X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on how to change horns from any trains and or locomotives

Hello again, due to my word count on the last question I asked about a horn, this is my second question I'd like to also ask in relation to the first question I asked that I was curious about. So, question on this, If I were to put or want to change a horn from a locomotive and or cabcar from any commuter trains and then put a new horn on it, how would I go about doing that? Locomotives such as CSX, NS, or BNSF or any of the locomotives from TrainSimulations and Commuters such as Amtrak, Amtrak Pacific Surfliner both F59PH and Cabcar, Coaster, MBTA, and etc, or again in that case any of them from here from the file library, how would I go about doing that and what are the steps? Is there also a tutorial of how I am able to change and or put horns on locomotives and commuter trains? because I also went on youtube and tried searching for it but I couldn't like follow it through.

Any advice on this would help!

Here are the very basics.
    Open your locomotive .eng file. Do a search for Sound. You should see 2 different .sms files (one for eng/external, one for cab/internal). Open those two sms files. Do a search for horn. That will tell you the .wav file the locomotive is currently using for the horn. Changing the wav file to something else you have on your system will change the horn in-game.
    Some things to consider:
    There are a lot of horns in the file library. Many people download these and put them in a repository in their TRAINSET folder.
    wav files that start with x_ usually are the ones you should put in your eng/external sms.
    Changing the horn in the sms may impact other locomotives you have; many units frequently use the same sms files. You can get around this by aliasing, or by changing the name of the sms file (CSX_K5LA_eng.sms, for example, so you know what horn is being used in the sms file). There are several sound packages in the file library that already included various horn options, so that you can customize horns to units/roads, and they are usually set up similar to this.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowdog View Post
      Open your locomotive .eng file. Do a search for Sound. You should see 2 different .sms files (one for eng/external, one for cab/internal). Open those two sms files. Do a search for horn. That will tell you the .wav file the locomotive is currently using for the horn. Changing the wav file to something else you have on your system will change the horn in-game.
      Some things to consider:
      There are a lot of horns in the file library. Many people download these and put them in a repository in their TRAINSET folder.
      wav files that start with x_ usually are the ones you should put in your eng/external sms.
      Changing the horn in the sms may impact other locomotives you have; many units frequently use the same sms files. You can get around this by aliasing, or by changing the name of the sms file (CSX_K5LA_eng.sms, for example, so you know what horn is being used in the sms file). There are several sound packages in the file library that already included various horn options, so that you can customize horns to units/roads, and they are usually set up similar to this.
      Ah, okay I see. Awesome thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowdog View Post
        Some things to consider:
        So question, so for example if I want to change a horn and put a new horn on a CSX locomotive from TrainSimulations which is the CSX Trainset Vol. 1, so I would have to first go to the folder containing routes, global, trains, and sounds and then go into trains and locate the CSX engine file folder and once I do that I go to where it says Sound and then look for the horn wav files and the one that has the x_, that will be the one i change? and I can do that by deleting that horn and replacing the new horn in that same spot and I should be fine?

Also, what does sms files mean?

Comment

SMS = SoundManagementSystem
          eg.
          acelacab.sms = Sound locomotive in CabView
          acelaeng.sms = Sound locomotive in OutsideView
          acelapas.sms = Sound PassengerView in locomotive or wagon
          acelawag.sms = Sound wagon in OutsideView

Jan
          Last edited by kapitaen; 05-21-2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitaen View Post
            SMS = SoundManagementSystem
            Ah, okay I see.

Comment

Working...
            X