Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a new stream to an sms file

Hi all!

As the topic states I am having some troubles with this of late. I wish to add a Hasler speedometer to a cab file of a number of my locomotives (from another locomotive) . Now if it is possible is there some way to make it a permanent sound in the cab ? I'm aware that initial triggers such as the idling wave are are permanent sound (until you notch up). If this is not possible I would just like to add the stream to the sms file I have found this quite hard (I am no expert) what I have been trying is simply copying the stream in and trying to have the right spacing and symbols etc, also adding a new stream comment at the top but all I got was errors and when it finally seemed like working there were no sounds in the cab at all!

Thanks for any help

Here is the stream (this is the original non permanent one)

Stream (
    Skip Skip ( **** Sound of speed-meter **** )
    Priority ( 5 )
    Triggers ( 4
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 1.4 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "tsrSound-skorostemer.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 40 ReleaseLoopRelease () )

Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 40 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "tsrSound-skorostemer.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
    Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Dec_Past 1.4 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
    http://i44.tinypic.com/4t2ion.jpg

I imagine you are putting the stream in the scalability group 5 section at the beginning of the cab.SMS . Did you increase the number of streams by 1 ?
    Just a thought .
    Rod

Comment

Originally posted by T-413 View Post
      but all I got was errors
      What were these errors?

Originally posted by T-413 View Post
      Skip Skip ( **** Sound of speed-meter **** )
      "Skip Skip"?

Comment

Read Ralf Hagen's tutorial on the Steam4Me site and use context instead of wordpad to edit files.

Comment

Yer armchair i resolved that issue myself, and yes i added an extra stream and even a comment at the top about the new stream is there any particualr section to put new additions to an sms file because i tryed from scratch again last night as best i could but once again there were no sounds in cab at all.

Comment

This is not an insult to your intelligence 'cause I've done this myself , but , - - - did you remember to bring the .wav file over to the sound directory of the model involved with the SMS . That drove me nuts for almost a day once when I was doing the same thing as you are . By the way - - You said no sounds at all - - not even the ones before the addition ?
            Rod
            Last edited by bwbrgb; 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Yer that could have been a problem but i do have a "basic knowledge" of sms files. Now the sounds work fine in cab I add this stream to the sms file update accordingly ( to the best of my knowledge) then I go in game and the cab is silent nothing at all the best i have found so far is the engine noises work in cab but thats all no horn, switches etc.

If anyone has added a new stream to an sms file before could they please outline it how they did it and it worked so I can just add it with no problems.

Thanks

Comment

Have you bothered to read my previous post?

Comment

Context isn't necessary, I've used notepad without a hitch for years.

If you want the sound to constantly play, you would be best served just using a StartLoop trigger. I don't remember if MSTS needs a frequency and volume curve in a case like this, so I threw one in that will maintain a constant volume and rate for good measure:

Stream (
                  Priority ( 6 )
                  Triggers ( 1
                  Initial_Trigger ( StartLoop ( 1 File ( "tsrSound-skorostemer.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
                  FrequencyCurve(
                  SpeedControlled
                  CurvePoints ( 2
                  -10 11025
                  10 11025
                  )
                  Granularity ( .001 )
                  )
                  VolumeCurve(
                  SpeedControlled
                  CurvePoints ( 2
                  -10 1.0
                  10 1.0
                  )
                  Granularity ( 0.01 )
                  )
                  )
                  )

The sample frequency curve assumes the wav is saved in an 11025Hz format. If it's at any other sampling rate, you will need to adjust to match.

Use the Steam4Me tutorial for basic guidance for triggers and SMS formatting only. It contains some half-truths and a few outright lies, particularly where wav formatting is concerned. You can name any external or internal sound clip anything you want so long as it's properly referenced. You can use any sampling rate you want, provided it's properly provided for in the sms file. Variable2 is also not an unused variable, it's diesel engine RPM. You can also name your SMS files whatever you want, so long as the locomotive or car properly references them.
                  Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 05-15-2010, 03:41 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thansk you very much eric, thats all i was looking for. Very helpful

And yes ragtimer I checked that tut and it just outlines what the files are and how they are used. There seems to be virtually no tuts on the ways to add an extra stream to an sms file.

Comment

Ralf Hagen's document was written in 2002 and obviously other things have been discovered as in many other areas of the sim.No it does not tell one specifically how to create or insert a new stream but I think reading it and using a little brainpower will show you the way.Many sms files from e.g The Train.de have streams in them which when suitably modified would give the effect you desire.I am afraid I am a mere mortal and find context so helpful showing bracket errors in all types of MSTS files and would not go back to notepad which is as much use in this context (excuse the pun) as a chocolate teapot.
                      If people are merely given the answers to these problems they will not understand (and keep on making errors) or be able to progress in the file handling skills that this sim demands.

Comment

I agree with you to a point, but I work 6/7 days for long hours and simply do not have the time or will to devote all my spare time to deciphering these files. (I play this game for relaxing enjoyment) I have buit up a basic understanding but I don't intend to spend hours (which I have sometimes have) trying to figure everything out in this game.

As for any help Im very thankful and enjoy the benefits greatly.

Comment

Working...
                        X