X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Articulated Exhaust Hint

I have put this post in to share with you a method of simulating the "dual" exhaust of simple-expansion articulated steam locmotives ("Ch-Chuff....Ch-Chuff....Ch-Chuff....Ch-Chuff...." ) utilizing the EXISTING Scotsman or 380 chuff sounds as a guide, without having to inter-mix the sounds in an editing program. You can base YOUR sounds from any engine in your inventory.

1. Open the "cab.sms" file. Among the first streams at the top of each scalability level, you will see the "power cruise" files. The ones you want to look for are two streams, the first one usually being second from the top.

2. First, increase the number of streams at the top of each scalability level BY TWO. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Without this, your .SMS file may not work.

3. Highlight and copy THE FIRST of the two streams. Then, to avoid confusion later, add "Skip ( **** Front Cylinders **** )" above the "Priority" parameter.

4. Paste the copied stream UNDERNEATH the original "first" stream. Add "Skip ( **** Rear Cylinders **** )" above the "Priority" parameter in your newly-pasted stream.

5. This is open to experimentation: To simulate the approximate "lag" between the two pairs of cylinders, the variables for the rear cylinders have to be tweaked a bit so they "arrive" earlier or later. I find that an increase of about .05 meters per second seems "just right." So the rear cylinder stream "arrives" .05 meters per second later than the front cylinder stream.

NOTE: You can also do this with "Variable1" as well as "speed."

At this time I have left the volume curves unchanged. I have not yet experimented with altering the volume curves, but you can experiment if you like.

6. Repeat Steps 3 through 5 with the second "power cruise" stream.

7. You may want to alter the line "Skip ( ** SL X sounds - Two looping audio streams , playing an pitch shifting loops by Chuff Speed {wheel rot} ** )" at the top pf each scalability level to read "Skip ( ** SL X sounds - Four looping audio streams (Two for each pair of cylinders), playing an pitch shifting loops by Chuff Speed {wheel rot} ** )" so sound editors are aware of these changes.

8. Open the "eng.sms" file and repeat steps 2 through 7.

9. Finally, to achieve the effect, you must "mute" the rear engine (usually a second "locomotive" in MSTS) by deleting the external sound parameter in the .eng file.

HOW IT WORKS: The front and rear cylinder streams are designed to overlap eachother, with both streams playing the same sound file simultaneously.

Of course you others have your own methods, I'd like to see you share yours so I can see how they are prepared.
    Last edited by Traindude; 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM.

I did this some time ago and posted here about it.There are now several steam soundsets to use available in the FL which are far far better than the default.I combined this with the method which was pioneered by Stuart Williamson of playing all the sounds via the Cab sms using the exterior files and playing only a constant steam sound in the exterior view.This reduces the demands on the sim.You also need only one scalability level.The rear engine needs no sounds at all.There are also some good steam sounds available over at UK Trainsim including an excellent 3 Cylinder sound.

Comment

I like the idea. I am wondering if this could be used on multiple engine diesel locomotives like the EMD E and DD series locomotives?
      Cliff Gray

Nice to live within an hour from Horseshoe curve and Sandpatch

Comment

Working...
      X