X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car pack coming this weekend by TrainSimulations

For those that don't follow them on Facebook...

image.png

It's obvious what I'll be doing this weekend.
    -Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops
    Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX View Post
      It's obvious what I'll be doing this weekend.
      The wife is going to be asking a lot of questions about recent spending...
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

It's been a ridiculously long time since TS/SLI did a freight car pack. Those B&M ones look really sharp. Love the old McGinnis logo.
        Kyle

NYC - Road of the Future

Comment

Between this, the Chessie and WP Packs, that's a bunch of 70s/80s freight action....
          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post

The wife is going to be asking a lot of questions about recent spending...
            She doesn't question it with the yearly income I bring in. She's happy now anyways, after buying her a house and all. Haha.

Regardless, these will look fantastic on the MEC Mountain Division route. Which, this pack definitely encourages me to finish up the route.
            -Shawn K-
            Derby Rail Shops

Comment

The Freight car set has been released. lol

Comment

could this mean new versions of the late 2000's-early 2010's freight packs are on the horizon?

Comment

Just a heads up -

My download lacked wag files for the charcoal gray MEC 32133 car.

And that car shape file MEC 32133 (and the identical CLP 3045 car shape) was attempting to call a second big texture file for a nonexistent EACH 2416 boxcar, and also had all the smaller textures for trucks, wheelgloss, etc calling on ACE files (that aren't there) instead of DDS. Eyeballing things, the 32133 looked identical to the harvest gold MEC 32044 car, so I used the 32044 car shape to replace both the 32133 and 3045 shapes. Result is good.

Other than that, the pack was neat and tight, with correct DDS calls on the remainder. They really got the minimization of textures down good on these recent releases.
                  My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

Updates have been made to the files, re-downloading the installer and re-installing should correct these issues.

Comment

This is a nice pack and for those of you hesitant to grab something from the northeast, here's a slide from my collection showing that some of the boxes made it out west. Three MEC boxes on the head end of an SP train in KC:

Would love to see more of this type of content - throwing it out there that a western pack with BN and D&RGW cars would be well received on my end. Also, a variety pack of TBOXs would be pretty sweet too!
                      Connor

Comment

For those also wondering, the Bangor & Aroostook boxcars have made it all the way out to California and even Oregon, for potatoes (insulated cars) or lumber, to or from the Pacific West Coast.

Guilford boxcars could be spotted virtually anywhere as well loaded with paper products or woodpulp to and from customers all over the US and Canada.

The CV boxcars could be found on any CN based rail line, or the West Coast as well off the CN.

The VTR, CLP, and GMRC boxcars are a little more close to their home rails, mainly for bagged talc or bagged limestone. Same goes for the LVRC boxcar for bagged talc or even asbestos. They of course, could also be found at various paper mills in the New England region, mainly Gilman, or the few that were in the VT and NH locations.

Maine Central boxcars could be found anywhere as could the B&M ones, for paper products, or woodpulp for various mills. Most could be found at International Paper, or SAPPI. I think I've even seen a few spotted at Georgia Pacific and Weyhauser.

I will also say, a lot of these boxcars ended up being purchased, painted or patched, for various companies such as BKTY, LRS, and SNC. Sadly, most are coming up on the 50 year mark, so if you spot any in real life, get photos of them before they are gone. Thankfully Andrew and the gang brought them to us all to enjoy.

Sorry, a lot was said... Haha
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

In the 1980's in Washington DC all of these boxcars could be seen. I remember the Government printing plant full of BAR boxcars delivering paper. A large magazine publisher on the B&O in Maryland just outside DC got about 1/3 of its product in MEC boxcars with St.Lawrence, BAR and B&M boxcars also common, though not in so much quantity. I remember in 1979 that Ben-Mont paper in Bennington Vermont loaded paper in those yellow VTR boxcars. I do remember the GMRC and LVRC boxcars in Potomac Yard in that era, presumably loaded with talc.
                          Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX

No, he is saying the older packs from years back, aren't worth the trouble to make available, as they are very outdated to today's standards from TS.
                            Thanks Shawn, I'm glad that's been clarified, some people might read it quickly/out of context and think the quality is going down - Train Simulations seems to be doing a nice job with everything they're putting out these days (if you can accept that the boxcars don't come with 3D cabs ;-)

- Jack
                            (For clarity, the 3D cabs comment was a joke)

Comment

Originally posted by TrainSimJack View Post

Train Simulations seems to be doing a nice job with everything they're putting out these days...
                              Yes, agreed. That is why I have mostly moved onto using strictly TS products when it comes to my repaints that I release to the public, whether is freight cars, or locomotives.

The routes are another subject for another time..
                              -Shawn K-
                              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                              X