X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PINNED TOPIC Archive & ATTENTION NEWCOMERS -- PLEASE READ

First, welcome to TrainSim.com, we know you have alot of questions, we have the answers.
    The most common questions are answered below. If you need additional help, please post
    your problem giving as much detail as possible.

Please keep in mind that we have members of all ages and both sexes, so please be civil
    to one and all.

************************************************** *****************************************

Tutorials at the Steam4Me site:

************************************************** *****************************************

Playing with Lighting Colors:

Hi, I'm having trouble finding the right color code for the dim setting of a diesel's headlight in the lights section. Here is a perfect example of what I'm trying to get.....mine never seem to have that orange look. https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=279274&highlight=dpu+light If anyone knows of a good

Those pesky Brake Sounds Repeating--What the triggers do:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=270664&highlight=bryce+brake+soun ds

MSTS and Vista issues and solutions:

What to do when MSTS don't want to run on Vista? I'm starting to see a lot of new topics regarding MSTS and new computers with Vista. I am going to tell you how to resolve some of your problems here. This is like FAQ sort of thing....... :D "Why does MSTS crashes on exiting the game?" To resolve this, Go to your

MSTS and Windows 7, 32 and 64 bits OS

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-or-64-bits-OS.

Too dark for you at night?

Hello guys... i was just wondering if there's any way to make routes brighter at night. The fact is that whenever i want to play a night activity i cant see s#%. and if i turn my monitor bright higher is the same... and it hurts my eyes. any tips..?

What is Trainstore and what does it do?

Train Store V3.2 has just been uploaded to the library and it is awaiting approval. SUMMARY ======= Train Store V3.2 now allows you to build multiple lists of Consists and Stock Items. A viewer to show Consists and Stock Items is now included. Maintenance Mode Path Lists are now available, and there is a facility to

The old "How To..." area:

Updating those eng and wag files for more realistic physics:

"Now, someday I will bug you about how to enhance engine performance, or maybe better stated, edit to their natural performance specs." I thought this query ought to get it's own thread. Lets start with resources that can be used. The following files cover the vast majority of all North American locomotives:

Wow, those clouds are moving fast....how to slow them down:

Hi, I have installed the Kosmos Badlands Summer Clear files, and they are great....super for desert running. However, the clouds are really going by fast.....it looks strange. How do you slow those down??? I did a search and found a thread about lowering the "wind" speed line at the bottom of the .env file.

Are your wheels sitting a little low on the rails?:

I noticed that the wheels on MLT and SLI locomotives and rolling stock seem to "dig in" to the rail. Is there an adjustment that can be made to fix this?

AI engines and sounds with BIN (sms files):

Hi, From the UK master tweak/hint site, I followed some short instructions to get AI and Helper engines properly throttling. I am not sure if I fully understand this, so please help me through this. This is what I did for all my AI SD-40's to test it out. In the xxxenf.sms file for each of these, I copied the scalability

Moving the point of view through a cabview:

I downloaded a set of cabs from the f/l. They are wonderful, but the engineers cabview needs to be moved to the right because when you go into right handed curves you cant see ahead and at the current setting, you can barely see the whistle boards. Example below. See how the head out needs to be moved to the right a bit. How

Daylight/contrast in the sim and working with ENV files:

One of the things that has disappointed me from day one with all the existing sims is that the lighting is so subdued. What I mean is that it never quite seems like high noon in the sim. The brightness and contrast is just not quite there and I think that detracts a good deal from the realistic feel that proper lighting would

Adjusting your night skies?:

Hi, When I drive at night in MSTS the color of the skies is too bright everywhere I go, even in the most remote areas. I have some commercial routes which have adventures during the night but it seems like the sun is rising constantly, is this built in the routes or is this programmed into MSTS ? It would be nice to have a

Seriously Advanced MSTS Debugging technique:

I've written a tutorial that some advanced users might find helpful when trying to figure out why MSTS has aborted. It's at Elvas Tower, here: http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2049 Guests are welcome to browse.

All about THE YARD VIEW--Using the Yard Cam Modifier program (Tutorial):

Is this still around?? Couldn't fine the file yrdcam40.zip in file section?

I have downloaded/installed the Yard Cam Modifier. I have used the program. Tried to use the #7 and it simply just does not work. Is there another yard cam modifier update coming? I have addressed this under another post, but the responses direct me to change the program content, but that simply is too difficult for me to

when using the free roam cam..........u must be in a yard to press 7 and it works.... is there anyway that u can use free roaming cam without having to be in a yard?

