X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much scenery near the Vermont/New York border at the moment.

VRS Clarendon & Pittsford Whitehall Subdivision.

-Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops
    Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Thanks Jerry. As long as ORTS/TSRE will display models for MSTS1, I see no reason to give up Sketchup8 and the 2002 plugin by Decapod, nor give up on XP. The handful of websites where XP doesn't work with it's final Firefox don't need my traffic anyway.

Thanks Scott. Yeah, it kinda got away from Joe and myself. The major 3 of us involved with this all suffer from Horizon Fever.
      Add to that, in this region, there was a backside to the Hills/Mountains because someone else's Railroad ran over there in that valley.

I realized early the right of way was going to be important, as well as period correct line-side industries, railroad structures, and visually correct bridges. Seems more of the bridges were skewed than square, and more were a combination of bridge assemblies than a single bridge style to span the gap. I did stop at making culverts of whichever style smaller than 2 foot x 2 foot, unless it was a multiple.

I don't remember if it was just before, or during the E3 convention where Microsoft was passing out a demo copy of their joint effort with Kuju for that MSTS 2, it came out that product was not compatible with MSTS1. The ACES Studio MSTS2 was definitely not going to be compatible, as that one was using the FSX environment.

Doug Relyea
      Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.sigpic

Comment

Are there any new lines being developed in New England such as the Boston And Albany line. Is there still a vermont sub line in development.

Law Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by law doctor View Post
          Are there any new lines being developed in New England such as the Boston And Albany line. Is there still a vermont sub line in development.

Law Doctor
          Not sure about the B&A
          However, I am still developing the Vermont Railway route which will include a few portions of the VTR system I ran, and I do have plans for the Canadian Pacific "D&H" Canadian Mainline, and possibly one or two others.
          With my new work schedule, I'll have a bit more time to tinker on ORTS projects. (Four day work weeks are fantastic!)
          -Shawn K-
          Derby Rail Shops
          Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

I don't know which simulator has the most content available. I know that MSTS/ORTS has an awful lot, especially including the Indian items & routes. I stay with US lines except that I piddle with a couple of iron ore lines in Brazil. These have been covered rather well by folks in Brazil and I was able to obtain those routes but not with permission to release them here. TSRE has allowed us to do things not so much more easily but with greater confidence in that we have less to fear in the area of crashes & corruptions. My current effort will cover all existing lines in/out of Knoxville, TN except the SR/NS line to Chattanooga. At the moment I am adding the sub-ballast to the Knoxville to Middlesboro, KY. There is one major industry enroute, a large quarry at Luttrell, TN and then the 4-Rivers coal company in Middlesboro. Recently this line was sold or leased to R. J. Corman. This is an expansion of the KDSubdivision route that was released early in 2021.

Another section will be Knoxville-Clinton-Jellico-ARCO Mine which supported a unit train between 1967 & 1992 or so. The L&N(CSX) is being added from Knoxville to Etowah and that will complete what was the Knoxville Division in L&N days, now Subdivision of CSX.

J. H. Sullivan

Comment

Earlier this summer I got a request to do the AGS from Chattanooga to Norris Yard and I have done the track for that. It is in the bucket list for detailing out. Then there was interest in the Alaska RR and so I have almost finished the track for Seward to Anchorage and will also add the Whittier branch to this and release it as "unfinished" so anyone that wishes can detail it. I may then in fits and starts do Anchorage to Fairbanks. I have found out that that approximately 350 miles is done without a crew change which means it will be a single route. I have several other lines in the unfinished library in case anyone wants to detail something. Most of those cover the Milwlaukee Road between Mobridge, S.Dakota and Harlowton, MT.

J. H. Sullivan

Comment

After creating some details for the B&O West End, it occurred to me that a recreation of most lines west of Grafton would be neat. There are no track charts available for Clarksburg to Parkersburg as that line was pulled up and is now, mostly a hiking trail. It was pulled up at least 30 years ago. Likewise for LumberPort to Fairmont but that one is almost a water level gradient so should be easy. It is also historic, passing by Monongah, site of one of the worst mine disasters in history. I have digitized all the main routes and there is one more that sneaks out south from Clarksburg. I may do those myself, or at least do the tracks and add equipment at the known mine locations.

J. H. Sullivan

Comment

landnrailroader You mentioned someone doing the Southern S Line. Would that be the one from Salisbury, NC up to somewhere in Tennessee?

Comment

Yes, the "S" line runs from Salisbury up through the Old Fort loops to Asheville, and then down the French Broad R. to near Morristown, TN where it connects with the "A" line that runs from Memphis through Chattanooga & Knoxville to Bristol. Just saw this notification, Sorry I was late. Also I hope you urge any shareholders of NS you know to reject this takeover by the hedge fund. Having worked on the railroad for 34 years (Southern, CSX) what they propose is not good.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                    X