Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eng file tutorial

Hello everyone,

I have a question I'm sure some of you will know the answer. A few years ago I downloaded a very well done Eng file tutorial that explained every line or almost of the Eng file. I printed the tutorial to better understand the lines in it that seemed a bit mysterious to me but since I came back to MSTS last month I tried to find the printed tutorial but I never found the darn thing....

I google and searched all MSTS sites including this one but never found this tutorial... I don't remember who wrote it but it was someone well known in the community, just don't ask me his name, I don't remember...

Anybody knows what tutorial I'm talking about and where I could find it?

Thanks in advance!!

Steam4Me tutorials pages, the Richter Manual for .Eng and .Wag files .... I'm guessing this is what you are looking for. The still active link to the manual is found on the page link below under the heading >>> " Model Construction And Design - General (15 tutorials)"

https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/

Some of the information is very outdated for OpenRails or not applicable, although I still find it useful.​
    Cheers, Gerry
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Looks like it indeed! Thank you very much!

Comment

Certainly, you're welcome.
        Cheers, Gerry
        It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Comment

The Above Link is expired now and it is not can anyone please provide me any kind of screenshots or pdf of about eng and wag files I previously used it but now i am not able to open that link so plzz anyone help me out I need it sooo much

Comment

The document it was created from is on your MSTS CDs (provided you bought them) . It is in the folder Tech Documents.
            Charles

Comment

Any tutorial / helpfile written for MSTS would be helpful, but not sufficient for properly setting up locomotives and rolling stock in OR. A host of new parameters have been added and MSTS ones made obsolete.

Comment

I didn't know so many new parameters were added to the Eng file in OR. Is there a tutorial somewhere of the differences between MSTS and OR Eng file parameters?

Comment

Originally posted by Royalhudson View Post
                  Is there a tutorial somewhere
                  Self-Tutorial using the ORTS Manual ( found in numerous places --- if you are running the most recent stable version of OR 1.5.1 - the manual is in the "Documentation" folder ) -- find the "ORTS" parameters you are interested in...diesel or steam engines and go from there. Plenty in the threads if you care to search. Partial list below --- from "O" section of manual index.

Study the new engine files from TrainSimulations ( SP Shasta Route ), look at how NAVS engines are structured, and my own Std Engine files - with a Common.inc folder, found here in library. Choose a method that fills your specifications and proceed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ORTS_Param.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	2307202
                  Last edited by R. Steele; 07-04-2024, 04:43 PM.
                  Cheers, Gerry

Comment

Thanks for this information, will look it up.... I can see that MSTS has pretty much evolved under OR....

Comment

I can see that MSTS has pretty much evolved under OR
                      It's not MSTS --- two different executables, ---- new OR coding allows for all the improvements. Admittedly, it is hard to keep up, best to zero in on an aspect you would like to use, like advanced physics, or the new ORTS parameters for steam and then learn how to use those. Takes time, but the performance difference is noticeable.
                      Cheers, Gerry

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have a question I'm sure some of you will know the answer. A few years ago I downloaded a very well done Eng file tutorial that explained every line or almost of the Eng file. I printed the tutorial to better understand the lines in it that seemed a bit mysterious to me but since I came back to MSTS last month I tried to find the printed tutorial but I never found the darn thing....

I google and searched all MSTS sites including this one but never found this tutorial... I don't remember who wrote it but it was someone well known in the community, just don't ask me his name, I don't remember...

Anybody knows what tutorial I'm talking about and where I could find it?

Thanks in advance!!
                        RoyalHudson: Check your inbox.
                        Larry Steiner
                        Grand Rapids, MI
                        (CSX Country)

Comment

Working...
                        X