For a big list of some available routes, click below link:

Hi, In trying to put the Newcomer pinned thread back together, I have made this thread to have the list of US and Canada routes listed. The list came from: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/harlsb.../RouteList.htm You can find many routes for other countries there as well. It appears that the list has not been updated

************************************************** ******************************************

REINSTALLING MSTS: The problems you will run into and how to do it properly, click below:

Re-installing MSTS should only be considered after all other efforts of establishing the cause of problems have failed and there is no fully working recent BACK-UP of it ! All an MSTS Install from it's CDs does is to re-create it's Registry entries, not likely having been corrupted by user or add-ons actions, create the 6

Well folks, I hope Eaglefan's most recent nightmare will help cure people of the decided-to-reinstall-MSTS syndrome. How often have we seen similar posts like "I was having some problems with the sim, so I reinstalled MSTS but now..." The code to MSTS is read from, not written to. The only way it could get

NEW INSTALL INFO or MOVING MSTS to a new drive: And you have some things you want from a previous install:

I just installed a second hard drive and I want to use it primarily for train and flight simulator. I'm thinking that I need to do clean installations on the new hard drive and then copy the folders from my C: drive and allow overwriting in order to retain changes in default equipment and upgrades, etc. Has anyone else done

************************************************** *******************************************

SEARCHING: Put your key words in " " to create the "and" function so that it will find threads that have all of the words you choose.

************************************************** *******************************************

MSTS GRAPHICS PROBLEMS: Click the below link for answers:

Hi all. I have just bought MSTS. After installing it on my PC & running it, I was hugely disappointed. On ALL routes the terrain is just not there. Some small parts of the scenery sometimes appear. The loco & carriages are not there, just the wheels of the loco & the exhaust. This is not the great white void

SPANNED ZIP FILES: How to install them without going crazy, click below:

Lots of new folks joining the Fora... An occasional brushup on the methods should help. The following three installation methods will produce a successful install with every single route utilizing spanned zip files produced by RouteRiter now in the file library. Please note that WinZip 8.0 or earlier or the Win XP Wizard are

WHEN YOUR ADD ON DOESN'T WORK!! Click below link for help:

1) Read the README file that came with the download or is available under the *view* tab before you download. "Downloader Beware" 2) Send the developer an email if you have a problem... yes, the one in the README file. 3) Give them a day or two to answer their email. 4) Using the forum to create a

CRITICIZING OTHERS WORK: How to do it with tact & grace, click below:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=196915&highlight=CRITICIZING%2AOT HERS%2AWORK

QUALITY vs QUANITY: What's better? 1 excellent model or 10 mediocre models; click below to find out:

Dear all, just something that I come across very much lately. Some creators do not seem to take the time anymory that is needed to get it "just right". My advise is, people, please take your time, there is no obligation to put out as many repainted boxcars, hoppers and what not else as you can. Those models

************************************************** ********************************************

Train derails to easy... bounding boxes the culprit?

I just started running a freight train on whitehawk 4 from bonners and was right at 70mph in a 70 and derailed. had this problem on whitefish6 but different engines. i took some photos of the bounding boxes as it shows a sight to see from these highly detailed cars that are fairly new in the library yet no "fixes".

************************************************** ********************************************

ATI Video cards settings and tweaks

I just rediscovered this in my huge list of Train sim bookmarks. This weblink is for the ATI cards to know what those settings are and what to do with them. http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html Lo and behold. just what i needed. Now I'm encouraged again to keep on trying. Can someone add this to a stickie.

SHAPE FILES-LODs AND PERFORMANCE: "Something for the brave (or foolhardy)":

Hi Starting with a big WARNING or two! - If you don't know what a shape file is, you probably shouldn't read farther. - If you don't want to know how a shape file is laid out, you probably shouldn't read farther. - If you do use this idea, you will learn more about shape files than you probably wanted to know! -

RAILDRIVER--Trouble getting it to see your HUD?:

Hello all, I received my rail driver last week, after finally deciding to make the investment, and found it not to work. While I have been in communication with PI engineering's technical support they still have yet to solve the problem. While I wait for the next response, I thought I would request the help of the community

John

Darby Creek RR

"BNSFLADY"
    CYNDI RICHARDS
    You will always
    be here with us.
    Last edited by eric; 11-30-2023, 04:31 PM.

