Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.sms nightmares

Hello all,
    Last week I went through some motions to uninstall/reinstall bin, as I did not have things working quite right on my system. After a bunch of gyrations, I finally got it where I wanted - with the sim running smoother, and looking and sounding better than ever.
    In my sequence of events, I did a WINXP system save, and at one point tried to do a restore from that point - which failed. Well, every time this has happened to me in the past, something got clobbered. This time, it seemed to clobber a boatload of .sms files. In almost every route either during startup, or during associated activities, I get "failed to load xxx.sms file".
    I'm having issues getting them all written down because some messages will pop on the screen in the sim if I am already in there, some will pop up on desktop if trying to start an activity, or some will not show at all, and hang the sim altogether because I can't just hit enter to ignore them. (these are the ones that worry me the most)
    Here are 2 that are a constant: X_refrige.sms, and w_tower.sms. Others I still have to write them down.
    My questions are - I assume these are global .sms files from the root sound folder? If so, how can I either, a) recover them, or b) tell MSTS not to use them. And how am I supposed to ever clear up the ones I can not see? (the ones that just leave the sim hanging, waiting for a response).

And please, don't preach "BACKUP BACKUP" to me. I was actually backing up my trains, routes, and global folder - but going forward, will backup the whole dang MSTS folder!

I really appreciate all suggestions at this point. Take care everyone,

Neil
    Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Dear Neil,

You are correct, these are basic original MSTS files from the Sound directory.

If I was in your situation, I would create a file such as 1_Train Simulator. Then Copy and Paste the contents of Train Simulator into it. This backs up all the files that you have.

Then I would do an uninstall/install of MSTS from the original CD so I would have all the original Sound files again.

Then I would Copy/Paste the Sound files into 1_Train Simulator and start MSTS up from the train.exe in 1_Train Simulator to see if it works.

You might want to try it yourself.

I keep a copy of the ORIG_Train Simulator on my hard disc at all times, it comes in handy.

Yours truly,
    Leland

Comment

It has been stated before on these forums that TrainSim does not like system restore and I would avoid using it if at all possible.The best way to guard against disaster is to have another hard drive,either external or internal where you keep a copy of MSTS which you know works including everything.Every time you add or amend something,copy it over once you know it works OK.The last thing you want or need to do is reinstall.

Comment

Hi Huys!

That made the old light bulb light up! I can just install MSTS on my older, secondary computer and copy the files from there. This way I'll have the vanilla set up on that machine as a backup, and won't have the need to alter folder names and all that to get this fixed up.
        Ragtimer,
        Didn't know until now that MSTS is spooked by system restore. My bigger issue though is why XP PRO did not like the backup when trying to reload it.

Thanks guys, at least ya got me thinking!

Neil
        Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Working...
        X