X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knoxville Division

Kenny sent me his really great enhancedment of my KDSUB or Knoxville Division route which has been in the library for a few years. It is a great one and should be in the library unless someone gripes about payware that may be in it. As sent to me, it was a zip file, containing 4 smaller zip files and the total size was just under 4Gbt. I had no problem loading it on my system, it is ORTS only, but since Kenny used some non-default rollling stock, a recipient would need to delete all activities and do those from scratch using whatever material he already had, or could get from the library. Kenny probably knows what the payware in the route is but if any, there does not appear to be much. As so many of the suppliers are no longer with us, it may be that there would be no complaints and I suspect the worst action taken would be to ask that the material be taken down. Having said that, I may be able to compress the route a little with RouteRiter but that will take hours on my antique XP machine and probably not save much as the vast majority of the size comes from the use of painted textures on the terrain under the track.

So, if Eric does not have an upper limit on file size, I can upload it, otherwise I can seperately upload 4 zips which will be Kenny's 4 zips inside a "wrapper" with instructions. I created a temporary folder and then unzipped into that and it does require that the user know the normal format of a MSTS route folder set. After being satisfied about that, I copied it into the routes folder of my MSTS install (where I also put some ORTS only routes) It does great. I'll wait and see what Eric has to say about this, size being the main issue. Here we have the Flamingo, enroute to Florida, exchanging passengers & mail at Corbin, KY on a cold winter evening around 1950. (note that the engine wheels do not touch the rails, we saw this with MSTS but it seems to be more pronounced with ORTS.

If Eric allows this one to be in the library, then the older version should be removed, although activities one created on the older route may not work on this one.
    In this scene different figures are seen on this and the summer version. I figured out how to do that when I did the RMD-1 (part of RMD-EAST) and so in that route an animated skater shows on a nearby pond in the winter, but not in the summer. Actually the figure is there in both seasons but just transparent in summer. I expect Kenny did that here.

Jerry Sullivan CORBIN_WINTER.jpg
    Last edited by eric; 02-19-2024, 07:49 PM.

Jerry,

First let me say Happy New Year to you and the family.

I am happy to hear that you like my update to a great route you have created. As for the little bit of pay ware scenery, all of the Rich Garber stuff is available here in the library in his Ohio Rails route. the rest of it came from the old Streamlines Corp. The free Mactier route, DRGW Green River and BNSF Scenic Sub in which I purchased from Streamlines before they went under, and I guess regrouped under Train Simulations. Now, the bulk of this stuff has been released by Train Simulations in the free Open Rails starter route "TS Starter Route."

I really love this route in winter, snow and total cloudiness with just a little fog. Almost all of the routes available suck in winter. Especially east coast routes where everything is in "whiteout."

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the work and hope to see it in the library soon.

Kenny

Comment

For routes, there's an upper limit of 5gb on uploads. Sounds like this would fit.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Eric,
        Others,

Good, I can just upload what Kenny sent me. I will, however, zip the 4 zip files together under a new "wrapper" in which I will provide instructions which worked for me. It will be best if those who get it, delete the activities and do their own, although they can reuse the path files. Kenny used a number of non-default locomotives & equipment. The images I put up several days ago used my rendition of the "Hummingbird" which did not actually run on this route. It ran on the mainline which I expect to eventually release myself. If there is any question about the size, I can break it into two parts, each of which would be much smaller than 5Gbt. The only really questionable item I encountered was that in the terrain textures there was one zip file that unloaded all the summer files and some winter files. Then another zip was all winter files and yes, those did go with the first group of winter files. I cannot get MSTS to run on my new Win-10 system and therefore I cannot get RouteRiter to work either, so there are some unused files in this route - which has 38 folders and 37,000 files, most of which are texture files.

Jerry

Comment

I've got route riter running, so if you upload, I'll do a repackaging before publishing..
          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Eric,

Good, I could not get the whole file to upload, so I will add a wrapper & instructions in the first zip of a total of 4. Got a error from your end I guess both times. So look for a KDSUB1A, KDSUB2, KDSUB3, and KDSUB4. 1A is the KDSUB1 plus instructions and a possible picture. I chose a winter one because of Kinnys preference for those. Follow the instructions and check me for any error.

Jerry

Comment

Eric,

Attached is my listing of the 4 files. Ignore KDsub1 as it is ini KDsub1a. That one is a little over 1Gbt. Seemed to go fine but I got an error after about 35 minutes that said the file was not recognised. So I tried KDsub3 which is much smaller and I got an error saying it was too big after 15 minutes or so. ??

