Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GokuMK
    replied
    If someone is still not sure, the 2D view was always on the todo list, but there are more important things to do first.

Leave a comment:

• GokuMK
    replied
    You did that for the CE
    Because CE is something completely different, it's not possible to do it in route view.
    why not the AE??
    You don't need to use RE functions while editing AE.
    While you may think separate exe is stupid, using separate GUI's are not.
    But you have separate gui for AE. No one forces you to use RE F1-F3 gui while editing activities.
    And the .bat file thing seems retro to me too.
    I told above that you don't need to use it.
    I'm still using the MSTS AE because of it, and would really like to be able to use what I've supported.
    I think you are using MSTS AE, becasue you can't create paths in TSRE.
    Now 2D view is useless for TSRE becasue it doesn't support path editing yet. And other functions doesn't need it. It is better to do other missing things (path editor for example) rather than working on alternative view that introduces nothing new.

Leave a comment:

• Shawmut
    replied
    Gerry, you are not the only one with the desire for a 2D platform for activity creation. I too am not a route creator and find the 3D aspect confusing compared to using a schematic. There are some arenas - train dispatchers know this - where a schematic provides the information needed to make decisions in a quicker, easier-to-read format than 3D.

And I too like the idea of de-coupling the various components the way Kuju did it back in the day. And the .bat file thing seems retro to me too. I was the first person to answer the call for interest in an activity editor and supported my request with money as well.

I appreciate that from Goku's point of view these requests mean more time, but clearly some people - myself included - have issues with the way things have been designed so far. I'm still using the MSTS AE because of it, and would really like to be able to use what I've supported.

Cheers,

David

Leave a comment:

• R. Steele
    replied
    Originally posted by GokuMK View Post
    Separate exe is stupid idea - 3x more work with building app, 3x more downloading and disk space. You don't need to use .bat file, you can create modern windows shortcuts for TSRE.
    I already have shortcuts and icons, see top right hand corner in screenshot. While you may think separate exe is stupid, using separate GUI's are not. You did that for the CE, why not the AE??
    bandicam 2017-12-21 11-44-09-895.jpg

Leave a comment:

• GokuMK
    replied
    Also, and this I have trouble documenting, I have been using the AE and somehow slip into the RE and move something. For us non Route Creators, this is troublesome.
    This issue will be resolved soon, by alternative option to save only activity data.

Here's one thing that happened the other day, placing a thirty car loose consist that went over a yard crossover, the consist followed the crossover to the other track. In the MSTS AE it ignored the crossover and followed the track it was placed on. I could not figure out how to get the loose consist to ignore the yard crossover. Granted, given time, I could probably figure it out, but now I just don't have the time to spare.
    Just leave it this way. It will be shown the right way in OR. TSRE doesn't use default juncition exits.

**using bat files seems very retro, why not have separate GUI and exe for all three items, RE, AE and CE
    Separate exe is stupid idea - 3x more work with building app, 3x more downloading and disk space. You don't need to use .bat file, you can create modern windows shortcuts for TSRE. I can't include the shortcuts because the files are not portable - you can't share them between windows installations if app path is different. Bat file is portable.

Leave a comment:

• R. Steele
    replied
    But Goku, you are missing the point, the AE should be fully decoupled from the RE, separate interface and bat file**, just like the CE.
    I don't need to see all the RE interactives or whatever they are whenever I select AE from the dropdown.
    Also, and this I have trouble documenting, I have been using the AE and somehow slip into the RE and move something.
    For us non Route Creators, this is troublesome.
    Also lack of a complete manual or beginniners how to for the AE is a limiting factor, at least for me.

However, I am fully aware that this is a one-person operation, and everything little item or idea cannot be implemented. Given time, perhaps I'll change. On the other hand, you also should be flexible to others perceptions of the AE.

Here's one thing that happened the other day, placing a thirty car loose consist that went over a yard crossover, the consist followed the crossover to the other track. In the MSTS AE it ignored the crossover and followed the track it was placed on. I could not figure out how to get the loose consist to ignore the yard crossover. Granted, given time, I could probably figure it out, but now I just don't have the time to spare.

