Only viewable if you're a logged in user
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the current Steam Locomotives I am working on as of right now. All in various stages of being built as you can see. I tried to put them in order of how close they are to being finished.

All of the locomotives will be fully animated along with the latest and up to date features that Open Rails has to offer. Realistic physics and new custom sound sets specifically to that particular locomotive.

Also for those that are wondering I do use real stats and blue prints for every locomotive I build so they will be also be correct in proportion to the real locomotives they are representing.

Brandon

US Sugar 148
    US Sugar 148.jpg
    SP GS1
    SP GS1.jpg
    Rock Island R67B
    RI R67B.jpg
    NKP 765
    NKP 765.jpg
    UP 844
    UP 844.jpg
    UP 3985
    UP 3985.jpg
    CP 2816
    CP 2816.jpg

Comment

New unofficial forum rule: Provide screenshots when announcing a new project or upcoming release.

We've had too many "I'm going to build the entire State of Michigan" type announcements in the past, not to mention promises of huge locomotive or stock packs.

Extra credit to Brandon for following up on very ambitious list with proof that it's not just another wish list....
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Ask me what I've actually finished lately... Zip, Nada.
        http://www.railsimstuff.com
        Just Blender now, 3DCrafter only when I have to.
        formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
        https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement
        sigpic

Comment

Thank You Eric!

I was just thinking to myself lately there are so many steam locomotives that have either not been built for MSTS/Open Rails or the models out are so old that they just are not satisfactory any more from the days of MSTS! We could all use some new models I feel and what way to start then build some excursion locomotives first that everyone knows.

There are plenty of diesel locomotives out there for everyone to enjoy but steam locomotives are a little harder to come by as they are much more difficult to model with the animation and physics so I figured that I would take it upon myself to make some nice looking models that everyone can enjoy that will have the up to date physics and features for Open Rails.

I also tried picking locomotives I knew I could build and have blue prints for but also a little bit of a verity for everyone. Yes I will admit I am more of a 4-8-4 guy but that is not everyone's cup of tea so I wanted to come up with a list that would interest everyone.

We have some fantastic modelers out there and some who are no longer with us and its time we pass the torch sort of speak to younger people who spark an interest in model making and Open Rails so we can see Open Rails succeed for years to come!

I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for Allen Norton, Eric and the others who where before me who guided and helped teach me the ropes of 3D modeling with TSM. Yes I am old school but if it ant broke don't fix it!

Brandon
          Last edited by BrandonS261; 11-28-2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pwillard View Post
            Ask me what I've actually finished lately... Zip, Nada.
            Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by superheatedsteam View Post

Art is never finished, only abandoned.
              Very True!! As for my own work I switch back and forth from modeling locomotives and passenger cars to route building. Just to keep it interesting. I have never just abandoned a project but I do stick some projects on the back burners for some time and then go back to them later when I feel the time is right to work on them!

Brandon

Comment

Can't wait to see these finally finished. Your 261 has pretty much become one of my favorite steam locos to run in the sim (only regret being I wish I had more Milwaukee cars to run with it!)

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonS261 View Post
                  I have never just abandoned a project but I do stick some projects on the back burners for some time and then go back to them later when I feel the time is right to work on them!
                  Brandon
                  Same here with one or two exceptions. Some of them have been on the back burner for 15 years.....

The only project I truly abandoned was my Crandall Cab E8B conversion.... I know my limits, and they don't include moving objects...
                  If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Unoriginal View Post
                    Can't wait to see these finally finished. Your 261 has pretty much become one of my favorite steam locos to run in the sim (only regret being I wish I had more Milwaukee cars to run with it!)
                    Thank you!

I do plan on building some more Milwaukee Road 261 excursion cars and some are already in the works but I just have so many projects going at once its hard to juggle around some times what to priorities!

I also plan on eventually building a D&H K class 4-8-4 as they are very similar in design to the 261 but that is a project down the road once I get a few more of these steam locomotives done first!

Comment

It's probably better to get all the projects you showed here completed before starting other things, just so you don't have to juggle around 20 or so different things at once. I think your current ones should be priorities.

Comment

Yes I agree! The Milw 261 that I released was kind of a test to see how well received it would be and I was pleased with the results so I decided to go ahead and start building more steam locomotives for future release!

I hope everyone likes what they see so far! I tried to give some veriaty so it kind of fits all areas of steam locomotives both big and small.

I will tell you that the SP GS1 4-8-4 along with the Challenger 4-6-6-4 are being built for eventual testing for future Open Rails development as myself and a small group of steam modelers are now helping the Open Rails team with physics and future features for steam locomotvies. However I will not tell you what those physics or features will be however so you will just have to wait and see!

Brandon
                        Last edited by BrandonS261; 11-29-2023, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Another project I have in the works that I have been working on for the last few days! As you can see I hold true to my word and present to you the famous NYC 4-8-4 Niagara!!

The reason I enjoy building steam is because every locomotive is unique and all come with there own sets of challenges! You build a diesel locomotive and you can do repaints for multiple railroads. With a steam locomotive it isn't so cut and dry. Many of the railroads custom built there steam locomotives to there desired preference and all have there own unique personality per say!!

Brandon​

Screenshot 2023-12-02 220950.jpg Screenshot 2023-12-02 221008.jpg

Comment

When will the models be released?

Comment

Whenever they get finished. No way to know other than that.

Comment

Yes they will eventually be released in time but as of right now I am in the process of switching over from TSM to Blender so a new program to me comes with learning the software and possibly a little longer time to create as I learn the ropes of modeling in Blender vs TSM that I have used for years! The reason for the switch however is the hope I will be able to make more detailed models eventually at a quicker pace then I was able to in TSM. This will also give me the ability to use the new file format for Open Rails if wanted.

Brandon

Screenshot 2023-12-07 233218.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 231535.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 232630.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 232515.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 232757.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 233430.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 233757.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-07 232149.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Working...