First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scefhwil
    replied
    RE: Does this bother anyone else ?

I have some SERIOUS hardware problems on my main PC at the moment so can't access my MSTS install. I will post an example when I have access to my files back though.

Leave a comment:

• chp56
    replied

Going back to your original query, try placing the key5 Passenger View to match a 'head out of cab' position, using an Inside () section in the Wagon () part of the loco's .eng file. If you then edit the xxxcab.sms file by putting the PassengerCam() in the Activation () section, then this will give you part of what you wanted. Stuart, could you possibly post an example of this?

Leave a comment:

• scefhwil
    replied

I've tried (while just experimenting) the Cabview sounds on all the time. It sounds very odd to be in key4 view and hear the approaching trian at the same, loud, volume at distance and as it is passing directly by; not prototypical IMHO. But your best bet is to try it out yourself. Simply move the CabCam(), PassengerCam() or ExternalCam() statements about between the Deactivation( ) and Activation () sections. This never harmed my MSTS install, it just gave some odd sound effects.

Re the Ignore3d (), I've not experimented with this yet. Why not give it a go and report back? So far I've not found the messing around with .sms files to be at all dangerous to the install. You just get a crash out during loading of a route, usually with an error message giving the line no. of the offending instruction in the .sms file. Sometimes the sim continues with odd sound effects, other times it gives the MS "please beta test for us" message. You will however not get any other key5 views whilst using such a modified loco.

Going back to your original query, try placing the key5 Passenger View to match a 'head out of cab' position, using an Inside () section in the Wagon () part of the loco's .eng file. If you then edit the xxxcab.sms file by putting the PassengerCam() in the Activation () section, then this will give you part of what you wanted.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• chp56
    replied

"What you've described as wanting I don't believe can be achieved.
    It is possible therefore to associate the inside cab sounds to the 'head out of cab' view (but not only if facing forwards), but then all other 'external views' will hear it as well, ie line side pan!" Would that be a big problem,though? It seems like that's the way we hear anyway,if I'm understanding "line-side pan" correctly...by the way, I was looking through the "Template" folder, and I noticed this line in the "ingame.sms" file(in the Sound sub-directory): Tr_SMS (
    ScalabiltyGroup( 3
    Activation ( ExternalCam() CabCam() PassengerCam() )
    Deactivation( )
    Ignore3d ()
    Streams ( 3
    Stream ( What is "Ignore3d ()" meant for? I wonder if placing it in the Activation line would do anything?

Leave a comment:

• scefhwil
    replied

What you've described as wanting I don't believe can be achieved. To explain way is probably best done by describing my understanding of how sound works in the sim. (This is offered as my own understanding and thus is not claimed to be fully accurate or complete).

1. The sim uses sound configurations that are 'soft coded' by the use of .sms files. These define the controlled playing of multiple streams of .wav files. (Won't say any more as this is a huge area to describe).

2. The sim uses three basic sound environments (my terminology), cab view, external view and passenger view (ie as referred to the Activation/Deactivation sections of a .sms file). These are 'hard coded' into the sim, and differ (as best as I have noticed) as follows:-

Cab view - large range of real-time triggers available (ie loco related variables and discrete event triggers). Sound does not vary in volume according to camara distance or orientation. AI train and ambient sounds have a fixed volume, switched on only when within 60m of the cab view position.

External view - smaller range of real-time triggers available. Sound does vary in volume according to camara distance and orientation. AI train and ambient sounds vary in volume with distance from the camara position.

Passenger view - small range of real-time triggers available (no discrete triggers). Sound does not vary in volume according to camara distance or orientation. AI train and ambient sounds have a fixed volume, switched on only when within 60m of the cab view position.

3. The sim has a pre-defined number of camara views, activated by an associated key press, or series of key presses. The number of view is 'hard coded' into the sim. The key press association is 'soft coded'.

4. There are three means of designating a sound configuration (ie an .sms file) when considering engines. (Each is designed to coincide with one of the above environments). The .sms called up in the Wagon () section -> external view. The .sms called up in the Engine () section -> cab view. The .sms called up in a Inside () subsection -> passenger view. An .sms called up in one of these sections has to work within the criteria of the environment (as detailed in 1. above). This seems 'hard coded' as I have not found a config file to allow this to be altered.

(Note: cab view sounds in the sim are only stereo because two-channel .wav files are used and the Stereo() command exists in the .sms file in order to alter the play-back sampling rate. This need not be the case as mono .wav files can be used if the .sms is written to allow it.)

There is not a direct relationship between camara view and sound configuration(s) played. Camara views are related to sound environments (this is 'hard coded' into the sim so cannot be altered). Sound configurations are related to sound environements (this is 'soft coded' within the .sms files, and multiple associations are possible).

ie The 'head out of cab' view is an 'external view' environment so you will hear the sound generated by which ever of the three .sms files (three as explained in 4. above) are associated with to this environment. It is possible therefore to associate the inside cab sounds to the 'head out of cab' view (but not only if facing forwards), but then all other 'external views' will hear it as well, ie line side pan!

I hope this makes sense. Others no doubt will disagree.

Regards

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• chp56
    replied

That might be okay as long as you're only facing forward, but when you swivel you're "head" to the rear, won't the volume be way too loud then? I guess what I'd like to achieve is having the cabview sound playing when I'm actually using the "headout" view...so that the volume does'nt change when you swivel your view around...

Leave a comment:

• RickCan
    replied

I also have a P4, W98SE, 758MB RAM, GeFordce 3 64MB, SB Live XGamer 5.1 with Cambridge DTT3500 Digital speakers. I have never lost any sounds that I am aware of while doing anything in MSTS.
    Perhaps it's a memory issue.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• RickCan
    replied

No. The ???Cab.sms handles the interior sounds and does not reference x_?????.wav files.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• chp56
    replied

But when you go back to the cab view, won't the volume be that much higher also?

Leave a comment:

• cakewalker
    replied

I have mentioned two situations with no engine sound (not only in headout but in front (2) and rear (3) external view too).
    In first of them three helpers are attached to the consist so there are four identical steam locos. Sounds play correctly again only after dropping helpers and switching to cab view and back to any external view. The four locos run totaly quietly in any external view :-(...
    The second situation is going with any single loco through a certain point (or better an area) at a certain route. The external sound dismisses and can be recovered by switching to cab view and back, but only if you are far enough from that area with many large objects (bridges, buildings etc.). This was tested several times.
    So I think that the sound error is probably caused by problems with managing the memory resources or with sound subsystem itself (on my P4, W98SE, 256MB RAM, GeFordce 2 Ultra, SB Live, all sound setup sliders to the right) and thus can't be easily avoided by the user allowed changes to MSTS files... I have simply changed my activities to avoid the situations mentioned above, which of course is not a solution. This is similar to the mysterious front coupler error.

Nice driving :-)

Leave a comment:

• RickCan
    replied

I used the windows sound recorder and increased the volume of the x_??_power_cruse?.wav files up to twice the volume. I just finished boosting the Alco S4 MT exterior power cruse files by 25% and reducing the interior cruse_5 and cruse_6 by 25%.

If you want to increase the exterior bell and horn sounds, change the two Volume (0.25) to Volume ( 1 ) or skip them out. E.g. Skip ( Volume (0.25)) if you don't want to loose the original values.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• chp56
    started a topic Does this bother anyone else ?

Does this bother anyone else ?

Okay,you're in the headout view..now I know that if you were actually hanging you're head out of the cab you might have a little drop in volume from the engine,being in front of it and all, but damn! I can't imagine it drops to absolute zero! I want to try to un-link it from the 3d sound, somehow. Any ideas?
Working...
X