Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Duplicating the same Locomotive but with different horns

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question on Duplicating the same Locomotive but with different horns

    Hello, so I have a question that I am curious about. Is it possible to duplicate more than one of the same locomotives to have different horns so that you won't just be stuck on the one locomotive that has a default horn if you wanted to create a consist of trains but with more than one of the same locomotives that is duplicated? locomotives either from TrainSimulations that you already purchased or ones from here from the file library? There is this other game called Trainz Simulator and on there you have the option to duplicate or make a copy of the same locomotive and you can make it have different horns by placing a different horn in them. If so, would I have to create a separate folder, name it whatever locomotive, and place the sounds in them or? How exactly, step by step?

    Any advice on this would help! Also, the locomotive that I wish to duplicate is CSX, the one from either TrainSimulation (in which I already purchased) or the ones from here after installing.

    #2
    Originally posted by TrainGuy17 View Post
    There is this other game called Trainz Simulator and on there you have the option to duplicate or make a copy of the same locomotive and you can make it have different horns by placing a different horn in them.
    Don't have any experience with the above, sounds like it is coded into the game.

    Here in Open Source/Open Rails world...most anything is possible if you have time time/tools/&tinkering ability to perform the task.

    There are two sms files in any diesel locomotive .eng file( and I assume steam also ) one for eng/ext ( exterior ) sounds and one for cab sounds.

    Each sms file will have an appropriate horn file .... you can swap these out for other horns.

    To use the exact same locomotive with different sms files, you'll need to make a copy/or copies of the locomotive .ENG file and change the name to whatever makes sense to you, all these copies can reside in the same folder as the original locomotive....they will all use the same shape & texture files --- they will have different FILE names, and the Wagon, Engine, Wagon, and description Names in the file will be different.

    FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng

    Code:
    SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______
    
    Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423
    Type ( Engine )
    WagonShape ( SF_8_40B_7423.s )
    Size ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m )
    Comment ( 280,000 lbs )
    Mass ( 130.6t )
    WheelRadius ( 40in/2 )
    InertiaTensor ( Box ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m ) )​
    2nd portion of file that needs name change:
    Code:
    Sound ( "FDLeng.sms" )
    )
    
    Engine ( SF_8_40B_7423
    Effects
    (
    DieselSpecialEffects
    (
    Exhaust1
    (
    0 4.72 -2.84
    0 1 0
    0.25
    )
    )
    )
    Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423 )
    Type ( Diesel )
    last part of file that needs name change:

    Code:
    Sound ( "FDLcab.sms" )
    
    Name ( "SLI ATSF 8-40B 7423" )
    Description (​
    Any place you find "SF_8_40B_7423" should be changed to whatever makes sense to you....all should be the same
    --- and all must match the FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng <<< so start with renaming this one.

    You'll notice in the above code snippets the two necessary sms ( sound ) files.

    Also the Name in the description should be changed so it appears as a separate unit in any consist editor or utility program that uses the "Name" as a descriptor.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-29-2024, 01:39 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
      Don't have any experience with the above, sounds like it is coded into the game.

      Here in Open Source/Open Rails world...most anything is possible if you have time time/tools/&tinkering ability to perform the task.

      There are two sms files in any diesel locomotive .eng file( and I assume steam also ) one for eng/ext ( exterior ) sounds and one for cab sounds.

      Each sms file will have an appropriate horn file .... you can swap these out for other horns.

      To use the exact same locomotive with different sms files, you'll need to make a copy/or copies of the locomotive .ENG file and change the name to whatever makes sense to you, all these copies can reside in the same folder as the original locomotive....they will all use the same shape & texture files --- they will have different FILE names, and the Wagon, Engine, Wagon, and description Names in the file will be different.

      FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng

      Code:
      SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______
      
      Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423
      Type ( Engine )
      WagonShape ( SF_8_40B_7423.s )
      Size ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m )
      Comment ( 280,000 lbs )
      Mass ( 130.6t )
      WheelRadius ( 40in/2 )
      InertiaTensor ( Box ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m ) )​
      2nd portion of file that needs name change:
      Code:
      Sound ( "FDLeng.sms" )
      )
      
      Engine ( SF_8_40B_7423
      Effects
      (
      DieselSpecialEffects
      (
      Exhaust1
      (
      0 4.72 -2.84
      0 1 0
      0.25
      )
      )
      )
      Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423 )
      Type ( Diesel )
      last part of file that needs name change:

      Code:
      Sound ( "FDLcab.sms" )
      
      Name ( "SLI ATSF 8-40B 7423" )
      Description (​
      Any place you find "SF_8_40B_7423" should be changed to whatever makes sense to you....all should be the same
      --- and all must match the FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng <<< so start with renaming this one.

