X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could anyone take a look at this?

Hello! I am trying to make a sound update for the Swedish Rc6 electric locomotive. The loco is using sounds for an hungarian locomotive wich sounds quite similar. One of the main differences, however, are the sounds of the engine cooling fans. The sound file is using the "wipers" command to turn the fans on/off manually.

Anyways, I have recorded the fan sounds from a real Rc6-locomotive, but I can´t get it to work correctly in the sim. When I try to play the sounds in VLC player it sounds right, however in the sim it just sounds strange.

Anyone who is experienced in sound design who could take a look in the file and see what is wrong?

Greetings from Sweden!

Do you mean the V63c fan ("szellozo") wav files? They are all encoded at a bit rate of 88kbps and mono.

The wav files in the Sound folder are encoded with the usual 176kbps mono for external sounds and 352kbps stereo for internal sounds, as normal.

See: http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html#sounds

Comment

Yes, thoose are the files I meant. I am a complete novice in sound design so I hope I can make it work somehow...
      Greetings from Sweden!

Comment

Yikes! That's a BIG file you have. Definitely looks like you haven't transitioned some to 11khz. I can easily fix them for you, and will post a new link here when done.

Comment

Kinda jumped the gun, and didn't look at all your fan components firstly. So I corrected and modified the first two to play, loop, and release accordingly. I processed the remainder WAV's as well - but don't think you'll be needing them now.

Anyhow - the new fixed fan sounds are here at this link http://www.box.net/shared/glvs6hl755zfqa9i6nz6

Comment

Thank you very much!!!
            Greetings from Sweden!

Comment

Here is the new sounds "in action"!

Greetings from Sweden!

Comment

Thanks so much for doing the video, as I get to see and hear how these sounds work as well. I'm not at all familiar with Swedish loco's and such, and see I probably shouldn't have cut, looped, and rolled off that first set of 'start up' noises for the fan, as they seem to be synced with Speed and all. Let me fix the first two, and I'll post them here right away.

Comment

Okay Billpers, i think I got the hang of it now. So the first two has been 'unlooped', and all WAV's have been calibrated to be at constant volumes. Which you had pretty good in the first place. So try these out by replacing all again, and hopefully will be a smoother transition of the 3 inside and out. New link - http://www.box.net/shared/vkjr9ckg2nz09c18ahug

Comment

It´s even better now, thank you!
                    Greetings from Sweden!

Comment

No problem. I've been helping out others with steam sounds and such, but don't have the engines to try them out on. I just like sound and production pretty well (hence my name. ) So it's tough to go back and forth with some people in PM's and e-mails as to 'there's a click on that thing, and the 3rd notch should be louder, but as the 5th...' A little more difficult than dealing with heavy metal bands and trance vocalists in the studio. So your video was a great guide for me to work off of, and glad all work nicely for you now.

Let's see Brian Eno and Flood do THAT for someone. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X