Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help with a CNW Crandall Cab freight animation...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help with a CNW Crandall Cab freight animation...

For those who've never seen these beasts, my beloved Cheap & Nothing Wasted managed to find a way to slap a cab on some E9B's during the early 70's instead of buying up new power. Functional, yes, but they were all scrapped by the early 80's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vqgD4x72.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2294481

I've taken this about as far as I have patience for... Using Dick Cowen's excellent E8 Kit, I was able to kitbash his A unit with a freight animation I'd done in Sketchup... Due to some layering on the B-units, I had to revert to using the A-unit and alpha'd out the nose & windshield, which worked somewhat better than I expected.

From a distance, it's quite tolerable, but the closer up you get, the alpha sorting gets goofy and the underlying shapefile start bleeding thru...

That's just part of the problem, but I also need to add in all the other details that are part of the default animation, including the horns, roof details, etc...

If someone has worked with Dick's model before, and has some idea, I'm up for suggestions...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eric; 01-30-2024, 03:18 AM.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

I'd move it forward more to hide the original windshield, that would get it closer to the true shape anyway.

sigpic

Comment

They were monstrously ugly. Crews hated them as well. Somewhere in my slides I have one of those things heading east to the paint shops. It had the cab and was still in UP paint with the red lettering removed.

Comment

Yep, been trying to eyeball the measurements, and haven't yet found a good source for actual measurements or a good side-on shot that I could measure against... Most of the shots I've seen are from at-an-angle-looking-up perspective...

Ugly they may be, they're one of my favorites, and are the subject of one of the few photos I still have from my old Kodak [redacted] that I used sparingly when I was in [redacted] grade..... we actually had to pay for our photos back then...
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Can't find any drawings, but here's a side view shot:

https://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1790644

Funny part is that wasn't the worst act of vandalism committed by the C&NW, they took some 1920s era gas-electric railcars, sawed off the front end, and rebuilt them as diesel-electrics;

I don't even know what they called those abortions, this is the only pic I've ever seen of one, but apparently they did make several.
          Last edited by eric; 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I liked the ugly things too. Kinda like liking an ugly dog. Different from the everyday motors you would see. The Doodlebugs were favorite victims of experiments. The CGW had a number that they hacked up and wound up using them as light duty branch line switchers. These are the things that make cool models.

Comment

That gas-electric hack job I think is hideous but the Crandall Cabs I think are pretty cool looking. Why did the crews hate them? No room for sound proofing thus making them extra noisy? That's about the only thing I can think of.. Also I think the Rock's B units with a cab were pretty cool.. Made it look like a diesel boxcab...
              Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Comment

Crandall cabs, yikes - run for the hills!
                After being graced with the beautiful E & F leaders, even as a youngster, it was all I could do to not vomit.
                Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

From what I've read, the Crandalls weren't exactly comfortable -- plexiglass side windows, the cab wasn't as well insulated from sound, heat, cold, and they had relatively poor visibility.

Other than that, they probably rode just like a regular E-8.

I've thought about doing a Rock Island B-cab... it would be a lot less work, for certain.

Thanks for the links above -- I think I got the proportions a little cleaner now, and the bleed-thru is hidden much better...

Click image for larger version

Name:	x3QBdNUZ.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2294477 Click image for larger version

Name:	lIzPwZ0Z.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2294478 Click image for larger version

Name:	z9OJY6M7.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	2294479
                  Last edited by eric; 01-30-2024, 03:17 AM.

Comment

What a nasty piece of history to model! You have a different taste in what is cool but I can appriciate it!
                    *Upcoming release of MSTS Magazine*

-Erich Mohler

Comment

(Yes, I know hardly anyone from this original thread is still around.... but it goes to show that not all projects happen quickly)

It took eleven years, but it's finally happening, not as a freight animation on a 15 year old model, but on a fairly high detail version that Brandon Smith had lying around that is now a Blender project.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500373.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	2294474

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500375.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	2294475
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500374.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	2294476

It's up there with the Pooch as the ugliest locomotive around, but also something that I grew up with.

Texturing has a long way to go, but this is officially my first locomotive model...
                      Last edited by eric; 01-30-2024, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Kitbash.... 😁

Comment

Hi Eric,

Looks good - well - for being other than a real E unit. It's the AMC Pacer of locomotives.

If you don't have it and haven't seen one of my previous suggestions - download TexTools from Github - it will help you MASSIVELY on your Baking, Mapping, and Texturing tasks. I can't believe it's free.

Still only Blender 3.6 as far as I'm aware.

TexTools:

Regards,
                          Scott​
                          Last edited by scottb613; 01-30-2024, 03:07 PM.
                          <a href=https://www.trainsim.com/forums/filedata/fetch?filedataid=80663&type=full title=thumb_80663.png >thumb_80663.png</a>​ My Blender Models

Comment

I heard even the crews hated that locomotive, especially in the winter.
                            Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Comment

Originally posted by eolesen View Post
                              Yep, been trying to eyeball the measurements, and haven't yet found a good source for actual measurements or a good side-on shot that I could measure against... Most of the shots I've seen are from at-an-angle-looking-up perspective...

Ugly they may be, they're one of my favorites, and are the subject of one of the few photos I still have from my old Kodak [redacted] that I used sparingly when I was in [redacted] grade..... we actually had to pay for our photos back then...
                              Hi Eric,

For dimensions I'd start with a EMD E9-B. SInce these are based off the UPRR E9 B units the C&NW aquired.

As for the cab portion. Well, That's the tricky part lol!

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X