X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't trains derail?

I feel this is a silly post to make, but when I try to run a route that has an end with no buffer, and crash into that part, my locomotive still stays on the tracks. Is there a way to toggle derailments so that it will derail normally?

If you wish to crash trains, find something else.

OR does not do crashes by design.

Comment

Nope. That was a design decision made ten years ago that so far hasn't been reversed.

There *may* be derailments in ORTS eventually, but it won't be the crashing and accordion piling off the tracks into oblivion that MSTS offered.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Honestly hope this doesn't become a feature any time soon. The MSTS derailments just looked so goofy and that definitely wouldn't much fit open rails the same way.

Comment

It is not likely to come any time soon.
          The decision has been made as railway accidents cause emotional and civil damage.
          We do not wish to glorify that.

I personally have worked with people who have died on the job, and I have had to replace them.
          Not a nice feeling.

Comment

Ok I guess?

Comment

I agree with you Dereck. I'm retired from the french railway. I have seen bad things along my career. It's a bad dream. And today, I remember every accident.

Comment

I'm a fan of the plain-text "your train has derailed" that's used in Open Rails, without any of the rendered stuff. It keeps the realistic operational integrity of the sim while also still allowing for catastrophic failures. Run 8 v3 has a good system too, no pileups, just an axle or two dragging on the ground. The MSTS derailments were usually very comical, but not fit for a sim like Open Rails that tries to be as realistic as possible. I absolutely despise YouTubers like Gustavtime, who profit off of those click-baity videos of horrible accidents in Railworks, and I wish to not see content like that created in Open Rails.

Comment

I also have to agree with this! It does not fit Open Rails however having minor derailments would be nice to have as they do happen in real life like from splitting a switch, derails, and hitting track that is out of gauge, stringlining, and other small derailments from switching, hot boxes and broken axles! Yes I have seen many of these types of derailments happen in real life! However when it come to doing it on purpose there is no need for that! Especially in today's society!

Comment

Originally posted by ngc427 View Post
                    I'm a fan of the plain-text "your train has derailed" that's used in Open Rails, without any of the rendered stuff. It keeps the realistic operational integrity of the sim while also still allowing for catastrophic failures. Run 8 v3 has a good system too, no pileups, just an axle or two dragging on the ground. The MSTS derailments were usually very comical, but not fit for a sim like Open Rails that tries to be as realistic as possible. I absolutely despise YouTubers like Gustavtime, who profit off of those click-baity videos of horrible accidents in Railworks, and I wish to not see content like that created in Open Rails.
                    Personally, I would want a plain-text alert for a derailment. I mean, we kinda have that for taking a curve too fast, warning us to slow down because our train could potentially derail. It's under the option "Curve dependent speed limit".
                    NYC - Road of the Future

Comment

Would prefer something stronger penalising the user and ending the activity Vs today's messages. Have no interest in cartoonishly crashing trains (not since I was 12 at least )

Comment

Originally posted by joe_star View Post
                        Would prefer something stronger penalising the user and ending the activity Vs today's messages. Have no interest in cartoonishly crashing trains (not since I was 12 at least )

Guest: You meant to blow them up?

Gomez Addams: Of course, why else would a grown man play with trains? Wanna blow the other bridge?

add009.jpg

No offense, but I expect IF a graphical crash version of ORTS were released, it might prove popular. Not everyone is so psychologically\emotionally impacted by make-believe trains in distress. And for the naysers, computer programs have long featured the ability to turn features off and on, a simple check box would do, wouldn't it? I understand the nature of the decision, but always would have preferred a choice over someone deciding for me. And, of course, anyone is free to code up a crash-enabled ORTS, right? ... In theory, anyway.
                        sigpic - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Comment

Originally posted by ftldave View Post

Guest: You meant to blow them up?

Gomez Addams: Of course, why else would a grown man play with trains? Wanna blow the other bridge?

add009.jpg

No offense, but I expect IF a graphical crash version of ORTS were released, it might prove popular. Not everyone is so psychologically\emotionally impacted by make-believe trains in distress. And for the naysers, computer programs have long featured the ability to turn features off and on, a simple check box would do, wouldn't it? I understand the nature of the decision, but always would have preferred a choice over someone deciding for me. And, of course, anyone is free to code up a crash-enabled ORTS, right? ... In theory, anyway.
                          I don't disagree with you there. While I myself have no interest in crashing trains, my 6 year old son does make me fire up MSTS from time to time to get his fill

Comment

A fundamental problem with representing derailments in Open Rails (and MSTS) is that the physics are essentially rigid-body based. Everything works well within the constrained envelope of "normal" train running and operation. But once you have objects leaving the rails and colliding with each other or the ground, everything, well, goes off the rails. (Pardon the pun... 😉 ) It's the reason why MSTS derailments quickly turn into airborne spectacles. There can be ways to dampen the runaway effects to a degree, but you'll still never get "realistic" derailments unless the entire physics system is changed to soft-body physics like BeamNG or Rigs of Rods.

The best we could hope for would be low-speed "wheels on the ground" events, like picking a switch in a yard or pushing a car across a derail on a siding. Rigid-body physics aren't likely to even handle stringlining on a curve very well -- As soon as a car flops over and strikes the ground, stuff will start ricocheting about.
                            MSTS-Roundhouse (Technical Difficulties, Please Stand By)

Open Rails and MSTS blog

Comment

Working...
                            X