Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2295639

And 4612 in former Clinchfield livery

Click image for larger version

Name:	csx4612.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2295640

I think that just about covers this group!

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    Thanks! Definitely a puzzle. It's a former Gainesville and Midland unit. But I don't know anything more than that.

Leave a comment:

• Unoriginal
    replied
    I think it looks wonderful. Wasn't the unit originally from a shortline railroad?

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    It took me several tries, but I finally figured out how to get a pretty good representation of CSX 8300. This unit is unique because it does not have dynamic brakes. I combined 2 of Tyler's Illinois Central SD40s, modifying prim states and alpha channels, to kitbash this together. The included eng file also is for a non-dynamic brake locomotive. Some details may not be correct; It may be resource-heavy. I hope to do versions of 4600 as well (renumber/weather and YN).

Name:	csx8300.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2295417

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    I put a couple more repaints up. SD40s 8341 in Grey Ghost/Stealth and 8310 in CSX Transportation blue, and GP38 9661 in MOW Orange

Click image for larger version  Name:	csx8341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	2295343
    Click image for larger version  Name:	csx8310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	2295344
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CSXGP389661.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	2295345

While working on 8310, I noticed a small striping error on 8301. I'm attaching an .ace file ( 8301b.zip ) to update it. Just drop it into your 8301 folder and overwrite the old one (making a backup first, if needed)

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    You're welcome! The YN2 scheme is a pain ha ha. But otherwise this was a fun project and I'm glad to have some early CSX power based on updated models.

Yeah, SD45s were some of my favorites, too. This thread kinda wandered away from those ha. Maybe I'll revisit that model, too,

Leave a comment:

• eric
    replied
    Same. The 45's (SD and FP) were by far my favorite 1970's era diesels.

Leave a comment:

• CSRX
    replied
    Really loving these! Thanks for all the hard work on them!

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    The YN version is done, at least as close as I can get it with some limitations. This may be the last one I do, but has definitely been a fun series

Name:	4617_y.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2294704

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    Blue nose CSX 4617. The model details aren't perfect, but it's as close as I can get it. I'll try to get the yellow nose version done and then have everything ready for upload over the weekend with both texture options. I've also been looking more at 8300/4600. Unfortunately I don't think we have the right combination of details for that model.

Name:	4617_blue.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	2294657

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    4608 is up. I also put up 8393, as I had already done most of the heavy work of kitbashing and then didn't need to change much in regards to Tyler's original C&O textures. 4617 is the next one to do

Name:	csx8393.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2294534

Leave a comment:

• Unoriginal
    replied
    Amazing job, that simply just looks awesome. IMO YN2 is probably the most iconic CSX paint scheme.

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    Clean 4608 is done. I'll also do an alternate texture option with lite weathering.

Name:	4608_1.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2294450

Name:	4608_2.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2294451

Leave a comment:

• yellowdog
    replied
    Ha ha, agreed. I don't know what else to call it, though, since it's not like a traditional FreightAnim--it is digital kitbashing....

I started with the base .s files, in this case the original C&O 7508 that Tyler released to the file library in his C&O SD40 80s pack and the cab.s file from the Clinchfield v3 set that Tyler made for me (I used his blank textures for this--which makes it look a lot like the undecorated HO shells I remember.... ha ha ha).

Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	2294370
    And then cut out the unwanted parts of each .s file (first changing TexDiff to BlendATexDiff in each .s file, then applying changes to the alpha channels in their textures where needed) while keeping and painting the parts I wanted. In this case, I wanted to change the handrails, dynamic brake blister, and plow/pilot of the 7508 model. I alphaed those parts off of 7508, while Ieaving just those parts on the CRR v3 shell by alphaing everything else out. Then I added the appropriate paint to the CRR v3 cab.s shell. (I haven't yet tested removing the cab textures from the shell, so they still appear on the alphaed CRR v3 .s file pictured below.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	2294371

Overlapping the two modified .s files in Shape File Viewer creates a frankenmodel, but gives the general idea of what it might look like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	2294372

TSRE Consist Builder displays the model correctly, assuming the kitbasher accurately modifies the eng file to use the shell as a FreightAnim

Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	2294373

And it loads up in ORTS correctly, too, without any flickering that I've been able to notice, or errors in the logfile. Animations also appear to work as intended (I don't believe there are animations on the shell).

Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	2294374

A concern may be system resources. But FPS on a camera view 4 roll by are similar for both the kitbash version (first pic below) and original version (2nd pic below)--FPS drops down to 220-250 when the train gets close, and then goes back up to 340+ once the first engine passes.

Kitbash at 220s:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	2294375

Original at 250s:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	kitbash10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	2294376

And, of course, modifying the .s files by changing TexDiff to BlendATexDiff may also have unintended/unwanted results....

I'll also need to figure out how to get the 3d cabview working properly. The kitbashed version of the model above is currently pointing to the original 7508 cab.s file, with the incorrect dynamic brakes and handrails visible from the cab. I think it would be difficult (but maybe not impossible?) to try to create a kitbashed 3d cab.s file. I think in this instance, though, I can just replace the original 7508 cab.s with an unmodified crr v3 cab.s in a 1-to-1 swap, after applying the c&o paint to the crr v3 version. But other models may not be so "clean." I think this will still require 3 sets of similar textures in the loco folder, though--one for the base .s, one for the shell/freight anim .s, and one for the cab .s.

Assuming this process is viable, I should be able to get a couple other variants out of this series. Hopefully including CSX 8300/4600--the ex-GM SBD paint SD40 with no dynamic brakes (theoretically using Tyler's IC/ICG SD40 cab.s file and some other sd40 model, maybe the one from GM&O?). I have to finish 4608 first, though.... ha ha.

At any rate, this kitbashing process will all be completed on the reskinner side. The user won't have to do anything on their end to set it up.
    Last edited by yellowdog; 01-28-2024, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X