Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default Track Replacements

Collapse
This thread is discussing the following file:

Default Replacement Tracks - Option 1 (ATracks)

File date: 2024-05-23 19:00:00
Downloads: 727

>> Download Now <<

X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On some of those tram pieces, the geometry that's provided in the tsection might be questionable.

Not sure why the 10d dblslip is reverted - its a case where the tsection was indeed flawed and had to be recalculated.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Using Acleantrack - only issue I find is that one edge of the ties appear on the base texture, so looks a little funky - otherwise looks good.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Rails 2024-01-30 10-02-08.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	2294503
      Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
      It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

Comment

I'll take another shot at the texturing. Not happy with the tie plates on one side, either.

Also looking into the slips and tram pieces. Some of the changes that should have been made didn't seem to take correctly...
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Here's something else I've tried.
          Copied and renamed acleantrack1.ace as US_Track3.ace & US_Track3s.ace, and then imported the original US_Track3s alpha onto the new 3a texture. Worked out rather well.

Name:	Open Rails 2024-01-11 10-40-41.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	2294515

Only issue I found doing this is that the ties end up off center a little.

Name:	Open Rails 2024-01-11 10-18-57.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2294514

Hard to see but the plates that the rails would be attached to ( part of the tie texture ) are not under the rails on one side. Don't really notice in the sim unless you look close.

Comment

For whatever reason, the 30 degree turns appear to be throwing off the math somewhere within the script that generates the rails. It's not happening in the 35 degree and larger items, so I'll have to dive into the math. Failing that, the tram pieces may just need to be left out.

Comment

Originally posted by oper190 View Post
              Hard to see but the plates that the rails would be attached to ( part of the tie texture ) are not under the rails on one side. Don't really notice in the sim unless you look close.
              Yep, there's a difference in the mapping for ties, and that shift is why I had to create a second set of shapes... to accommodate the texture differences.

My take... if you want to use the USTracks textures, use the correct shapes. It's not that hard to create a second directory to separate routes using US Tracks and routes using Kuju textures.

Comment

That mapping issue, is the biggest reason we need to leave the original AClean track textures in the past, and move on. Though, you have a lot more patience than I do, developing it so people can continue holding onto the past..

I recently installed the latest USTracks version, and as usual, I am pleased with it and it's looks!

-Shawn K-
                Derby Rail Shops
                Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                  My take... if you want to use the USTracks textures, use the correct shapes. It's not that hard to create a second directory to separate routes using US Tracks and routes using Kuju textures.
                  Eric - Already been done, but I do feel the US_Tracks render a better result on the overall so probably staying with that for most routes

Actually been having good results with using acleantrack1.aces ( I think I downloaded nearly all the add-ons that were available ) so there are more ballast variations. I make them into ballast only .aces as US_Track3.ace then pick the US_Track and US_Rails I think looked best for the route with good results.

Here are a couple of sets done that way:

Name:	Open Rails 2024-01-24 09-30-01.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2294531

Name:	Open Rails 2024-01-10 02-05-10.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2294532

Comment

I'm all in favor of the US_Tracks textures, and am still a Scalerail creator ---- but keep in mind this is a global repository...

Again, the goal was to create a drop-in replacement and instant facelift for routes created from the default routes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Update on the mangled tram pieces... it was a problem in the script which Doug helped identify. I'll have an updated set with some other fixes and texture remaps later this week.

Comment

Below are two pictures from the original MSTS EUROPE1 route for comparison. The images are from the TSRE5.

Original Kuju Tracks.​

Name:	Screen Shot 01-31-24 at 09.53 AM.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	2294553

default-track-ATrack

Name:	Screen Shot 01-31-24 at 09.58 AM.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	2294554

In my opinion, the difference in quality is not very great. Without new textures, I wouldn't use the default-track-ATrack. The only thing that stands out is that the water is missing.
                        For me, only the default-track US tracks come into question anyway.

Greeting Jan

Comment

Eric...would you have the link at Elvas for the discussion regarding these "upgraded" shapes? I looked the other day, but did not find it.

Thanks,
                          Steve

Comment

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ahh....so after reading here and Elvas...really what has been decided is to generate track shapes from procedural scripts. Rather clever I would say. I can see that it took you some time to decipher the mechanism in these scripts and from this side of the screen..just getting that stuff to work is not very clear at all looking at github. I am waiting for the cue where complexity will not allow some track pieces to be crafted from scripting alone. Maybe that can be outlined in a list..someplace. Some among us could try to create those pieces by upgrading the procedural script shapes generated with Blender. Upgraded textures..as in size will help with the visual appeal.

thanks for the tip,
                              Steve

Comment

All tracks in the releases were created by scripting, and no actual manipulation in Blender needed*. All of the geometry was extracted from the TSection by scripting, and only a handful of pieces needed to have the geometry re-worked to address what appeared to be minor math flaws within the TSection definitions (i.e. some pieces not lining up correctly when built by vector).

As of today, it can generate points, frogs and guards for a two path turnout, and guards for two track crossing.

It can create standard, tunnel, bridge, water pan and concrete track sections (default needs) and will easily suffice for road sections.

I've used it for my own purposes to create catenary wire pieces, deep berms, and eventually will try third rail track.

Your question is "how much can't the script do?"
                                • It can't generate points on a 3+ path object (e.g. slip switches)
                                • It can't handle a partial shape (ballast only) mixed with a normal shape (ballast + tracks)
                                Those could probably be handled within the script with some added definition to the JSON structure, and are really due to a lack of definition/association within the TSection.

It's easier to fix the handful of one-off's than to invest the time in fixing the source data structure. In IT parlance, it's the 80-15-5 rule -- you spend 50% your time on the first 80%, another 25% of your time on the next 15%, and 25% of your time on the last 5%.... Sometimes, that last 5% isn't truly worth automating.

(* = The buffer sections, pedestrian and level crossings did require a merge which I did half with the script and half by hand, but both Doug and I have been able to generate insertion of a switchstand object, and it was only the lack of a conforming heirarchy in my add-on objects that caused it not to work completely automated. That will eventually get automated. )

Comment

Working...
                                X