X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Rails Forum "Place" Switched?

Has anyone else noticed that MSTS is no longer on the top, & ORTS being next? No, ORTS is now Being Viewed first( If that Person has it viewable ), & then MSTS Second like ORTS was.

Yes, that change was made today. Thanks for noticing.

The activity in the MSTS forums has dropped considerably, so the re-order was done to reflect that.

Also, you may notice that the subforums for TSRE have also moved under OpenRails.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
      Yes, that change was made today. Thanks for noticing.

The activity in the MSTS forums has dropped considerably, so the re-order was done to reflect that.

Also, you may notice that the subforums for TSRE have also moved under OpenRails.
      These are welcome changes. I know that it's difficult for some diehard MSTS fans to swallow, but MSTS is becoming pretty much dead. OpenRails is taking over. I have not used the actual MSTS program in going on a decade now. I don't miss it at all. And, though there are always improvements to be made, OR is continually adding features and progressing forward.

Comment

If you have other suggestions, feel free to drop them to me in a PM.
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
          If you have other suggestions, feel free to drop them to me in a PM.
          Would "ORTS Engine And Livery Skinning" be an acceptable category for those of us still doing locomotive and rolling stock paint jobs, or would that just fall under what's currently in place of "modeling & physics"?
          -Shawn K-
          Derby Rail Shops

Comment

A refreshable "Today's Posts".

Randy

Comment

I noticed that unpaid members are now restricted to slower downloads at 20kb/s instead of the usual 30kb/s
              My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

That was a welcome change thank you!
                Kevin Kelleher

Comment

Originally posted by geepster775 View Post
                  I noticed that unpaid members are now restricted to slower downloads at 20kb/s instead of the usual 30kb/s
                  That's fixed.

What do you think is a fair set of restrictions on non-paying members? Only one download at a time or slower speed?

The bandwidth being spent to support huge route downloads from other parts of the world is huge, and there are relatively cheap membership options available here starting at $10 where you can lift the restriction.

Basically, for the cost of two coffees at Starbucks or a value baskets at Culver's, you could get 6 months of a supporting membership.
                  Last edited by eric; 02-03-2023, 11:23 AM.

Comment

No downloads unless you buy a membership...each membership level from cheapest to most expensive allows for more/or faster downloads.

No paid membership allows user to view all downloads, and post in certain forums as guest.
                    Cheers, Gerry
                    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

$29.99 for a year isn't a bad deal either, especially if you are able to also spend the same amount on a payware route.
                      -Shawn K-
                      Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Most of the MSTS discussion was covering Open Rails specific or compatible things anyways, people were just clicking it because it was first. So its fitting that the OR group is at the top of the page. Even though as someone who has played MSTS from the ripe old age of 3. Its saddening to see the king laydown his last crown.
                        You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I d*** well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. -Lee Marvin

Comment

Originally posted by wwhall View Post
                          These are welcome changes. I know that it's difficult for some diehard MSTS fans to swallow, but MSTS is becoming pretty much dead. OpenRails is taking over. I have not used the actual MSTS program in going on a decade now. I don't miss it at all. And, though there are always improvements to be made, OR is continually adding features and progressing forward.
                          I would tend to agree with this.

I seem to recall having encountered the MSTS "BIN Upgrade" at around the same time as Open Rails. Initially I wanted to stick to MSTS for the simple fact of being familiar with the program.

Some time back I just stopped using it, took the plunge to ORTS. Now all I ever use is the Activity Editor from MSTS.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
                            No downloads unless you buy a membership...each membership level from cheapest to most expensive allows for more/or faster downloads.

No paid membership allows user to view all downloads, and post in certain forums as guest.

Making everyone "buy" a membership essentially turns all the "freeware" items into "payware". I would suggest limiting downloads for non-members to perhaps two per week or even two per month. The price of admission for me personally is not an issue, but I do recall posts over the years where some folks would say that they couldn't afford to buy a route or locomotive pack. Just my 8¢ worth (inflation).

Peter
                            Last edited by peterman; 02-07-2023, 11:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by R. Steele View Post

Yes you already got one of those. Keep these restriction away from here.

Comment

Working...
                              X