X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TS_Tank_Cars folder

Does anyone know which TS set(s) create the TS_Tank_Cars folder please? I've used 3 tank shapes from that folder for my additional FBL rolling stock and I'm trying to do readmes and am scratching my head on the tank cars. I'm ASSUMING it might be a generic folder that is used by a number of the TS routes/packs but short of reinstalling one by one (which might not work anyway given the installation is "targeted" to the same place) I can't narrow it down for the readme install info. Any help on that would be very appreciated please.
    Cheers!
    Pete

I think that folder is installed with all the Mullan Pass and Ruel Sub rolling stock.

Comment

According to the activities in which the cars in that folder are used the CGTX and PROX cars must have come with the Ruel Sub route. The CONX, GATX, TILX, and UTLX cars probably came with the Mullan Pass route.

Comment

the UTLX car is also present in the "TS_GENERIC_FREIGHT" folder from the freeware generic freight set

Comment

The UTLX car in the "TS_GENERIC_FREIGHT" folder has the same shape (same poly count at least) as the UTLX tank car from the SP SHASTA route. The poly count of those cars is much higher than that of the UTLX car in the "TS_tank_cars" folder and the texture mapping is different.

Comment

Thanks heaps guys! Thinking about it this morning I think I'll take the cautious approach and just install the routes one by one on an old machine and compare the Tank Car folder after each install. From an accessibility point of view, if the same cars are in Mullan & Ruel (for instance) that makes it easier for anyone wanting to use my stuff, but if they're not, then I need to make sure the readme is "pointing" to the correct set. Thanks again for the responses.
            Cheers!
            Pete

Comment

I think we are discovering why some vendors poo-poo'ed the idea of mixing MSTS and ORTS content and took steps to make sure things did NOT work if this understanding was absent.

Take that A HUGE HINT, ORTS coders for camaraderie. That may also explain why certain 'file subsitution' fixes built into ORTS code were unfixed previously in the past.

I personally do have textures made for MSTS currently in my ORTS DDS-only install, but only after upgrading to current shapes and checking very carefully. The textures are from MSTS packs, but the rest of the files needed to introduce a car into the sim are not. And any pain in the ass ACE files were converted to DDS.

My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

There is another way of looking at the issue.

OR content can be made MUCH better than MSTS content, so they make the content as good as they can.

In making the high quality items, of course they will not run in MSTS.

Comment

Originally posted by geepster775 View Post
                  That may also explain why certain 'file subsitution' fixes built into ORTS code were unfixed previously in the past.
                  IF ( please correct me, if my assumption is wrong ) you are referring to the ace vs dds fix...that was not "unfixed", it was inadvertently broken by the addition of a warning message.
                  Cheers, Gerry
                  "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
                  It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                  Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                  Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Working...
                  X