X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Comet Lines extension

I posted a few new images on my website at http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/bc_msts_pix.html. Please pardon the low-res images from my computer.

I'm building north and west from Elizabethport and hope to build the mainline to Bethlehem, Pa., the Newark branch, and the Reading from Bound Brook to West Trenton.

There already was a thread called "Blue Comet Lines progress," but the last post was by me ten years ago, so I figured I would start a new thread.
    Steve Dunham
    Drexel Hill, PA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Happy to hear about the planned route extension. The Blue Comet has become a favorite of mine, and having extra trackage (especially the westward run) will be very welcome. Thanks for the update.

Comment

If you are building the Reading from Bound Brook, would you also be possibly building the Port Reading Railroad from Bound Brook to Port Reading? It would only make sense since your original route already goes to Port Reading.

On the CNJ side, are you building the interchange yard at Cranford for the SIRT? In addition, is it just the mainline of the CNJ or are there branches as well?

Comment

If I were doing what just makes sense, I probably wouldn't be trying to make a computer simulation of a long-dead railroad. :-)

True, the original Blue Comet Lines simulation passes through Port Reading, but to borrow from Gertrude Stein, there's no there there. The Reading tracks cross the Jersey Central and then disappear: there's no real yard or Reading line once they disappear from sight. Building an additional 20-some miles of railroad through suburban scenery to create the Port Reading line is something I probably won't do. Please notice I said I hope to build to West Trenton, Bethlehem, and Newark. It's just my hope. I might not even get all that done. I'm making good progress on the Newark Branch.

I plan to have a Staten Island Rapid Transit interchange, but it will be simplified like most of the other yards. Brills Yard is simplified, and Oak Island has interchange tracks leading to it, but there's no yard there.

I've been making custom structures as I go, which slows things down, because most of the stations look different from one another. I'm making only structures that I think are important to the feeling of each place, such as the CNJ Elizabeth station (which, like most of my other structures, is much simplified from the real thing). The Pennsy Elizabeth station is only glimpsed from the CNJ, so I think I used a station from one of the original Japanese lines for that.

I thought about the High Bridge branch, but it's just too long with too little in the way of operations.

As it is, the extensions I'm working on will take years if I finish them all.
        Steve Dunham
        Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

Two more screen shots of progress

I added a couple more screen shots on my website: Reading trains at Bound Brook and Hopewell,

Pictures of Steve Dunham's Blue Comet Lines Microsoft Train Simulator route
          Steve Dunham
          Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

Wow! Just Wow!
            So far a great job on this huge project. Your scenery gives a proper feeling to the route.

Comment

It looks pretty cool! I hope you can release versions of it in stages even if unfinished and without interactives.
              I'm thinking of course of the modern update Mark was making. I miss his updates.
              Christopher

Comment

Thanks, Don and Chris.

I've actually done all the work so far in about 11 months: the Newark branch, most of the Reading from Bound Brook to West Trenton, and the mainline from Elizabethport as far as Raritan. I'm hopeful that I can finish it this year.

Being retired since last year and spending a lot of time at home because of the pandemic have created more time for route building (and writing: I started and finished a novel this year and sent it to my agent). The CNJ had so many distinctive, unique stations that I wanted to have at least simplified versions of them, and for a while I was stopping every few miles to make another station. Sorry if I sound braggy. I have a wonderful wife, mostly good health, and creative energy, and all of them are blessings that I can't take credit for.
                Steve Dunham
                Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Literalman View Post
                  I have a wonderful wife, mostly good health, and creative energy, and all of them are blessings that I can't take credit for.
                  you did spend many years commuting by train, which was surely good for your health and probably creative energy.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I was wondering if there is anymore progress on this route?

Thanks.

Robert

Comment

Yes, I am building west from Easton. I was thinking that I ought to take some more screen shots. After I get to Bethlehem, I need to do West Trenton and then merge those with the existing route, add interactive objects, create and test activities, and submit it for beta testing. I hope I'll get all that done this year, though we are planning to move next month and later in the year plan to spend a few weeks in the Philippines, my wife's native country.
                      Steve Dunham
                      Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

Incredible Steve. This is going to be a great addition to the original Blue Comet Lines Route. Hauling those long coal drags from Ashley, PA to the Jersey City waterfront. Now all those CNJ F3's made by BLW/ZT, DTrains & the ones in the file library here will have a proper line to run on. Finding a CNJ F3 south of Barber was as rare as finding a diamond in a box of Cracker Jacks.

BTW, I never got to thank you for releasing the set of Generic CNJ stations, one & two story shops, brick & asphalt platforms & simple stairways. The stations are just what I need for the stations on the rest of the Seashore Branch. They are perfect for stations between Highlands Beach to N. Long Branch. Plus fit in for a few replacements on the NY&LB. The shops I re-signed & textured a few sets of them. I will release these if community members here could use them for their routes or enhancing any routes for their use. The platforms & stairs have really been quite handy too. In the era of the update I am doing, I just had to add grass & weeds (In some cases A LOT of grass & weeds) growing through the cracks.

I see we are getting a Newark Branch too. That is great because I can see passenger activities between Broad St. station to the Seashore Branch at rush hour in the future.

But to this day when I think of the CNJ's Newark Branch & Brills Yard. I can only think of three things. And they are "Purity", "Body" & "Flavor". I think you know what I mean by that.
                        - Mark -

Comment

Steve,

I'm glad to hear things are still moving forward. I will be looking for those screenshots.

Mark, I hope you can find a way to fit this into your own project?

This is going to be on the same level as the PRR East or LIRR route.

Robert

Comment

Were purity, body, and flavor the attributes of Pabst Blue Ribbon? I remember an electric sign for Pabst but I was just a kid.
                            Steve Dunham
                            Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

9 more screen shots

On my website at http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/bc_msts_pix.html, I added 9 more screen shots of route construction progress.
                              Steve Dunham
                              Drexel Hill, PA

Comment

Working...
                              X