Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activity Activation Levels

Hi Folks,

Been dabbling with creating activities using the new "Advanced AI" functions in ORTS... Man - for those who haven't tried them - you don't know what you're missing... To watch AI trains shuffle around the yard to make up and break down trains without any help is truly amazing... The latest ORTS introduction is the "Activity Event Messages" no longer freeze the simulation - you get your messages as you continue to roll down the tracks... Too cool...

Anyway - need a little guidance on how normal MSTS "Event Activation Levels" work ?

I had purchased R. Garber's guide years ago from Abacus - but - I just can't seem to find it at the moment...

Example Scenario: I have an "Action Event" to drop off some specific cars at a siding - the problem is that the event is triggering as soon as the first car touches the end marker for a given siding... What I want to happen is for the train to get all the cars on the given siding and come to a complete stop before firing the event... I've tried setting my "Action Event" activation level to "0" - then adding a "Location Event" to the siding requiring a complete stop - then having the "Location Event" call the "Action Event" - - - didn't work... Then I tried changing the "Location Event" to increase the "Action Event" activation level by one - - - didn't work either...

Could maybe use a little primer on "Event Activations" - if an "Activation Level" is set to zero - the event will not fire - correct ???

Any help - much appreciated...

Regards,
    Scott
    <a href=https://www.trainsim.com/forums/filedata/fetch?filedataid=80663&type=full title=thumb_80663.png >thumb_80663.png</a>​ My Blender Models

Originally posted by scottb613 View Post
    Could maybe use a little primer on "Event Activations" - if an "Activation Level" is set to zero - the event will not fire - correct ???
    Correct. The Activation Level must be 1 for the event to be active, although I don't recall what happens if the Activation Level is greater than 1.

Comment

Hi...

OK - thanks - I thought so - part of my problem seems to be I don't think "the train must be stopped" works in ORTS for location events - so my event wasn't firing....

Appreciate the input...

Regards,
      Scott
      <a href=https://www.trainsim.com/forums/filedata/fetch?filedataid=80663&type=full title=thumb_80663.png >thumb_80663.png</a>​ My Blender Models

Comment

Originally posted by scottb613 View Post
        OK - thanks - I thought so - part of my problem seems to be I don't think "the train must be stopped" works in ORTS for location events - so my event wasn't firing....
        It may or may not be ORTS. I have had issues in some homespun activities under MSTS using "the train must be stopped" in a location event. Certain stock or combinations of stock can still jiggle imperceptibly when they appear to be stopped. The F5 HUD would show constantly changing velocity, but that velocity is down around 0.000x m/s, which I suppose MSTS still sees as non-zero speed so therefore it thinks the train is not stopped.
        I don't know if ORTS is that fussy.

Comment

Can you please tell me how to access these "Advanced AI Functions" in ORTS. I do not have a clue as to how to make AI traffic pick up and drop of cars. Is there a tutorial somewhere for this? Thanks you.
          sigpic
          Rich K
          See my pix at RailPictures.net
          Visit my web site The Railfan Gallery

Comment

Hi Rich,

The EASIEST way to do it - get the latest development version now at (x2943) of ORTS and get familiar with the "Track Viewer" utility that comes with ORTS... You can create PATHS with this utility and it makes use of some of the Advanced AI Shunting operations... The only other requirement is to check the "Advanced AI Shunting" radio box under "Options" - then write an activity...

Read this thread at Elvas: http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...rain-shunting/

It contains demos that are all setup for the default Marias and NEC to show you just what it is capable of...

It is amazing what you can do with this feature... I just wrote and activity with two trains in a yard - the player works one side - the AI the other - they do various switching maneuvers picking up and dropping off cars around the yard - then they assemble the player train when done with the switching - the player takes the lead on a heavy train - the AI then automatically connects itself to the back end as a helper without user intervention - we climb the grade together - I drop the helper and caboose which comes back to life as an AI consist all by itself - it assembles a new train at this yard - and finally takes it down the hill autonomously while the player performs his own switching... Simply mesmerizing to watch...

Regards,
            Scott
            Last edited by scottb613; 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to give it a go!
              sigpic
              Rich K

Comment

As of experimental version 2951 the Activity Event message drop down box does not appear for me. I have written an activity to experiment with the advanced AI functions discussed previously. The activity should display a timed event at 15 seconds into the activity, with another timed event at 4 minutes in. The box appears in stable version 2930 as it should. Am I missing a setting or is it possible that Activity Events are now displayed in a different fashion?
                sigpic
                Rich K

Comment

Hi Rich,

I downloaded and installed whatever version was available last night and it seemed to work - I'm still working on a couple of pretty complex activities... Carlo just added a new feature as well - you can now have activities play Sound files when desired... I'll check the versions of ORTS and give it another try...

Regards,
                  Scott
                  Last edited by scottb613; 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X