X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sd40 turbo sounds

I have a question about the sounds in that sound pack. Specificaly the horn. Is it supposed to sound like that. The sound has a fall off. It is strange to be trackside at a crossing (4 Key) and hit the horn hear it come on and then drop in pitch as it gets closer to you. Or from in the cab change pitch. Is it the horn sound itself or something in the sms file that is making this happen. If it is the wav file what would be a sutable replacement and if it's the sms how could you adjust it so that it doesn't do that.

Thanx in Advance

/////// \\\\\\\
    Ronson

RE: sd40 turbo sounds

The change in the pitch is due to the Doppler effect, this is the way it really is.

Kevin Arceneaux

Comment

RE: sd40 turbo sounds

Yes the dopler effect. This happens as the frequency of the sound waves are compressed do to the movement of the sound source getting closer to you. The pitch is higher then as the sound source passes you. What I'm talking about is the reverse and dopler can't happen if you and the sound source are travelling at the same speed and in the direction as 'in the cab'... That's why it's odd.

I've listened to the wave file and it is not looping or was not setup to loop. The horn blast is on then off. The 'wav' does not take into account the looping action of msts. Both the interior horn and exterior horn are the same file.

I could replace it with the horn from the Gp38 but I'm not sure if that is the correct horn for the s240-2 as the s240-2 uses a naythen(sp) p12345 horn.

Perhaps I should have made my first post clearer. I do know about the dopler effect. In fact when Carl Seagan first demonstrated that on Cosmos back in the 80's he used a locomotive wistle as his test subject.

My question was about the horn spacifically it's operation on a sd40-2 and the accuracy of the sound wave in the sd40 turbo pack that is available here.

Do you have the sound file? You could listen for it yourself. It's pretty strange it dropping off in the cab and when outside it sounds like the horn is not getting enough air.

/////// \\\\\\\
      Ronson

Comment

Working...
      X