Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far unsaid is that Scott's work is, so far as I can tell, some of the highest quality. Looks great. Maybe better than any of us. I think that matters.

(I have to confess I'm not a big DW customer and not in the club, whatever that means, since DW doesn't reflect my interests that much and money is tight so I am saying that significantly based on screenshots. But I think it needs to be said).

Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by conductorchris View Post
      So far unsaid is that Scott's work is, so far as I can tell, some of the highest quality. Looks great. Maybe better than any of us. I think that matters.(I have to confess I'm not a big DW customer and not in the club, whatever that means, since DW doesn't reflect my interests that much and money is tight so I am saying that significantly based on screenshots. But I think it needs to be said).Christopher
      I would completely agree that Scott's work has improved to a very high standard. His latest stuff is much better than some of the early stuff still on the web site most of us can see.

However the same can be said of every payware producer's content as I see it.

That said the quality of his work is hardly worth a mention if folk who want it aren't able to buy it

This is an open Forum and other payware authors have responded to issues or suggestions about their products here. pretty much without exception in a friendly and constructive manner. This is the umpteenth thread about DW since the JKY episode and yet there has been no attempt to address the issues here. By all means correct me if that's wrong.

Vilifying your potential customer base (see posts above) because of the actions of one person with serious issues is, to any logical person, rather an absurd stance
      Geoff
      Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
      UK

Comment

DW, rest assured because of your business practices, your stuff is all over the place now. Your hoarded and coveted work is traded like in the heydays of music on Napster (or so I suspect). You could have just thrown it out there and sold 100's of sets, but no you had to hoard and be difficult with customer service. Too bad, you do great work.
        Only you can stop Fred Flintstone wheels

Comment

Blame the pirates, guys... They might be absent here, but they're far from gone.
          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
            Blame the pirates, guys... They might be absent here, but they're far from gone.
            Piracy is to be expected. You don't punish a whole community for the acts of a few. When you do that you're the bad guy.
            Only you can stop Fred Flintstone wheels

Comment

Originally posted by dpabrams View Post
              Piracy is to be expected. You don't punish a whole community for the acts of a few. When you do that you're the bad guy.
              Exactly! Donald has hit the nail squarely on the head.

Does Scott think he is the ONLY one to have his stuff pirated Those of us who buy payware and have supported it since the start have done so because we wanted to support further development and would rather pay than risk all that goes with ANY pirated software.

Penalising folk who want to buy the product feeds straight into torrent sites.

It has to be said that stupidity abounds on ALL sides of such behaviour. At one stage UKTrainsim Route discs, legitimately available from UKTrainsim.com for just over £5 were selling for £50 on e-bay and some Muppets were actually paying 10 times over the odds for pirated software. Even more stupid was that the contents of these discs could all have been downloaded for free merely by registering with the site. You can't beat STUPID

I'm also reminded of the stance taken by a modeler who contributed freeware steam locomotives to UKtrainsim in the early days. Everyone said he was a really nice guy. His models were stand out above the standard of that time. Loads of folk downloaded them and they were incorporated in activities for many routes. He took exception to the UKTrainsim discs including his content claiming that UKTS were profiting from his freeware. A claim that anyone with a spreadsheet could have rubbished in 5 minutes. You have to remember this was freeware and readily available to download on UKTS but he seemed to think that if UKTS were going to distribute this on disc they should do so at THEIR expense ....and anyone with a brain cell could see that the cost of the disc, postage and time to create them was barely covered by the cost.

SO he removed all his stuff and went off in a huff never to be heard of again. This trashed the efforts of many route and activity creators, lead to the withdrawal of many UKTS discs and generally hurt a lot of folk who'd worked hard contributing stuff. It left a huge hole.

SO the UK community rolled up it's sleeves and replaced all of his stuff in routes allowing those to return. Then some newer modelers started building loco's he'd withdrawn ....and guess what they were actually better. It took some time but now nobody remembers him and his unique models are now all redundant replaced by better newer examples.
              Last edited by lateagain; 09-12-2018, 05:14 PM.
              Geoff
              UK

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                Yes, Pirates are still around, always will be. But for a vendor to be so paranoid as to call many long standing and loyal customers pirates is a entirely different matter and wrong.Those who have dealt with JKY have a completely different take and rightfully so. As I recall, you had a run in with him and you took care of it. You didn't clamp down like DW. Ditto for 3D Trains. Tiger Trains almost folded but didn't and still has excellent service and products. Elvas Tower had a huge problem with the guy and for awhile, it was a different environment over there and there are still some restrictions, but all is good and well with the site once again.Frank closed up shop. Enough said, I don't want to PO Frank.With the exception of Frank, the other vendors dealt with the problem without much disruption to it's customer base while still maintaining good communication and customer service.DW??? Well........