Several of the threads have been found and updated above. If anyone finds one that I have not been able to find, please PM me with the link.

Also, if you see a thread that should be listed here, please PM me with the link so it can be considered.

Bryce
    Last edited by Busdriver; 12-30-2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Several threads added to this list.

Please let me know if you see any threads that should be pinned/added.

Bryce

Comment

I just added another new thread about How to resolve issues in MSTS and Vista here in PC Tech forum.
        sigpic
        My Facebook Page
        Rails of the World Forum
        Mophouse-MLTDownloads Froum

Comment

Getting started in MSTS--what to do!

Following is a work-in-progress that was written primarily by fluteman70 (Fred). Other ideas have been entered from others who have suggested items to include:

First and foremost, go to https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forumdisplay.php?f=64 and read ATTENTION NEWCOMERS---- You will find a lot of answers here.

Get going with MSTS:
          1) Start with disk 1 and follow the directions. For some reason, my disks, which I purchased some years ago did not include the US2.…….cars. I went and got mp3kcons.zip to obtain the missing freight cars. These can be found at http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/msts-downloads/ along with other useful items you might add.
          2) MSTS update to version 1.2 Found several places - here is one http://www.microsoft.com/games/train...downloads.aspx
          3) Install bin patch http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm

Read the instructions.
          4) Now run MSTS. Try out some routes and get used to what this program is all about. Don’t try too much at one time.
          3) Join some forums. Especially https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/. Become a
          premium member for the File Library.
          4) Adding activities is much easier right now than trying to add a new route.
          Check out Utilities - Tsunpack-fix. Here is one several places.
          http://www.railserve.com/Computers/MSTS/Utilities. When adding
          an activity, read the “read me”. It may require rolling stock you do not
          have. This is where www.trainsim.com will help you. They have a file
          Download area.
          5) Still keep it simple at this point and do a lot of reading. There is a raft of
          information out there.

ALWAYS read README files and instructions as you install things.
          6) Other items that are useful as you learn more (especially if you start
          adding routes. They are: ConBuilder, Trainstore, and Route
          Riter. I use Route Control from time to time. There are some things there
          that are helpful. Read it.
          7) Some routes require Xtracks and Newroads. A lot of information can be
          found here:
          http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai.../newroads.html
          8) When you add or change anything, make a backup FIRST of that file or folder.
          When you add or change anything, make a backup.
          When you add or change anything, make a backup.
          9) Some things, when all else fails, concerning MSTS can be found be
          going to Google Search and type in msts xxxxxxx (where x stands
          for the searched for item.
          10) There are more tutorials than you can read. Just do a search.
          11) This is just a very basic “tutorial” and when you find yourself
          facing a real problem, go to https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/. Where
          the experts are found and they will more than willing to help you.

12) DO REGULAR BACKUPS of the entire TrainSimulator Folder. This can be done to a DVD if you have a small installation (not many add-ons). Or, get an external hard drive and back up to that. This way, if something gets corrupted, you have the ability to get the old file back. This is critical if you install lots of add-ons and do custom configurations. All those hours can end up being wasted if you do not have a backup. Be careful having your backup on the same drive as your installation so that if something happens to your installation drive, you will likely still have your data on the other drive. If everything is on the one drive and it crashes, you are starting over. You might even consider having a drive that is kept off-site in case something happens to your entire computer set-up.

Lastly, don’t get frustrated. Take time and learn about the program. Many people have started out and had to learn this stuff. Then, oddly, many find themselves enjoying all of the tinkering more than running the trains.

Bonus Information/ideas:

Suggestion:
          1) Buy a smart uninstaller like "Your Uninstaller". It not only uninstalls the program but cleans the registry of all the junk left behind. It will also clean up an installation that says the uninstaller is corrupt. Just "deleting" a route doesn't get rid of it.
          2) It has been my experience that even the so called "best uninstallers" leave junk.
          3) Then get something like Uniblue and finish getting rid of whatever junk the other programs missed. Each program is different and will find things others miss.
          4) I don't recommend this step unless you know what you are doing. After running all "uninstall-dejunk" programs. I use regedit and still clean out material that was left behind. You will see a speed up in your computer overall and a more stable MSTS.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Fred

Comment

Above is the edited version of the getting started thread that used to be the "Suggestions from a Novice" thread.

