X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Rails Multiplayer Settings Tutorial

Anybody expert....Please guide us about Open Rails Multiplayer Settings.

Until some member with multiplayer experience reads your post, please read Chapter 13 in the OR Manual --- "Open Rails Multiplayer". Thank you.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Can anyone who has got success in playing Multiplayer in Open Rails, can please inform the detailed settings, requirements and other important things. Thank You

Comment

I don't know too many people who've had success doing multiplayer. I've used it myself across my own home network, and it has behaved reasonably well where both PC's have the same route and equipment.

The bigger problem that most people are going to face trying to run multiplayer is running it across the public internet. Configuring open rails itself is easy, the hard part is getting their home network setup to allow the traffic to whatever is being used as the server and possibly the clients that are running it.

That's not something most of us here are going to be able to help you with as it's going to depend on whatever you have for a router, firewall, and other ISP limitations possibly on what type of traffic and ports are allowed.

Comment

I had it working years ago, but it has quite literally been a decade since I've tried. To allow users to join your network, you'll have to forward ports on your network, which you can find information on how to do that online for your specific hardware.

It does work though, or at least, it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
            I had it working years ago, but it has quite literally been a decade since I've tried. To allow users to join your network, you'll have to forward ports on your network, which you can find information on how to do that online for your specific hardware.

It does work though, or at least, it did.
            There are(or used to be) programs allowing you to set up virtual lan networks without messing with hardware.

I'm afraid the original poster will struggle though, unless someone creates step by step videos on youtube how to set everything up, from A-z

Comment

I seem to remember some members at one of the forums having multiplayer sessions --- on Discord? -- or privately. I'm sure someone in the world of OR has had success with multiplayer ... Where are you?

Maybe those with multiplayer experience would set up a tutorial?
              Cheers, Gerry
              It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
              Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
              Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Thanks for the info. Though me and my friend took IP address and PORT from trainsim page (where we get ip address and ports) and entered in our OR and tried. But it did not work fully. We both got connected when we both kept it as Client-Client. But on single line section routes, only one of us got the clearance and not both. Hence we are facing issues. Other times, it does not even connect.
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by railrohit View Post
                  me and my friend took IP address and PORT from trainsim page (where we get ip address and ports)
                  What page did you get this from? We don't host multiplayer sessions here, and somebody has to act as the server so the dispatcher and signaling will work correctly.

When you were both client-client, could you see each other's trains?

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post

What page did you get this from? We don't host multiplayer sessions here, and somebody has to act as the server so the dispatcher and signaling will work correctly.

When you were both client-client, could you see each other's trains?
                    When he says TrainSim, he means the public Trainsim server that's often used for multiplayer sessions.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
                    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Comment

What the heck is that tsimserver.com thing? I've never seen that before! Home page doesn't bring up anything and I didn't see any mention of what route was hosted.
                      Looks like it has the potential to be a neat asset to the community, do you have any background on the server, or know who runs it?

Comment

I have no idea who runs it nor do I have any info, aside from the fact that it's listed in the Open Rails manual as the only option for public servers for OR MP sessions.
                        Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
                        Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Comment

I suspect it is still run by Jijun Tang ( jjtang ), who wrote a lot of the original multiplayer code, but has been less active for the past couple years.
                          Last edited by eric; 02-10-2024, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Here is a general port forwarding video on YouTube.

This video goes over the complete guide to understanding what port forwarding is. This is critical to understand before opening anything up to the internet o...

Comment

Working...
                            X