piotr

Leave a comment:

• GokuMK
    replied
    Hm, on Windows 64 bit you can still use your 32 bit apps with no problems. So why not move to 64 bit systen?
    There was problem with windows xp 64 bit because you had to use only 64 bit apps, but since Vista you can do both and it is stupid to use 32 bit system and make your computer slower. I had 64 bit CPU in 2006 y. 12 year ago!
    TSRE opengl memory management is important thing to do, but I think that there are more important things to do first.

Leave a comment:

• EldoradoRailroad
    replied
    Originally posted by crstagg View Post
    " TSRE will crash"?
    WRT TSRE in consist edit mode, if you "visually" start looking at your rolling stock by selecting your first piece (eg.loco or wagon) and use your arrow keys to move on to the next item in the list, where, the rolling stock item in question is actually displayed graphically, at some point it will cause an OOM. Again I said, gigabytes worth of rolling stock. This [crash] occurs very quickly if you display large size textures, however by forcing lower res textures in TSRE this takes a bit longer, but then unlike Shape Viewer, you have to deal with poor quality images. In english, a 2048^2 texture of a loco, can be displayed with as 256^2, but of course it looks like a blob! TSRE does not manage memory, so as you load more and more shapes/textures, the other shapes/textures that you are no longer looking at, or will not use, are not cleared out of memory (this is EXACTLY the same problem that Mosaic has!). So unless you know EXACTLY what you are going to use and avoid at all costs scrolling visually through your rolling stock, an OOM will occur. This defeats the purpose of being able to graphically view/create consists.

I still do a lot of work in a 32 bit world, and I have not spared the time to move everything into the 64 bit world, primarily because things do not work as I want them to. 3D Canvas/Crafter comes to mind. At this point not even Open Rails is 64 bit.

QED

Leave a comment:

• advut
    replied
    Originally posted by conductorchris View Post
    easiest way is to open 'unit view' in the view menu, insert replacement stock next to the broken stock (which is noted in the list) and delete the broken stuff.
    Thanks, it worked that way. Many activities supply consists that are not really accurate (train composition, livery). I will fix those consists as well.

Leave a comment:

• crstagg
    replied
    Originally posted by EldoradoRailroad View Post
    TSRE in 32bit, yes it is possible BUT,

If you have a large number rolling stock...gigabytes of rolling stock, or you are editing a route that has a large number of .ace files per tile (route was created using Mosaic etc), TSRE will crash because it does not manage memory! There is no way around this, and you can keep track of the memory usage in the task manager and observe how TSRE chews up memory with each tile load and/or as you go through your collection of locomotives/wagons. It was suggested that I lower the resolution of the loaded .ace files, but it still crashes when it is out of memory. For me, TSRE as a consist editor is a shame because of the memory issue in 32 bit.

YMMV, but for me it seems that it can only work on a 64 bit machine with a lot of RAM memory installed or you have have a small collection of engines/wagons AND avoid editing a route that has many distinct .ace files per tile (Monon. etc).
    What do you mean by "
    If you have a large number rolling stock...gigabytes of rolling stock, or you are editing a route that has a large number of .ace files per tile (route was created using Mosaic etc), TSRE will crash"? Are you referring to the "(Not Responding)" in the status line at the top of the TSRE Window? I have only tried the 64 bit version and I have found that when reading a large TrainSet database that when you click on the TSRE window while it is reading the data that this "(Not Responding)" appears. The problem is that TSRE-CE has no Progress Indicator. I have pointed this out to Goku and he plans to implement one.

FYI for large TrainSets TSRE-CE takes about the same time as ConBuilder or other CEs to read the data.

Leave a comment:

• EldoradoRailroad
    replied
    TSRE in 32bit, yes it is possible BUT,

If you have a large number rolling stock...gigabytes of rolling stock, or you are editing a route that has a large number of .ace files per tile (route was created using Mosaic etc), TSRE will crash because it does not manage memory! There is no way around this, and you can keep track of the memory usage in the task manager and observe how TSRE chews up memory with each tile load and/or as you go through your collection of locomotives/wagons. It was suggested that I lower the resolution of the loaded .ace files, but it still crashes when it is out of memory. For me, TSRE as a consist editor is a shame because of the memory issue in 32 bit.

YMMV, but for me it seems that it can only work on a 64 bit machine with a lot of RAM memory installed or you have have a small collection of engines/wagons AND avoid editing a route that has many distinct .ace files per tile (Monon. etc).

Leave a comment:

• R. Steele
    replied
    Advut, if you have a large amount to replace, or some locos/wagons appear in many consists ( or activities) you can use a search & replace utility to replace them all.
    SearchReplace, Edit Rocket, and Text Crawler are a few.
    If you are not familiar with these programs, it may take a little learning curve, but after that it really speeds equipment replacement up.

Leave a comment:

• conductorchris
    replied
    advut: easiest way is to open 'unit view' in the view menu, insert replacement stock next to the broken stock (which is noted in the list) and delete the broken stuff.

Typically when I have a consist open for problems like this, I clean it up in other ways - getting rid of default stock and otherwise getting it more towards a prototype selection of cars.

Christopher

Leave a comment:

• advut
    replied
    I've again hit a problem with unit replacement. TSRE5 displays some consists as broken. I assume that is because I am missing necessary rolling stock units. But, I don't want to download the missing files. Mostly they are repaints. Many activities require downloading repaints of same unit which I am trying to avoid due to bandwidth, manageability, HDD space issues. I want to replace the missing stock units with what I already have. I figured out how to replace one unit in working consists but that process isn't working with broken consists. How to fix broken consists?

I too tried to PM goku but like the previous poster got inbox full error.

Leave a comment:

• ebnertra000
    replied
    I have the 32-bit variant up and running fine. I assume you've downloaded a TSRE5x32 version, and then the appdata, which is separate?

Leave a comment:

• Dispatcher
    replied
    Is there anyone out there that works on a Windows XP os and was successful in installing the new TSRE program with the 32 bit option? I tried a PM to gokuMK but was rejected because his mailbox is full.

dispatcher

Leave a comment:

Working...
X