Jerry upload_data.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Eric,

Again, I tried uploading KDSUB3 which is about 620MBT if I read it right and after about 16 minutes, I got this message on my screen. Any thoughts. This occurred with both the new and the old uploaders.

Jerry TooBig.jpg

Comment

Kenny,

I'm trying to get it uploaded and Eric plans to repackage it since he has RouteRiter running but so far the uploader (both v1 & v2) are rejecting even the smallest piece after about 20 minutes or so. I first tried KDSUB1 and it shutdown at about 30 minutes when the total upload should have been around an hour - my ISP runs at 54mbt/sec.

Jerry

Comment

I see what may have happened, Jerry.... file uploads are organized by year, and there wasn't a 2024 folder created automatically....

If you can, please try one more time... You should be able to upload up to 5Gb if it's classified as one of the four route categories.

Comment

Eric,

Evidently that was the issue as I have successfully uploaded KDSUB1A, and KDSUB2 both zip files. Now it is bed time here in the eastern time zone and so I will upload the 3 & 4 file in the morning which are both much smaller. Once you are satisfied and post the route, you may take down kdsub_wrap.zip from 12-24-2020 if you wish. I would warn folks who already have that route that activities on it are not likely run on this one. Later this year I should get out a 2nd version of my route which will have a lot more material and will allow you to take down another of my routes if desired, as it will be included in the new version. It will include the entire L&N division, Corbin, KY to Etowah, TN as well as 3 very important (when coal was in favor) SR routes and one SR branch that is now a short line. Two of the important lines (1960-1990) are now operated by R.J.Corman.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Eric,

All four files are now uploaded. Thanks for your help and once it is published I expect this one may get heavy download numbers. You should have KDSUB1a, KDSUB2, KDSUB3 and KDSUB4 in the approval queue.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by landnrailroader View Post
                          Eric,

All four files are now uploaded. Thanks for your help and once it is published I expect this one may get heavy download numbers. You should have KDSUB1a, KDSUB2, KDSUB3 and KDSUB4 in the approval queue.

Jerry Sullivan
                          Well, you can count me as one of those numbers. Been looking for a CSXT route to run the several recent CSXT locomotives found in the library, and a lot of the other CSXT routes have become extremely out dated.

Been tinkering with the idea of doing the recent purchased line of CSXT, the Waterville Subdivision. (Portland, ME to Mattawamkeag, ME), but.. I think that is a bit much.. 200 mainline miles plus at least 100+ branch line miles between the Rumford Branch, Augusta Industrial Track, Bucksport Industrial Track, Hinckley Branch, Brunswick Branch, Lewiston Lower and the Westbrook Industrial Track..
                          -Shawn K-
                          Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Shawn, it is and it isn't too much. I have a number of routes, including 2 new ones that were requested by Kenny Eaton that are HUGE. The Kanawha Sub. is only about 110 miles from Ashland, KY to Handley, WV but then there is the branch to Logan, which has many branches off of it, total somewhere around another 150 miles, then there is the Coal River line consisting of the Big Coal branch and the Coal River branch, both of which have branches, total around 150 miles, and then there is the Winifrede, an independent line about 12 miles long. I will lay all of the track and probably put the coal loadouts in. I'll also put in mileposts & signals and most roads, but at that point it is operable but not very pretty, so I'll upload it to the unfinished category and someone will grab it and do a much better job than me of detailing it out. That option is open to all of us, Usually track is going to be the main issue because those of us who choose to do a route may be the only ones really qualified to know what track should be used etc. I admit to not being very good at detailing.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

It's a project I am currently keeping close, but wont be starting off soon. I am already in the middle of building the MEC Mountain Division from Portland, ME to St. Johnsbury, VT, which is 131 total miles, but of course, I am also doing the scenery along the way.
                              Another one I am tinkering on here and there is the NB&M Mattawamkeag Sub from Brownville Jct, ME to McAdam, NB. Thats a total of 105 miles with 10 miles or so of the Millinocket and KI Subs of both CPKC and NB&M.

Personally, I may break it down further, with doing the MEC Eastern Division, from Mattawamkeag, ME to Waterville, ME, which is 115 miles, plus the branch lines of the Bucksport, and Hinckley Branch. The MEC Lower Road from Waterville, ME to Portland, ME via Augusta and Brunswick, including the Rockland Branch, and Lewiston Branch, and then the MEC Back Road from Waterville, ME to Portland, ME via Lewiston/Auburn, including the Rumford Branch. All of which would be based in the 1978-1981 time frame, but is a heck of a project to do, when I don't do much on my current routes. Maybe drop a mile or so here and there, and then forget about it for a month. haha
                              -Shawn K-
                              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                              X