Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do different track profiles work together?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do different track profiles work together?

So, I have seen track profiles from MSTS (Kuju), Scalerail, X-Tracks and ATrack. I’m sure there are more.

Tell me if I’m wrong here,
    • X-Track installs over MSTS and deletes MSTS?
    • ATrack Installs over X-track and deletes X-Track?
    • Scalerail installs alongside of all of the above but, does not overwrite or erase them?
    • Each route, MSTS or ORTS based, has a preference for track profile?
    • The most complete, customizable profile is Scalerail?
    • Scalerail will not be used by a route unless it was written to specify Scalerail?
    • What else am I missing?
    Things I Learned.

Never ever install a new track profile without making a back-up copy of the Global folder. Keep this Global backed up folder in a separate location. It is helpful to rename the backed up folder (example… ‘GLOBAL_prextrack’ or, ‘GLOBAL_OEM’} to remind you why you kept a copy.

Uninstaller programs will not restore your GLOBAL folder back to its prior condition. After performing an uninstall, the Global folder may not be useable without repairs. Easier to retrieve and insert the correct Global back-up copy you previously saved.

X tracks shouldn't delete anything. Just add to the library of track shapes.
    Is it customizable? Can I use multiple-track textures? It is possible to have a track shape use two different track textures in the same route with a little work and not having to add to a T section.

It's crucial to back everything up regularly."

M. Payne

Comment

Add USTracks (North American) and DBTracks (European) which are not a stand-alone track system but were designed to replace Xtracks shapes. You cannot build a new route using US/DB, you must build the route using Xtracks and then edit World files to replace the individual pieces with the upgraded US/DB profile. The shortfall here is that the creator died before finishing all the replacement pieces. So for now, until someone wants to finish the missing items, US/DB conversions are better suited to simpler, freight only routes that do not feature complex diamonds or double-slip switches or high speed curved turnouts, the types of pieces that were never finished. Early MLT or Streamlines routes are suitable for this conversion.

ScaleRail/Scaleroads may be complete but it is hardly easily customizable. It also was the most restricted by EULA in terms of modification. Most Scalerail routes use version 1 (1.77 was latest?) while only one route (Sherman Hill) ever was deployed with Version 2. The two versions do not play well together and thus cannot share a common Global folder. Things with V2 development have kinda stalled alongside with the overall stalling of the 3DTrains standalone web presence.

A new issue (and one you got caught up in) was the fact that some Open Rails route builders are switching over to DDS textures from the ACE texture format common under MSTS. Again, the GLOBAL folder can only use one texture type at a time. This is why newer TrainSimulations routes built for Open Rails can share a common GLOBAL folder with each other, but NOT with older MSTS route content. When you install older MSTS routes in the TrainSimulations folder, any older Xtracks or ScaleRail installers will overwrite GLOBAL folder files with ones that display the wrong textures, leading to gray tracks with only certain routes. Open Rails routes for Scenic, Seligman, and Ruel were built using Xtracks that call upon DDS textures, all new routes built since then (Mullan, Shasta, LaGrande) use ScaleRail V1 that also were modified to call upon DDS textures. I personally later upgraded Scenic to DDS texture US3Tracks, and upgraded Ruel to DDS Texture ATracks.

Atracks also can install either DDS or ACE versions of files, you have to be aware of which ones you are working with before installing.
      My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

ATracks doesn't delete XTracks outright, but it does overwrite most of the shapefiles. Some XTracks shapefiles should remain e.g. the turntables and newer pieces created after the initial set was completed in 2007 or so.

Keep in mind that ATracks is intended as a drop-in replacement for XTracks. You shouldn't have to do anything aside from dropping the new shapes into Global\Shapes, and adding the dynamic track profile to each of your routes.

If you're unhappy with ATracks, re-install XTracks. I'm pretty certain the 250 or so original Kuju pieces are included with that distribution. If they're not, it should be easy enough to zip up the missing shapes.
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X