Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routes under initial construction

Friends,

At the moment, most of my time is used getting my income tax data ready to go to my accountant. However, there are several routes in the queue. Probably the first will be a 2nd version of the original KD Sub. which will include all of the former L&N Knoxville Division and most Southern routes in/out of Knoxville, circa 1960-70.

Then I have sent my Clinch-Appalachian route to Kenny Eaton and if he chooses to detail it out, it will be a very good route for those interested in mine runs and building unit trains.

Then there is the complete InterState Railroad which became a subsidiary of Southern about 1963. That route is also circa 1860-70 and has many branches.

Then the Southern Appalachia Division

C&O Big Sandy Sub., track is done but I need to add bridges and several coal loadouts.

C&O Kanawha, New River, and Alleghany Subs. with at least most of the branches & subdivisions

L&N Cumberland Valley Sub., Eastern Kentucky Sub., and CC Sub.

L&N Mainline Sub., Henderson Sub., & Chattanooga Sub.

Milwaukee Road, Northern Montana

Camas Prairie

These will trickle out in no particular order and my son-in-law will get updates on the list so that if I get my last running orders, he will upload everything on the list to "incomplete" and I may put a few there myself.

I found a track texture good enough that I don't need to use under track transfers and the first route that is released "clean" in that respect will be the Knoxville Div. I don't have a steady enough hand to paint those but if I don't use transfers, it will be easier for a more skilled artist to do the paint work.

Jerry Sullivan

Hi Jerry,

I am currently reworking my updated work of the NS Pocahontas and East River Districts. Older routes by Austin Yoder. Although I have most everything done with summer in both routes, I'm going back through them and adding more vegetation and doing the winter/snow terrtex work. Both of these routes will be the same as the Corbin/Knoxville route in regard with the payware shapes so they shouldn't be an issue uploading once finished.

Kenny

Comment

Kenny

Probably not an issue, but I would minimize the use of any payware items. Long ago I got permission to use MapleLeaf Tracks' flange squeal which sounded better me than others and that is the only item I know of that I use. I have gone back to the complete kdsub and am removing all of the under track textures and then using better track textures. On future routes, except the N.Montana Div. of the Milwaukee Road I won't use them, so that others that wish to "super detail" them won't have to remove them first. Austin did some great routes and the only issue I had with them was the use of so many tree lines that running a train seemed like going through a tunnel without a roof. While I use them as a scene blocker, my preference is to set them 1/4 mile or further from the track.

Jerry

Comment

Very much looking forward to the Northern Montana route.

Comment

The N. Montana route is a great one. Also Simon Van de Laak is also in the Netherlands and I am still working on completing his Virginian route -- have been for nearly 10 years.

Jerry

Comment

I forgot about the Virginian route. Time to go search instead of repeating same old questions.

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Above, you mentioned Simon Van de Laak's Virginian route. Just wondering if we're going to see this one anytime soon?

Kenny

Comment

I have completed the track for it and most roads. Also all the big bridges (lots of them) and most of the coal loadouts including a few that are long gone. I have included in it, the jointly served mines around Beckley, WV. The main one was Eccles which was two shafts, one in the Sewell seam and the other in the Beckley seam. It is long closed and was jointly served but a relatively new one opened a decade or so ago and it served only by CSX. At the north end, I included the bridge over the Kanawha and the small yard alongside what was then NYC track and where Virginian interchanged with NYC. A few years back NS sold the Virginian line to a short line and has embargoed the 40 miles or so over Clarks Gap. I will release that one as mostly complete but Simon painted the under track textures and so someone will probably want to complete those. Simon had done it from Mullens to east of the New River at the Narrows. I extended it into the Beckley area, north to DeepWater and east to Roanoke.

I went back and looked and Simon had painted the area around Mullens yard and I had used transfers outside of there. I did find that TSRE does not compress world files so you do not have to dcompress them before editing them. I cleaned up Knoxville & removed the transfers by using Context editor. Very easy, just be sure to experiment on a expendable route first so you know what the structure of a transfer is.