Comment

There's a lot more to piracy than just the theft of intellectual property.

Several of the payware vendors you're pissing and moaning about were also hit with chargebacks on purchases, which are the equivalent of getting hit you being charged with a fee from your bank for having accepted and deposited a bounced check.

One vendor was hit with charges for several hundred dollars from a single pirate.

He who won't be named has been very selective in which vendors he's targeted for both theft and chargebacks.

Since I didn't sell to him, he simply filed nuisance charges against me to shut down my web domain, but the other guys lost real money out of their pockets. I can't fault them for taking more drastic measures to protect their wallets.
                  If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

I’m pretty sure that this post is going to pi$$ off a lot of you. In fact, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Dave removed it, but I been quiet up to now and it’s time I spoke up.

Yes, I am one of what you refer to as Scott’s “Elite Club”. He and I have communicated over the years and I consider him not only to be an on-line friend, but also an honest and dedicated business man. I have never tried to take advantage of him and he has never been anything but straight forward and honest with me.

What all of you seem to forget here is that Scott owns DieselsWest. It’s his company and he can do whatever he damn well wants to, for whatever reasons he has. And all this “Scott Bashing” you are doing isn’t going to get him to change his business practices. Yes, he does visit here, and yes, he is fully aware of your opinions and frustration. But all your bitching and complaining isn’t going to change his mind.

You see, and maybe you really don’t, is that a large number of you who are moaning are doing exactly the very same thing you are accusing him of. There’s a ton of new content out there, repaints and new equipment. I know – I see it regularly in the photos sections. Yet almost none of it ever shows up in the library. Why? Well, you keep it to yourself, or just share it with your close group of friends. Why is that: You don’t like pirates.

So let me clue you into something: Scott doesn’t like pirates either, so he, like you, only shares his creations with his close group of friends. Now, how do you like being on the receiving end? Now you know how I feel when I see all this new stuff that you won’t upload because you don’t like people ripping you off. Sound familiar?

I’m tired of you pi$$ing and moaning about Scott not sharing. To me, all it says is that you are a bunch of hypocrites. You don’t share but yet your mad because he doesn’t either. Well, I got news for you – he does share – to people he knows he can trust. And if the shoe fits – well……
                    Larry Steiner
                    Grand Rapids, Michigan

sigpic

Comment

My thoughts exactly, Larry.

Regards Claus

Comment

Larry, I started to post to this thread three or four separate times, but upon rereading what I was about ready to send, thought better of it...I was just too mad to make sense. You've expressed it much better than I could. Thanks for that.

I too have been on the receiving end of Scott's generosity, and belong to the new site he setup. I've also made it a point to try to contribute to his site when I could ( couple of OR activity reworks and such ). He's always treated me fair and square, besides producing some of the finest models I've ever seen.

I've enjoyed good relationships or email conversations with most of the payware providers, they all are a talented group. I cannot begin to imagine what it takes to run a payware business for this small virtual train sim community...and certainly believe none of the gumblers, gripers and complainers could come anywhere close to doing it successfully.

I also wonder how many of the posters in this thread go around in real life proclaiming the "free enterprise" principle and yet when Scott does practice it, the lid blows off their head.

...one last item...one mention was made in the thread about a model scale size being wrong...to me this is a proper subject, and one that if delivered factually and in a collegial manner, would be an appropriate criticism.
                        Last edited by R. Steele; 09-13-2018, 12:40 AM.
                        Cheers, Gerry
                        "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
                        It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                        Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                        Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Originally posted by geekman View Post
                          And if the shoe fits – well……
                          That is exactly what annoys me. The shoe never did fit, but I am a pirate according to Scott.
                          Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Comment

You see, and maybe you really don’t, is that a large number of you who are moaning are doing exactly the very same thing you are accusing him of. There’s a ton of new content out there, repaints and new equipment. I know – I see it regularly in the photos sections. Yet almost none of it ever shows up in the library. Why?