Like I said, my opinion is obviously a minority view, however, most of the praise for the AE I've read has come from experienced MSTS RE users, it appears that some experience with the RE end of things benefits understanding the AE.

**using bat files seems very retro, why not have separate GUI and exe for all three items, RE, AE and CE. Couldn't they all use some of the same programing, have different GUI's & be coupled "behind the scenes" so to speak. Not being a coder (like you are, and a good one!!) I really don't know if this is possible at this stage of development.
    Seasons Greetings, best to you and yours.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GokuMK
    replied
    Why the 2D view is so important? For Patch editing I agree - it is very important, but TSRE doesn't support it anyway.
    Placing loose consists - better in 3D mode. Finally you can place them in perfect location.
    Creating events, traffic etc - you do it outside route view, so no difference at all.

Leave a comment:

• jdonald1
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
    Apologies for barging in, sort of off topic..
    I'm still using the MSTS AE, cannot get used to the 3D route type display of Goku's TSRE-AE.
    I much prefer to schematic representation used by the MSTS-AE.
    I would love a schematic representation choice in Goku's, added to the functions the program already has.
    Plus, added to the schematic would be any roads or other crossings over the tracks. Where buildings, silos, warehouses, etc are for the sidings.
    I wish he would add a choice to decouple the AE from the RE.
    I'm fully aware this is an outlier opinion.
    I agree with Gerry. Speaking for myself I am having a hard time with the whole AE and would definitely like to see a schematic layout and to have the AE being separate from the RE altogether. The RE remains a great mystery to me as did most of the MSTS RE.
    My opinion for what its worth.

Thanks
    Don

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied
    prrfix07
    As soon as this tdb / yellow lines and crashing tile gets resolved I'll get back to work.
    Goku asked for the route files and I uploaded then to him.

regards,

Leave a comment:

• gusthegator
    replied
    I am looking forward to your prrfix07

Leave a comment:

• R. Steele
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince View Post
    ...There is nothing wrong with the MSTS Activity Editor although some folks have a hard time with it...
    So yes, there is a new activity editor being developed by Goku (also the new Route Editor) but I have not used it . . . yet. I'm pretty busy editing the PRR route and can't take the time to start writing activities until finish the PRR edit at Philadelphia.
    Regards,
    Apologies for barging in, sort of off topic..
    I'm still using the MSTS AE, cannot get used to the 3D route type display of Goku's TSRE-AE.
    I much prefer to schematic representation used by the MSTS-AE.
    I would love a schematic representation choice in Goku's, added to the functions the program already has.
    Plus, added to the schematic would be any roads or other crossings over the tracks. Where buildings, silos, warehouses, etc are for the sidings.
    I wish he would add a choice to decouple the AE from the RE.
    I'm fully aware this is an outlier opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied
    Originally posted by gusthegator View Post
    Whoops. I was making the activity in MSTS AE, but running it on open rails. I'll take you up on that note and use Open Rails to create my activities from now on. Let the rage and excitement of learning something new begin. Thanks for the advice Vince.Best gusthegator
    Let me clarify if I may.
    I created the big activity with the MSTS Activity Editor and run the activity checking on Open Rails. Why? OR has an Autopilot Mode allowing easy activity checking.

There is nothing wrong with the MSTS Activity Editor although some folks have a hard time with it.
    Not I as it's always performed well for me . . . It was the MSTS Sim that royally screwed up activity running with all the knots you had to jump through to get it to run correctly.
    Not so Open Rails . . .During the run from NY Penn Station to Washington I pass or meet about 40 AI trains both passenger and freight and every meet/pass occurs at exactly the same time and location!
    The MSTS Sim was NEVER able to achieve this level of accuracy . . .never!

So yes, there is a new activity editor being developed by Goku (also the new Route Editor) but I have not used it . . . yet. I'm pretty busy editing the PRR route and can't take the time to start writing activities until finish the PRR edit at Philadelphia.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• gusthegator
    replied
    I've been hearing good things about TSRE. Might aswell try both

Leave a comment:

• derekmorton
    replied
    yes, this one is also an activity editor

Leave a comment:

• Rich_K
    replied
    Forgive me if I have missed something, but is there an activity editor now available in Open Rails?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X