X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control?

Some Activities require a “Do Not Exceed 55 MPH” while the track rating is 70 MPH. As a result, I cannot use autopilot. In my (limited) experience autopilot reads the track MPH rating to run the train.

Is there a way to add a speed-governor (cruise control) or a way to instruct the autopilot not to exceed x-MPH? It would seem logical that real locos would have a user-capable speed governor.

It's in the CON file. Near the top there is a row with two strings of digits. The string on the left is the maximun speed for the consist. It's in Meteres per Second. The value for 55 MPH is 24.585

If you enter 24.585 there, OR will not let that consist exceed 55 MPH. Leave the other string on that line alone, OR doesn't use it.

Comment

Will this work in autopilot?

Comment

It only works for AI and Autopilot. If you're running the train yourself, you can go as fast as your engine can take you!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lvlender View Post
            Is there a way to add a speed-governor (cruise control)
            The manual is searchable and full of information: Chapter 10 is all about implementing and using Cruise Control....which may be more than you wish to take on now.

Autopilot when implemented was intended as more of a way to quickly run through testing activities --- or --- just riding around in the train without having to worry about controlling it, it is closer to AI logic than anything else, braking, acceleration, etc. are unrealistic.
            Cheers, Gerry
            "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
            It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
            Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
            Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Originally posted by dcarleton View Post
              It's in the CON file. Near the top there is a row with two strings of digits. The string on the left is the maximun speed for the consist. It's in Meteres per Second. The value for 55 MPH is 24.585

If you enter 24.585 there, OR will not let that consist exceed 55 MPH. Leave the other string on that line alone, OR doesn't use it.
              Oh, this will be perfect for consists I make on the MEC/WMRC mountain division with certain speed restrictions. (Loaded ethanol or oil trains for example) With a restriction of 25mph.
              -Shawn K-
              Derby Rail Shops
              Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Hello dcarleton,

thanks for posting. I put the new value you instructed into the MaxVelocity line of the consist file. I began a fresh activity sesson using the modified consist file.

It Works!

After the new Max Velocity value was put into the consist, the Track Monitor no longer showed a max 74 MPH. The Track Monitor max speed is now 55 MPH. This is a quick way to adjust an activities maximum speed. Of course, in the future, any activity you plug the modified consist into will also be held to a 55 MPH limit. I could see where that might not be a good thing.

I will also look into R. Steele's post about doing the research into the ORTS manual chapter 10 'cruise control'. For tonight dcarleton, yours was a great suggestion,

Thanks!
                Last edited by lvlender; 05-21-2024, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X