Jerry Sullivan
                Last edited by landnrailroader; 03-02-2024, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I need to add one more to my list. "Stevens Pass". This is the former GN from Index, WA to Leavenworth,WA. It is not intended to replace the payware "Scenic Sub" but rather to showcase the history of the line. So it includes the original switchback line over the pass which operated until around 1900. Then the 1st Cascade Tunnel, and lastly the current line. Manual turnouts will allow users to build activities over any of the 3 lines. Track is done. I do need to fabricate some bridges and add a few roads.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

My current project is a light railway idea for Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, the Philippines. I have spent some time there (my wife is from Mindanao), and I noticed that the traffic can be pretty bad. While sitting with her in a taxi one evening struggling through Cagayan de Oro traffic, it occurred to me that a light railway, mostly elevated, might be a good idea. I figured out where it might go, made a set of concrete elevated structures, am creating custom buildings as I need them, and am building the system.
                    Steve Dunham
                    Drexel Hill, PA
                    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Comment

On my future Chattanooga Division, L&N(CSX) there are several branches. I want to get the mainline and all the branches as accurate as I can and then at least detail the main line and to a lesser extent the branches. In 1957, I spent 4 weeks at surveying camp, Vanderbilt U. which was located atop the Cumberland Plateau about 10 miles east of Sparta, TN. The Cumberland Plateau is the east wall of the Nashville Basin. Going in any direction away from Nashville involves getting out of the basin and as far as Sparta, the gain in elevation has been slow but now you are confronted with this escarpment that tops at a little over 2000 feet, and is on average about 1500 feet higher than the floor of the basin. The plateau was loaded with high quality bituminus coal and before WW-II there were many small mines. Afterward, until the 1990s, there were still several large operations although the TN output never got close to the WV or KY amounts. Looking at the attached image, the camp was located near the right top of the escarpment and the markers show the rail line, which exceeded 3% in gradient most of the way and had curves up to 12 degrees or 145.5M radius. The closest we have to that is 150M so I will use that. There were more than a dozen small mines along this stretch but only 2 large ones each of which had a single loading siding. Once on the plateau the line extended east to DeRossette where the NE leg of the wye went to a large mine at Ravenscroft and the SE leg went several miles to a large mine in Clifty. The mines all closed by 1935 account of the depression and the track was removed east of Sparta by 1937. When I was at the camp, though, there were a couple of safe paths down to the location of the track and one small mine was being worked by a couple of folks who worked at the surveying camp when they had time to do it. The coal they got, was kept for heating their homes but as this Adit, or one way mine, could be dangerous, we never entered it. In 1981, Mine 21 located about 20 miles S.E. of this spot exploded, killing 13 men. There is a lot about that on YouTube. All mines were closed by 1997.

J. H. Sullivan Click image for larger version

Name:	SPARTA01.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2297604

Comment

I spent that last several hours laying out the highway (US-23) over what I have heard is called "Pound Gap". In any case it is a gap in the Pine Mountain Ridge south of Jenkins, KY and north highway-wise of Pound, VA. I had the pleasure of knowing Jim Shortt who grew up in this area and was an electrician in the big coal mine, now closed, at Dunham. He was also pastor of a nearby Free Will Baptist Church and his home was beside the abandoned right of way of the Meade Fork Branch (C&O) in Pound, VA. His wife said she had to know the schedule of the mine shifter so she could know when it was safe to hang up the laundry. Jim died 35 years ago. The railroad tunneled through the mountain almost under where the highway crosses the KY/VA line. This line has a dubious but colorful history. Since the railroad is now abandoned and there is little trace of it, or the route of US-23 as it existed 74 years ago I just did the best I could from old topo maps, linked to Google Earth. In 1946, a large mine was planned for the side of Meade Fork (creek) a few miles above Pound and construction started in early 1947. Except for a long tunnel under the gap, construction was rather straight forward. The line started with a switch back off the lead to the mine at Dunham. Jenkins is on the S.V.&E. sub. of C&O(CSX) which is now mostly abandoned. The switch back extended up a steep gradient and then the 2nd step of the switchback extended south and up to the gap on a grade as steep as 3% which is not unusual for coal branches. C&O Engineering knew about a fault across the line of the tunnel and so using really heavy structural steel they built a lining so extensave as to have a tunnel within a tunnel. Coal started flowing out of the mine on Meade Fork in late 1947 and for 3 years things were okay. But then the mine broke through on the east side of the ridge it entered on the west side and this opening was improved and made a 2nd entrance. But now the enemy in the form of the Clinchfield built their own branch to the east end of the mine and soon most of the coal was going that way. The Meade Fork branch was abandoned by 1955. So here we have the railroad branch pretty accurately laid on the north slope of the gap and US-23's old route spotted in as best as I could. Near the top of the image, the track and markers going off the top are the S.V.&E. branch. Tracks to the left middle go Click image for larger version

