X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenRails Noob questions

I have a few random questions about openrails.

Q1: Is there any way to jump around the map?
    Background: I'm checking out a new map and want to hop around and look at different areas without needing to drive the whole thing.

Q2: Track Viewer - I see an option for it on the Openrails launcher - is there any way to get the TrackViewer up if I've already launched the route?

Q3: I was driving around in a payware loco without a 3D cab (Alt+1 says no 3D cab) but the '5' key brought me into what felt like a 3d cab, I could look around, there was stuff in the cab. What's the deal with that? Was that like a late stage MSTS feature?

Q4: The route I was driving mostly had track, but a few patches of it were missing track, would that show up in a log somewhere so I could attempt to fix it?

Thanks!

A3: "5" is the passenger view, so someone created one inside the cab. Yes, you can pan around, but you can't use the mouse on the controls.

A2: You should be able to run TrackViewer independently by launching %ORTS% \Contrib.TrackViewer.exe

A1: You can move around on the map, but you can't launch a new train or move the "8" freeroam camera view. Even if you could, the scenery wouldn't be loaded because the tiles loaded are based on the player train's position, not the camera unless you stay on a tile right after the train has been there.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Q4: What Route? And where in the Route?
      Last edited by oper190; 02-12-2024, 08:09 AM.
      Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
      It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

Comment

Thanks Eric! That explains the cab view I saw!

Oper190 - It's the Full Bucket Line Russ is working on. I pinged him and I believe he has a fix. What I'm hoping to learn is, when things like track segments are missing, is that logged somewhere?
        (I probably should also have mentioned the train drove on invisible rails - so OpenRails must have known the path, just didn't have the image to display)

Comment

Originally posted by TrainSimJack View Post
          Thanks Eric! That explains the cab view I saw!

Oper190 - It's the Full Bucket Line Russ is working on. I pinged him and I believe he has a fix. What I'm hoping to learn is, when things like track segments are missing, is that logged somewhere?
          (I probably should also have mentioned the train drove on invisible rails - so OpenRails must have known the path, just didn't have the image to display)
          Chances are, you may not have the correct shapes installed, depending on if Russ is upgrading to scalerail. The reason why you still can run that section, is because it shows the tracks still in the TDB file, while the shape doesn't properly show, account of those issues I mentioned.
          -Shawn K-
          Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info. I can't offer any suggestions since I don't have that Route to test run myself.
            Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
            It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

Comment

I just created a Track Essentials bundle which has Scalerail/Scaleroads in it. Worst case, you'll have the Scalerail shapes.

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X