I will agree with this point of Larry's

Here's a few posts where various lads have asked about the possibility of getting some things uploaded

And the only response was crickets.

Additionally, I went back to search on a couple of other items displayed in the screenshots section recently, but those posts simply are no longer there anymore. Posts that included this item (BELOW), other posts with some Amazon trailers and even a derailment scene where a stack train was in the ditch strangely no longer show up in the search function - vanished from the face of the earth. Either this search engine really sucks, or these deleted screen items weren't the original poster's work to display and aggravate any demand to share.

Comment

Well frankly this post really does sum up a LOT of problems round here.
                              Yes, I am one of what you refer to as Scott’s “Elite Club”. He and I have communicated over the years and I consider him not only to be an on-line friend, but also an honest and dedicated business man. I have never tried to take advantage of him and he has never been anything but straight forward and honest with me.
                              Well Bully for you, BUT unless you haven't read any of the threads since JKY there are a LOT of people who never tried to "take advantage" of Scott who for reasons ONLY known to him he's treated badly ....some might say even verging on defaming their character without any justifiable cause.
                              What all of you seem to forget here is that Scott owns DieselsWest. It’s his company and he can do whatever he damn well wants to, for whatever reasons he has.
                              Exactly right .......BUT
                              And all this “Scott Bashing” you are doing isn’t going to get him to change his business practices.
                              ......you can't apply "forum speak" and values to justifiable criticism of customer service or lack thereof.
                              Yes, he does visit here, and yes, he is fully aware of your opinions and frustration. But all your bitching and complaining isn’t going to change his mind.
                              ....which begs the question why doesn't he respond to anything on the forum? ...and BTW are you his appointed spokesman or have you taken that on yourself?

This next bit leaves me rather bewildered

You see, and maybe you really don’t, is that a large number of you who are moaning are doing exactly the very same thing you are accusing him of.

There’s a ton of new content out there, repaints and new equipment. I know – I see it regularly in the photos sections. Yet almost none of it ever shows up in the library. Why? Well, you keep it to yourself, or just share it with your close group of friends. Why is that: You don’t like pirates.

Now that sounds like paranoia to me. What on Earth makes you believe that there's a secret club all sharing freeware and deliberately sharing it within a select clique of friends? Have you done that?

As for not uploading because of fear of Piracy..... Well I wait to hear from all the sharers on here who have withheld stuff for that reason. It's far more likely that as this is a hobby and folk are producing stuff to give away that REAL LIFE distracts them from completing stuff, or they aren't happy with the result, they fall foul of a permission, they get ill, they have college or school work to do, they have sick relatives, lose their job, have to move...... I could go on with reasons for most of the page BEFORE "fear of Piracy" even gets a look in

So let me clue you into something: Scott doesn’t like pirates either, so he, like you, only shares his creations with his close group of friends. Now, how do you like being on the receiving end? Now you know how I feel when I see all this new stuff that you won’t upload because you don’t like people ripping you off. Sound familiar?

I’m tired of you pi$$ing and moaning about Scott not sharing. To me, all it says is that you are a bunch of hypocrites. You don’t share but yet your mad because he doesn’t either. Well, I got news for you – he does share – to people he knows he can trust. And if the shoe fits – well……
                              Now you've really left the rails!" He doesn't SHARE IT! HE SELLS IT!

If Scott is reading this I'd invite him to reconsider some of his stances to former customers, to folk on here who've contributed hours of their time on freeware and been accused of Piracy etc. Whatever problems he's had operating a payware site with rogue individuals and or his payment company that is no justification for false accusation.
                              Geoff
                              UK

Comment

THIS is rather off topic (entirely my fault for raising it) but as you commented Gerry

Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
                                ...one last item...one mention was made in the thread about a model scale size being wrong...to me this is a proper subject, and one that if delivered factually and in a collegial manner, would be an appropriate criticism.
                                https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ck+Island+unit

Can't think how I could have raised the issue with MORE detail. A number who had the pack also checked it out and posted their results. Only person who didn't respond was Scott.
                                Geoff
                                UK

Comment

Working...
                                X