If you know some info that would be helpful, put it in a paragraph below, and I'll insert it in the post.

Bryce

Comment

Originally posted by Busdriver View Post
              Above is the edited version of the getting started thread that used to be the "Suggestions from a Novice" thread.

If you know some info that would be helpful, put it in a paragraph below, and I'll insert it in the post.

Bryce
              Fred

I'm NEW at this so I'm following your "START-UP check list and found out that when I went to (3) Install bin patch http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm
              Read the instructions.) I did not fined this file in there list of down loads?

Cheers
              Buda

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
                Fred

I'm NEW at this so I'm following your "START-UP check list and found out that when I went to (3) Install bin patch http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm
                Read the instructions.) I did not fined this file in there list of down loads?

Cheers
                Buda
                At the bottom of the page http://mstsbin.uktrainsim.com/eng/download.htm you will find 3 boxes across the page. The download he is refering to is the "Stable Release" on the left side.
                Charles

Comment

HI FRED
                  hOW DOES ONE USE REGEDIT AND WHERE DOES ONE OBTAIN THAT. HAVE UN-INSTALLED MSTS ABOUT 10 TIMES AND STILL GET ERROR MESSAGES WHEN USING TOOL EDITOR. PLEASE HELP OUT THANKS CORRIE

Comment

Check out this thread concerning reinstalling:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=279734

Also this may be useful:

http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai.../new_msts.html

regedit is part of the standard Windows install and can be run by selecting start->run and entering "regedit" into the dialog.

Be aware: regedit is a powerful tool and mistakes can easily disable your computer and require a complete reinstall of Windows! You can back up the keys you are planning to change by selecting file->export. Also a system restore point would be advisable.

Also, a point of forum etiquette: Unless your I/O device is a Model 33 Teletype, there should be no reason to type in all UPPER CASE.

Jon
                    Last edited by jonpd; 02-25-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Jonpd
                      Thanks a million for your guidance. Will not touch regedit!!! How does one reinstall the Tools Editor , cause mine seems to bombout everytime I start you use it. Dont want to re install the complete MSTS package only the Editor !!! please advise what to do

Comment

The tools editor gets reinstalled as part of the MSTS install. Perhaps if you posted more detail as to what error you are getting we could trouble shoot your installation. We should probably do this as a new thread rather than cluttering up the sticky with it.

Jon

Comment

Hi Jonpd

Creating an activity with the Editor causes a PROBLEM and the program shuts down. After defining the path and consists, start en end point one wish to add consists on the unused tracks to make the activity more realistic. The moment I add a consist and move futher down the track the screen freezes and the system shuts down. I have tried to restart and have given up on the editor. I Dont want to reinstall the complete pakage as I have just recently doen that. Any suggestions. Thanks a million fir your help

Comment

Hi Anthonie,

Don't be afraid of regedit, just be careful with it. If you decide to delete or modify an entry in the registy, you can import it so it can be returned to you registry. Create a file called "registry import" and send the entry there. Then all you have to do is double click on it and it is returned to the registry. I'll give you an easy on. Go to "Start", click on "Run" and type regedit, click on edit, click on find and type in 'hwrenderer'

Set value of 'Showlogo' (near the botton of the page) from 1 to 0. How do you do that? Double click on Showlogo, a new box appears, change the 1 to 0 and click ok and now the splash screen is gone.

If I am not clear or you need more help email mail me?
                            Regards,

P.S. There are many good articles in the forum. As mentioned above check http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai.../new_msts.html. I also save my Consists and Trainset to be able to use as needed after MSTS reinstall. I would also like to mention one last thing. I have used "Your Unistaller" (a smart un-installer) to remove msts. It seems to do a better job than just deleting msts. Before running a smart uninstall move your trainset and consists to another area.

One final thing. I didn't intend this to turn into a thesis. Open Train Simulator and drag the icon labeled launcher to the desktop. Now click on properties and you will see "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\launcher.exe"skip a space and type -runeditor, type apply. This may help you get to editor better.

One more final thing - save your sound & cab files. You will find this: Common.snd, Command cab and sometimes MC.Snd
                            Fred
                            Last edited by fluteman70; 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Hi Fred

You are most kind. Thanks a million. Will follow your leads and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X