X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it not practical to load all the rolling stock and consists? Is the list too long to scroll through?

When I use the consist editor I almost never go down the list of rolling stock looking for something. I almost all the time use the search to pull up a small targeted list.

Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by conductorchris View Post
      Why is it not practical to load all the rolling stock and consists? Is the list too long to scroll through?

When I use the consist editor I almost never go down the list of rolling stock looking for something. I almost all the time use the search to pull up a small targeted list.

Christopher
      I have 12,000+ consists and use Train Store to handle them in MSTS with no problem. I gave up waiting for them to load in the TSRE consist editor. It appears that the only way for me to reasonably use TSRS with this setup is to use Train Store.

Comment

12,000+ consists sounds like way more than you would ever need. Open Train Store, Unstore all, then fro menu choose Tools > Reports > Unused items and see how many of the consists are not used in Activities.
        Charles

Comment

Hi David,
          Having never used the Train Store function mentioned by Charles, I thought I'd try it. I created a completely default MSTS installation in the Registry indicated location. Using other functions of TS, it showed a total of 139 consists (which is correct), but using the Reports > Unused Items showed 350 consists!! Many of these are not even on the same drive as the default installation, so I don't know how they are being picked up.

Unless I'm doing something very wrong, I'm tending to consider that TS function with great caution!

Using my utility, MSTS_ActMan, all the unused consists in an installation (ie those not used by any activity in any route) may be listed and optionally, saved to a separate folder and/or deleted. May I suggest you have a look at it? I'm not saying it'll work for you - as Charles has commented, 12,000 is a very large number, and may crash the program! You will not lose anything unless you actually select the delete function.

Cheers,
          Ged

Comment

Thanks for your advice Charles.

Ged, thanks also. When I ran the Train Store check it found about 600 unused consists. I have created a batch file from the report and have moved them to another folder. They were all in the main consist folder and the totals tallied. I cannot do much more checking of them now I have moved them.

I then ran TSRE5 and tried to load the consists. I left it for almost an hour and it did not complete. All the time it showed "Not Responding" in the title bar. Task Manager showed that TSRE5 was running with CPU activity.

Back to using Train Store first!

David

Comment

.it showed a total of 139 consists (which is correct), but using the Reports > Unused Items showed 350 consists!!

Hi Ged,

I saw the same type of thing.
              If you look at what its checking, its telling you what consists are being called, ( 350 ).
              Its not telling which ones on your disk are not being used.

Comment

Hi Derek,
                Thanks for your reply
                However, what I can't understand is that the Train Store report shows consists which are not being called by any activities in the MSTS default installation. For example, it shows some 3DTrains Feather River and UKTS Dorset Coast consists which are in two completely different installations! Being computer-literate, I do know that they must be being picked up from somewhere, somehow, but what I can't make out is why!! As usual, there is probably a very simple, logical, explanation, which is staring me in the face, but I can't see it!

Cheers,
                Ged

Comment

I only have a single install, never used mini-routes. Always used train store.
                  I have no chance to see what you see, curious.

Comment

Originally posted by dforrestc View Post
                    I have 12,000+ consists and use Train Store to handle them in MSTS with no problem. I gave up waiting for them to load in the TSRE consist editor. It appears that the only way for me to reasonably use TSRS with this setup is to use Train Store.
                    TSRE should load 12,000 consists within seconds. So the problem is that it crashes during loading data. You need to find broken .con or .eng/.wag file. You need to look at the end of the log.txt file and se on what file it fails.

Comment

There probably is some error but what is it?

The last three lines of log.txt read:

[
                      I] "c:/1msts/train simulator/routes/llangollen/activities/dw_bh_br(m)_bala_wrex.act"
                      [I] converting to UTF16
                      [I] #ACT - undefined token: "s"

Comment

Probably this activity file is broken. Check if removing this file helps with TSRE loading.
                        You can send me this file if it works in MSTS/OR but crashes TSRE.

I think the file is broken - missing UTF16 BOM value at the beginning of the file, but still UTF16, so TSRE is trying to convert it to UTF16, but because it is already UTF16, it crashes.

Comment

Where can I find this free consist builder. Does it work inwindows 10

Comment

Originally posted by GokuMK View Post
                            Probably this activity file is broken. Check if removing this file helps with TSRE loading.
                            You can send me this file if it works in MSTS/OR but crashes TSRE.

I think the file is broken - missing UTF16 BOM value at the beginning of the file, but still UTF16, so TSRE is trying to convert it to UTF16, but because it is already UTF16, it crashes.
                            I think we have reached a limit. When I remove the file noted in log.txt, the same message in given for the next file in the folder.

Comment

Maybe all files are broken in this directory.

Originally posted by nryans34express View Post
                              Where can I find this free consist builder. Does it work inwindows 10
                              Here:

Comment

For some reason when I try and make a consist, I save it and exit out and it don't show up in the game...What am I doing wring that its not showing up when I run the sim and try and find it in the consists to run?

Comment

Working...
                                X