Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint is going on quite nicely for the new nose units. Once the base paint is on, renumbering and varying the weathering should go pretty quickly. The P32AC-DM is undergoing it's model conversion, the vents have been moved and resized, sand fill hatches moved, etc. A few nights of work there left.

Comment

Oh!

Comment

That looks really nice! I'd say that looks better than the TrainSimulations model.

Definitely interested in how the P32AC-DM is going to turn out.
        NYC - Road of the Future

Comment

BaddAzz!!!
          Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Updates going into this week, I spend nearly the entire weekend on this project. My brain is melting a bit but forging ahead as the end draws near (for real?)

P40DC model: Complete
            P42DC model: Complete
            P32AC-DM model: Conversion in progress/UV mapping and detail parts left to do

3D cab: In progress, still needs another two or three full days of work
            Sounds: Nash has a soundset for me he is tossing my way, I hear I am receiving them tomorrow to test
            Phsics: P40 / P42 complete, P32AC-DM pending

I am having an issue though - maybe someone has an idea - for some reason, a texture I have called CAB-CONTROLS.dds, is not properly exporting with Blender, with or without use .dds checked in the exporter. It shows up in the .s as blank.ace, but some of the controls show incorrect UV mapping to what Blender is showing. It's very odd.​

Comment

Saturday update:

Didn't get a lot done this week as I had a ton of real life work to attend to, but this upcoming week I expect significant strides in finishing the P32AC-DMs, and beginning to assemble eng files for all of the files. The cab is another area that should see some big gains this week.

The P32AC-DM is almost done - the 3rd rail equipment is modeled and UV mapped, and just needs texture details. The roof vent area is about 80% complete but is nearly there. It is important that any paint can be applied to any of the three variants and line up without any changes to lines and major features, so the UV mapping is almost identical. Some things, like the rear vents, needed to be done again because they are in different places and different sizes, but they are mapped to similar areas.

I also ran the P40 along the entire Shasta route last night, testing physics, lighting, and the new Nash Gallo sounds that he sent for me to test. It sounds amazing, but he tells me there is still some work to do there. I'd expect a few more updates throughout the week, including the official completion of all modeling work (with maybe the exception of the cab).

Comment

I don't run much passenger stuff at all, but this project I have definitely been looking forward to for it's completion. These locomotives look fantastic!
                -Shawn K-
                Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Wow The P32AC-DM
                  CN 5337 Proctor MN USA

Comment

Quick mid-week update - it's been all in the details this week - instead of having a billion unique shape files, the antenna arrays, bell/e-bell, and fans are freight animations so units can be configured per-railroad with the same shape file.

These have been mapped to be painted from the main texture but their material supports transparency so they can be masked off if needed, so you can create probably dozens of detail combinations if you're so inclined. I also re-modeled the antenna to better represent their real-world counterparts. The displayed antenna array replicates the modern PTC array but there are four different configurations in this package depending on the variant and railroad.

Fans have been animated as well, using FAs, so they spin constantly rather than with the speed of the wheels. Plan tonight is to finish up the FA assignments and I'd expect all 7 model variants to be completed by tomorrow night, and then the ONLY thing left is to complete the cab and vary out all the road numbers.

Comment

Cab made some big strides this weekend. I do have some texturing questions - what's the best way to do highlights on darker paint? Is it something that's painted on or some kind of bake? I find the ambient occlusion looks nice but the opposite, gentle highlights near edges, are pretty boring looking, just flat. Would love some thoughts on how that goes best.

Comment

Looking FANTASTIC!!!

Comment

Metro North P32AC-DM Awesone​
                          CN 5337 Proctor MN USA

Comment

Just checking in with everyone since I've been gone for a week or so - I had a work trip out in California and caught a NASTY virus, that I've been fighting off for a bit now. Parker's still working on textures in the background while I'm down and out.

Comment

As mentioned, while Kyle has been busy, I've been working on the textures for the units. I bashed some good air dryers texture together from various photos of diesels I've taken over the years and got some other parts from Creative Commons photos.

Here's one version of the Metro-North as-delivered scheme.

SFCAN218.jpg
                              Last edited by SD40-2; 04-13-2024, 03:41 PM.
                              Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
                              Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Comment

And, maybe just in time for these great units, Amtrak rolls out its Phase 7 P42 paint scheme . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X