Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC and DC power locomotives

Collapse
Library File ID:
Highlight a file from the library you're discussing by entering the File ID number and clicking "Link Banner"
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC and DC power locomotives

Hi. I realized a short amount of people dont know the difference between locomotives. Well AC power is used usually to pull trains on steep grades. And DC power is used usually to pull trains on flat land, and small grades. I will show you a list of AC and DC power locomotives, and this type of stuff is makes two types of locomotives that look exactly the same, different.

AC, DC

SD70MAC SD70I

SD75MAC SD75I

AC4400CW Dash 9-44CW

SD70ACe SD70M-2

ES44AC ES44DC

Oh sorry, i placed this in the wrong forum, monitors can you please put it in he general forum for me please.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM.

Hi Daniel,

I think you have it wrong and are trying to simplify something that you cannot.

AC can be used to pull anything, but the major benefit of AC is that they can withstand a LOOOONG time going slow under full power. The dc loco's would blow traction motors when used like this.

That can start the discussion off. :-)

Comment

I feel that it's also noteworthy to mention that all the older and middle age equipment is DC. No one differentiated until the AC units came out.

From the FT all the way to GP60, all DC equipment.

James
      Railcar photos:inflammable.rrpicturearchives

Comment

Originally posted by derekmorton View Post
        AC can be used to pull anything, but the major benefit of AC is that they can withstand a LOOOONG time going slow under full power. The dc loco's would blow traction motors when used like this.
        There seem to be different philosophies on the use of AC engines tho...
        The western and midwest roads, BNSF, UP and KCS, seem to mostly use the ACs for unit coal trains (and UP's high-horsepower ACs seem to be used mostly on intermodal) whereas CP and CSX (and Conrail, when it existed) seems to use ACs for more the less anything (intermodal, mixed freight, unit trains, you name it). And then you have roads like NS and CN which seem to stick with DC power no matter what...

Comment

Working...
        X