Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These renumbers utilized Pet Willard fonts. 3002 is accurate, based on pictures I have (which show Arial font combined with shop flourish for the numbers and CRR sublettering, which I attempted to duplicate free-hand). 3024 is completely inaccurate, as the sunshades were removed IRL. Feel free to delete it from your downloads.

Comment

3024 has been updated with some model and texture changes. I learned how to make targeted changes to shape files by making specific edits to prim_states. This allowed me to remove the sunshades and add handgrips to the front and rear pilots. I also updated the sublettering/numbers with a Nimbus Sans font for the lettering and Pete's FL font for the numbers, and added some "text" to the pilot as well. This should be in the library, and should update the original 3024 files in crr_fl_sd40s.zip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRRFL3024_updates.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2294942

3002 remains unchanged, as it kept its sunshades (at least through part of its life), did not have handgrips, and the shop used an Arial-type font for it's lettering/numbers.

Comment

I'm trying to decide what to do.....

When I did the Clinchfield SD40s, I gave them all the yellow number boards. This is accurate for most of them (at least for some point in their life), but isn't actually accurate for all of them. Some never received yellow number boards, but kept the grey ones the entire time they were painted in the grey/yellow scheme. Others (at least 1) received a white number board. Also, the grab bar details on the pilots of v1 (and v2, actually) are somewhat off. The more I looked at some of the details, the more it bothered me. So I recently went back in and did a trial modification to a v1 shape file to see if I could impact the pilot by editing the prim states and alpha channels. Turns out that I could.

So this (with the part that sticks up and curves inwards, outlined in red, that is not correct):
        Click image for larger version  Name:	pilot1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	2305662

now looks like this (rounded off, with no protrusion, that is more correct):

Click image for larger version  Name:	pilot2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	2305663

I figured out some time ago that I could also poke holes in the pilot via prim state modification and alpha channel, to better simulate the grabs that were installed there (see the FL units above vs just creating the illusion of a hole via texture like the first pic in this post). Again, this treatment wasn't applied to all of the CRR SD40s IRL--some got it, some didn't. But I could modify/update my CRR SD40s with similar treatment, where applicable.

I have multiple pictures of all of the CRR SD40s (2 CDs, 4 physical books, several internet resources) at various points in their life. I also have text versions of changes that many of them went through across their lifespan. So I can get a pretty good idea of what each one should look like, at what point.

With all of that in mind, I decided to update the textures for class leader, #3000. I don't have any evidence that it ever had the yellow number boards while in the grey/yellow paint (even though my original upload incorrectly has it with them), and I do have evidence it was painted black. So here are the 2 versions, with texture and model modifications applied.

The yellow/grey scheme (updated to have better pilot details and grey number boards)

Click image for larger version  Name:	3000g.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	2305664

and the black scheme that was applied sometime in the early 1970s (with updated shape file and unique chevron design on the pilot that differs from the other black SD40s on the roster).

Click image for larger version  Name:	3000b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	2305665

The problem is trying to decide if it's worth updating the original SD40 package. This isn't a simple texture update, that could be dropped into the existing folder--it would require replacing multiple shape files (the actual shape file, and also the cabview shape file), and renaming those shape files in order to swap between the two texture options.... Plus all the accompanying 3d cab/OR eng files. And it wouldn't just be 3000, but also any updates to other units (removing sunshades, poking holes in the pilot, snipping pilot grab bars....) would suffer the same problem of not being "plug-and-play" replacements because it's not just textures. But, it's also not a complete overhaul, or brand new model (i.e. an upgrade from a Flintstone wheels legacy model to a new TS model). And even then some details on the model aren't correct(able by me). So I'm tempted to say the current package is "good enough"--there are enough options currently uploaded to get several relatively accurate Clinchfield SD40s in the sim(s). But....I also know I could do better to make some of those numbers a little more realistic.... Which may be "important" just to me and not the general sim population ha ha. I didn't mind doing the FL ones, because there were only 2 and it was mostly plug-and-play. But this would be updating several models. Which would kind of be a pain. The CRR SD40 download looks relatively popular, though. So maybe there would be significant interest?
        Last edited by yellowdog; 06-14-2024, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Some time in the late 70s that upward handle became regulations, related to the abolishment of footboards and riding outside the stairwell pocket. The old design was suitable when riding footboards, the later was suitable for riding in the stairwell pocket.
          My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

That makes sense! Thanks for that tidbit!

Comment

I remember at our local NRHS chapter, in 1977, one of the professional railroaders in the club gave a brief presentation on the "new regulations" that would soon be going into effect. Because there were quite a few model railroaders in the club, he specifically pointed out that the footboards would have to be removed. But there were many more changes than that, enough to fill a book, but mostly not noticeable to an outsider.

Something else significant that changed in that bundle of new regulations was anything requiring signals to be placed only on the right (engineer's) side of the tracks. Before 1980 it was rare to see a signal on the left side of the tracks. They were supposed to be on the right side of the track, or on an overhead structure above the right rail of the track, unless there was some special condition which required the signal to placed otherwise.

Yes, that means that there are a lot of routes in the library that purport to be steam era (or the transition era) which have signals placed incorrectly. But on the better routes such as Feather River, or Conn River, the route builders got it right.

Some things that did not change on account of the 1977 regulations were cabooses and ditch lights. The cabooses were removed on a line-by-line basis in the eighties as new labor contracts were negotiated with unions. Ditch lights were mandated by federal law in the mid-nineties. Also, side point, the roofwalks were gone before the 1977 regulations.

To summarize, there was a brief period where the footboards were gone but the cabooses were still there, and then there was a period where the cabooses were gone but the ditch lights weren't there yet. For that reason, it's helpful to keep in mind which era that we're modeling in.

Comment

Working...
              X