Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feather River activity on DieselsWest Site.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feather River activity on DieselsWest Site.

Have any Dieselswest members tried the " Canyon Sub Lumber Jobs" act? I'm finding it impossible to retrieve the 2nd pickup (loose consist 32807) as the 1st car is standing directly over a derail switch.
    Regards,

Nick

( boffin0_reprised on TikTok )

Cyberpower Desktop with AMD Ryzen 5 CPU. 16GB RAM. ATI AMD Radeon RX6700 12GB graphics. Windows 11 Home 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree....​

Is this the one where you are trying to do a pickup at Sloat? Been so long since I last tried it, don't recall if it completed successfully. Not uncommon to have to open up the act file in notepad and delete the offending car from the loose consist pickup.

Activities really are the weakest link, always a crap-shoot, especially those built for dual MSTS and OR use. Some activity creators have MSTS on the brain, and use reverse points for every spur track drill. Which is no longer necessary in Open Rails when you just go to manual mode and perform whatever drilling of spurs is necessary, on or off path, without any need for reverse points that MSTS required. Plus I think he tested many of these against OR X2605 or something like that, which has to be 7 year old code by now.
    My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

Yes it's the Sloat one. I did substitute a smaller length freight car but it still straddled the derail switch. I'll try a complete delete of the end car.

I'm also having problems with the switches at Greenville on the NCE Mill Run Act. Shame really as it's a great route scenery-wise.

Thanks for responding.

Regards,

Nick
      Regards,

Nick

Cyberpower Desktop with AMD Ryzen 5 CPU. 16GB RAM. ATI AMD Radeon RX6700 12GB graphics. Windows 11 Home 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree....​

Comment

Just tried deleting a car off that loose consist but when I got to the location ALL the consist was missing plus I got an error in the log saying a tile was missing! lol. I've reinstated the original loose consist file which has cleared the tile error and I'll look at it again tomorrow - Had enough excitement for tonight. Makes me wonder if the car I deleted from that consist was at the edge of a tile or something? That's kinda beyond my paygrade.
        Regards,

Nick

Comment

Now sorted after moving the loose consist a few feet away from the derail switch. Seems it was on a tile boundary which explains a few things.
          Regards,

Nick

Comment

An interesting activity on a superb route. This activity has an interesting start, using AI traffic to add cars to player pickup and then couple to empties ( assumed player left them ) and proceed back to Quincy.

Went to Googly Earth to look at the Williams loop and also took a look at Quincy Junction...and the satellite view had caught a Quincy ( Sierra Pacific ) switcher leaving the junction going back to Quincy with empties!

Screenshot of switcher pushing empties back to Quincy in background, and player heading towards next job ( Feather River Lumber ) in foreground. Substituted BLW GP30's in player consist.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP3_CanyonLumber.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.6 KB ID:	2301822
            Cheers, Gerry
            "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
            It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
            Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
            Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

lol Gerry I didn't realise the switcher picked up the empties too ! So this time I stayed behind to watch using yard view after I'd sent the player train off on autopilot. Very clever stuff indeed. I use Carlo's excellent 'AI horn on starting' using trigger 330 so there was lots of horn action during the switching
              Regards,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by niknak View Post
                I use Carlo's excellent 'AI horn on starting' using trigger 330 so there was lots of horn action during the switching
                I had forgotten about that bit of coding from Carlo, I will add it to the activity. Thanks.
                Cheers, Gerry
                It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
                  I had forgotten about that bit of coding from Carlo, I will add it to the activity. Thanks.
                  Can you remind me how to add it? I had it enabled in a previous version, but now can't remember how to set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowdog View Post
                    Can you remind me how to add it?
                    Oh Brother! I'm going to have to refresh my memory also. I'll post on this thread when I get it done.
                    Cheers, Gerry

Comment

I have the secret, but will allow Gerry to present his moment of glory I use it on all the AI consist locos on every route I run.
                      Regards,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by niknak View Post
                        I have the secret, but will allow Gerry to present his moment of glory
                        Oh Plaeeze, it's not a meeting of the Secret 9 ... tell the poor fellow. 😄

Went to the manual, search "AI horn" and up it popped:
                        11.16.5 AI Train Horn Blow
                        Waiting points can be used to instruct AI trains to blow their horns at specific locations.

If the waiting time value is between 60011 (1 second horn blow) and 60020 (10 seconds horn blow), a
                        single horn blow is generated.

If the waiting time value is 60021, a horn blow sequence is generated, with the pattern long blow - long
                        blow - short blow - long blow (North American horn pattern at level crossings).

The AI train will not stop at these waiting points, but will continue at its regular speed.

If the lead locomotive of the AI train has parameter DoesHornTriggerBell set to 1 in the .eng file, the bell
                        is played for further 30 seconds after the end of the horn blow.

To implement this feature it is not necessary to proceed as described in the first three paragraphs of this
                        chapter. It is enough to insert the waiting points within the paths with either the MSTS AE or through TrackViewer.
                        Followed by >>>11.16.6 AI Horn Blow at Level Crossings​

So I assume, go to Trackviewer, open up correct AI Switcher path and add the waiting points to the path.
                        Last edited by R. Steele; 04-29-2024, 02:03 PM.
                        Cheers, Gerry

Comment

Well okay then ......Just add the attached text to the lead loco's eng. sms file for every AI consist in an activity. Be aware there's sometimes more than one horn entry in an sms.file and it seems you need to add this text wherever there's such an entry. New Text Document.zip Goodnight all.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by niknak; 04-29-2024, 02:13 PM.
                          Regards,

Nick

Comment

Awesome, thanks, everyone! I must have done something different last time, because I don't recall editing paths or eng files ha ha. I have 2 questions about Nick's file
                            1) It looks like these are set to train meet and train start. I wonder if it's possible to set to grade crossing.
                            2) I wonder if it's possible to set this up as an .inc file rather than copying the entire text into the sms file.

Comment

This is the grade crossing entry for each act file. ( 2xlong 1xshort and 1xlong (N American pattern). Goes between "Next Activity Object UID" and "Traffic Definition".

ORTSAIHornAtCrossings ( 2 )
                              ORTSAICrossingHornPattern ( US )

An inc file for the train meet and start would certainly save a lot of work! Way beyond my pay grade though. I should add that I've only tried the meet and start horn sound in Carlo's New Year version of OR so am unsure if it works in other versions as I only use New Year MG. Attached is a sample sms file showing the necessary entries. 3DTrains_FUnit_Eng1.zip
                              Last edited by niknak; 04-29-2024, 03:39 PM.
                              Regards,

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X