Name:	POUND_GAP.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2298873 to to the bottom of the switchback and to Dunham. The new route of US-23 would go to the left as well and it has been in place since about 1980. The north portal of the tunnel is just to the right, around the corner on the track at the upper right. The old hghway was 4 lane as far as I know but it had hair raising curve. The new highway is 4-lane divided with much easier curves since it does not go directlly into Jenkins.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Although the larger community was Jenkins, KY the local mine that remained in operation the longest was the mine at Dunham which produced a high grade coal with the brand name of "Cavalier". The athletic teams at the Jenkins high school are called the "Cavaliers" So in this image, from approximately the location of the Tipple, looking back toward Jenkins, we have the tail of the Meade Fork Swtichback at the right, the access road left of it, partially buried, and the tracks of the tipple yard to the left. Given the closeness of the tracks & roads and the large difference in elevation of the tail track, we will install berms on the tail track and probably the road as well. From Jenkins we will work the state road east to Shelby Gap, then northeast to where the S.V.& E. sub. joins the Big Sandy main at Shelbyana, KY.

Jerry Sullivan Click image for larger version  Name:	DUNHAM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	2299025
                          Last edited by landnrailroader; 04-01-2024, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Now we have added the Cavalier tipple. As best as I can tell this mine did have an older style tipple but it was over 5 or 6 tracks. Give the spacing we have (5M) in MSTS we still need about 1 more meter between tracks so the maximum we could probably have would be 4. It would be nice if someone that likes to do industrial structures could come up with some more coal mine equipment, clutter, etc. A good source for images of this and many other tipples is "Chesapeake & Ohio in the Coal Fields" which should be available on Amazon or from the C&O Historical Society. This view looks south east toward Jenkins, about a mile away. I turned off the database lines, markers, etc. to provide a clearer image.

Jerry Sullivan Click image for larger version

Name:	cavalier_mine.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2299090

Comment

Now we have done the main roads from Jenkins north through Dorton and Virgie, KY and we have completed all but one route that provides access to the mentioned communities along the Shade Valley & Eastern Sub. (S.V.& E.). In the image we are looking more or less south at the yard at Shelbyana, KY, which is on the Big Sandy Sub. main, a few miles south of Pikeville, KY. The small yard and engine terminal served the shifters on the SV&E while the larger yard allowed cuts of coal from the mines to be assembled into long trains destined for either the Great Lakes near Toledo, OH or to Newport News for export. The Big Sandy river (Levisa Fork i.e.) goes under the straight road at the lower left which is the old US-23 bridge and Shelby Creek flows in near the middle. The SV&E followed this creek all the way to Shelby Gap, about 30 miles and the simulation will include all of it along with mines at Jenkins, Meade, and east of Shelby Gap that are long gone. The SV&E now ends near mile 20 and there is still a lot of coal in those hills. There are mines, still active, near Virgie and these are included. I won't provide activities but I will provide an explanationi of how things were supposed to work (and usually did) so that the activity folks can create good ones. Shelbyana is also the crew change point now between the former C&O folks and the former Clinchfield folks and the yards at Elkhorn City, 15 miles or so in the distance are mostly history.

Jerry Sullivan Click image for larger version  Name:	SHELBIANA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	2299913

Comment

Working...
                              X