      You'll notice in the above code snippets the two necessary sms ( sound ) files.

      Also the Name in the description should be changed so it appears as a separate unit in any consist editor or utility program that uses the "Name" as a descriptor.
      Ah, okay I see. Sounds like this is going to be interesting doing this. Yeah, in Trainz, if you go to the content manager and look for a locomotive and you right click it and press copy or something, it will make a copy and you right click the one you copied and go into Wave pad and change the names, it's basically like coding.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
        Don't have any experience with the above, sounds like it is coded into the game.

        Here in Open Source/Open Rails world...most anything is possible if you have time time/tools/&tinkering ability to perform the task.

        There are two sms files in any diesel locomotive .eng file( and I assume steam also ) one for eng/ext ( exterior ) sounds and one for cab sounds.

        Each sms file will have an appropriate horn file .... you can swap these out for other horns.

        To use the exact same locomotive with different sms files, you'll need to make a copy/or copies of the locomotive .ENG file and change the name to whatever makes sense to you, all these copies can reside in the same folder as the original locomotive....they will all use the same shape & texture files --- they will have different FILE names, and the Wagon, Engine, Wagon, and description Names in the file will be different.

        FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng

        Code:
        SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______
        
        Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423
        Type ( Engine )
        WagonShape ( SF_8_40B_7423.s )
        Size ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m )
        Comment ( 280,000 lbs )
        Mass ( 130.6t )
        WheelRadius ( 40in/2 )
        InertiaTensor ( Box ( 3.594m 4.431m 20.6m ) )​
        2nd portion of file that needs name change:
        Code:
        Sound ( "FDLeng.sms" )
        )
        
        Engine ( SF_8_40B_7423
        Effects
        (
        DieselSpecialEffects
        (
        Exhaust1
        (
        0 4.72 -2.84
        0 1 0
        0.25
        )
        )
        )
        Wagon ( SF_8_40B_7423 )
        Type ( Diesel )
        last part of file that needs name change:

        Code:
        Sound ( "FDLcab.sms" )
        
        Name ( "SLI ATSF 8-40B 7423" )
        Description (​
        Any place you find "SF_8_40B_7423" should be changed to whatever makes sense to you....all should be the same
        --- and all must match the FILE NAME: SF_8_40B_7423.eng <<< so start with renaming this one.

        You'll notice in the above code snippets the two necessary sms ( sound ) files.

        Also the Name in the description should be changed so it appears as a separate unit in any consist editor or utility program that uses the "Name" as a descriptor.
        So the codes that you're showing of what needs to be changed, yeah what exactly needs to be changed? like is it the sound or engine or effects and do I change the name into whatever I want it to?

        Comment


          #5
          Any text file editor will work, technically this is not coding...people use Notepad++, ConText...

          Originally posted by TrainGuy17 View Post
          and do I change the name into whatever I want it to?
          Like I said....
          To use the exact same locomotive with different sms files, you'll need to make a copy/or copies of the locomotive .ENG file and change the name to whatever makes sense to you, all these copies can reside in the same folder as the original locomotive....they will all use the same shape & texture files --- they will have different FILE names, and the Wagon, Engine, Wagon, and description Names in the file will be different.
          Jump in the pool and start swimming.
          Cheers, Gerry
          "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
          It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
          Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
          Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

          Comment


            #6
            Besides changing the filename you will also need to change the Engine line and the two Wagon lines within the ENG file to match the change you made to the filename.
            Charles

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
              Any text file editor will work, technically this is not coding...people use Notepad++, ConText...



              Like I said....

              Jump in the pool and start swimming.
              Oh, okay I see. Alrighty awesome! Well thank you so much, I will start experimenting with this.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by crstagg View Post
                Besides changing the filename you will also need to change the Engine line and the two Wagon lines within the ENG file to match the change you made to the filename.
                Ah, okay I see.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by TrainGuy17 View Post
                  Ah, okay I see.
                  Just follow my example in post #2 --- all MSTS style eng files follow the same construction.
                  Cheers, Gerry
                  "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
                  It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                  Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                  Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by R. Steele View Post
                    Just follow my example in post #2 --- all MSTS style eng files follow the same construction.
                    Okay, will do. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X