X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activity editor

Hello everyone! A few days ago I was downloading routes to install realize I had no activities. Then I say to myself, why do not I do the activities to my taste? Now comes the problem: my screen resolution is 1024x600 pixels, while the minimum for the editor work activities resolution is 1024x768 pixels. I wonder: there is a patch that allows the editor to operate at a lower resolution ?, if not, is there any alternative editor? Thanks and hope for an answer. PS I wrote this message with an online translator because my language is Spanish, so if there are any grammatical or spelling error, sorry.

Unfortunately there is no patch and no alternative editor. Is 1024x600 the maximum that your screen can show?.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Comment

Yes, that is the maximum resolution. There is no other editor or creator of activities for MSTS?

Comment

Nahu,
        The screen resolution is not the issue with the Activity Editor. It is the bit size. The Activity Editor requires your video display to be set at 16 bits and not 32. I am so old that I can't tell the difference between 16 and 32 bits therefore I always leave my computer set at 16 bits and that way I don't have to switch back and forth for when I used the Activity Editor. If you read the stickies with this forum I think it will tell you this. It is always wise to check for what other people have learned when venturing into an unknown area.

Bob Edwards

Comment

Hi Bob,
          The Activity Editor requires your video display to be set at 16 bits and not 32.

I'm not sure that's fact!! My screen has always been set at 32-bit and I've never had trouble with any of the MSTS Editors.

Maybe it switches automatically, but I'm not aware of it - does Bin have any effect?

Cheers,
          Ged

Comment

Slipperman,
            For you it is a fact, but for many who have a different display card they require the 16 bit setting. I have had various display cards over the years and the majority of users with working with the AE have to set the 16 bit mode to have it not crash as soon as you try to move the mouse around to move the map.

Bob Edwards

Comment

Nahu,
              Here is a webpage that will show you how to change to the 16 or 32 bit settings at least with Windows 7 and I think for other versions as well.

Guiding Tech publishes in-depth consumer tech content that includes explainers, buying guides, analysis, cool lists and information.

Bob Edwards

Comment

I distinctly remember having to go buy a new monitor many years ago because the one I had could not run the AE because it could not reach the resolution needed. Far as the 16 or 32 bit debate goes, I have never had to use 16bit.

Comment

Originally posted by baldwin View Post
                  I distinctly remember having to go buy a new monitor many years ago because the one I had could not run the AE because it could not reach the resolution needed. Far as the 16 or 32 bit debate goes, I have never had to use 16bit.
                  Originally posted by oakpalms View Post
                  Nahu,
                  Here is a webpage that will show you how to change to the 16 or 32 bit settings at least with Windows 7 and I think for other versions as well.

Guiding Tech publishes in-depth consumer tech content that includes explainers, buying guides, analysis, cool lists and information.

Bob Edwards

Bob, I changed the bit size, and the problem continues, (apart, the warning box says 1024x768 or higher). Thanks for the intention to help. And I would love to buy a new monitor, but for now, the only PC I'm using MSTS is a netbook (I know, netbooks are for work, not play). Since there is no way to use the original editor, there is some alternative creator?

Comment

Originally posted by Nahu View Post
                    Since there is no way to use the original editor, there is some alternative creator?
                    No. None.

Comment

And I wonder, could someone design a utility that replaces the original activity editor? (I'm just asking)

Comment

I very much doubt that anyone would be likely to redesign the activity editor as MSTS is such an old game these days. We have already reached the point where it will only work on Windows 8 if there is an Nvidia card or chip present and active..

Comment

Originally posted by baldwin View Post
                          I very much doubt that anyone would be likely to redesign the activity editor as MSTS is such an old game these days.
                          Yes, unfortunately it's a bit old MSTS. Off topic, it is hard to believe that Microsoft and ACES design the AE to operate in a higher resolution than the simulator itself ...

Comment

I think the AE was really an unfinished product, like the RE. Microsoft offered no support for them.

Comment

Their is a pretty good activity utility called Activity Master by Skyline Computing for Msts that simplifies the process and lets you use your own choice of rolling stock for your selected activity.

Comment

Working...
                              X