Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Parker, same engine. Also called 265H. Check out link I posted, explains the whole history.

Mike

Comment

Currently, I have created an eng.sms file based on the AC6000CW eng.sms file.

This sms file has been edited so that it plays back BOTH ALCO 251 AND AC6000CW engine sounds simultaneously. Both sounds are from Matt Florack sound pack. So I think this sound combination provides a more realistic SD90MAC-H engine sound, at least for the moment. And in comparison to some videos I've watched/listened to of SD90MAC-H's so far, the overall sound seems fairly close!

Comment

Would it be possible to capture the sound from a pass-by video and edit that?

One problem I would expect is that if you only have a full-speed sound (run 8) it might have things that don't show up at lower notches. For instance, at what point does the turbo really spool up and how does that sound (run 3 or 4)? Unfortunately, there weren't very many H-engine EMDs built, and none are still used, so you won't have much ability to record your own.

Comment

Run 7 & 8, as far as I remember

Mike

Comment

> Unfortunately, there weren't very many H-engine EMDs built, and none are still used, so you won't have much ability to record your own.

There are 300 running in China.

Comment

Originally posted by derekmorton View Post
              > Unfortunately, there weren't very many H-engine EMDs built, and none are still used, so you won't have much ability to record your own.

There are 300 running in China.
              According to this, there are 334 HXN3 locomotives in China. The HXN3 is based on the SD90MAC-H (6000 hp) locomotive.

One video I've watched on You Tube for this locomotive (HXN3), the engine sound does indeed sound ALCO'ish, but still has a strong "grunt" sound also. The audio is not the best due to wind and other noises on the video, so I don't think this audio could be used (easily)? Plus it is not known at what throttle setting the HXN3 was when it passed by.

Comment

Working...
              X