First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever2006
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    The underbody piping was redone and I modeled new gladhands. The cab is still being worked on, but the exterior models are exported and are just getting versioned out for paint at this point.

Lots of things have happened behind the scenes, also:

Models are configured with animated roof fans (that are not tied to rotation of the wheels!)
    Models are set up with freight animations for a steel bell or an e-bell, configurable per locomotive
    5 different antenna arrays, configurable per locomotive as a freight animation.
    8 different model variants across 3 locomotive types, so people can faithfully recreate any livery from any time period with these engines from every railroad they operated on.​

-P40DC - As delivered
    -P40DC (Rebuilt) / P42DC - Old Nose
    -P40DC / P42DC - Bolt-on Nose
    -P42DC - VIA Rail nose configuration.

-P32AC-DM - As delivered
    -P32AC-DM - Old Nose w/ Nose Hatch
    -P32AC-DM - Bolt-on Nose w/ Nose Hatch
    -P32AC-DM - Bolt on Nose

These models are just waiting on the cab to be completed and for paint to finish.

That's some great stuff there.

Leave a comment:

• Strawberry Yogurt
    replied
    Originally posted by metrarailboy1 View Post
    Ah for some reason I can not see the photos.
    I just found out that Discord no longer allows external embeds, annoying but for the most recent post I've updated it.

Leave a comment:

• metrarailboy1
    replied
    Ah for some reason I can not see the photos.

Leave a comment:

• CSRX
    replied
    I'm completely blown away at how great these locomotives looks!

Leave a comment:

• LuFeDuTi
    replied
    It is important to take care of pets, they are part of the family. I had already been scared thinking that you had left your job but it wasn't like that, nice screenshot about his work on the Locomotives

Leave a comment:

• tarrant75
    replied
    Hey, if it works and YOU are happy with it, that's the most important part. Looks great to me!

Now to get the 3D cab to work

Leave a comment:

• Strawberry Yogurt
    replied
    Originally posted by tarrant75 View Post
    I would love to know the poly count on this one
    About 95k on each version. Certainly could have been more efficient in places but the wheels are round and there's lots of small details. In my testing, it doesn't perform really any worse than any other piece of stock I have on a few different machines, so I was pleasantly surprised about that. The cab should be less than that, and that's probably where more time will be spent

Leave a comment:

• tarrant75
    replied
    I would love to know the poly count on this one

Leave a comment:

• TrainSimJack
    replied
    Looks fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Strawberry Yogurt
    replied
    Originally posted by qballbandit View Post
    Real nice work, again! What is your long game with regards to weathering? I just can't imagine an Amtrak P without some good old "continental grime" on it
    There's planned to be a bit of variety in the liveries as far as dirt/grime is concerned, but if it's not up to your taste, the layered template will be included so folks can dirty them up to their liking. It's effectively the same template for all the models, there's some slight differences because of the vent differences in the P32 versions but for the most part you can take stripes/logos from one and drop them onto any other model and it will all line up. That was a big focus for me on this project was to make sure skins were transferrable across variants. P40/42 is the same template exactly, minus some details on the P40 as delivered version which has the rear window and strobes.

Leave a comment:

• qballbandit
    replied
    Real nice work, again! What is your long game with regards to weathering? I just can't imagine an Amtrak P without some good old "continental grime" on it

Leave a comment:

• Strawberry Yogurt
    replied
    The underbody piping was redone and I modeled new gladhands. The cab is still being worked on, but the exterior models are exported and are just getting versioned out for paint at this point.

Lots of things have happened behind the scenes, also:

Models are configured with animated roof fans (that are not tied to rotation of the wheels!)
    Models are set up with freight animations for a steel bell or an e-bell, configurable per locomotive
    5 different antenna arrays, configurable per locomotive as a freight animation.
    8 different model variants across 3 locomotive types, so people can faithfully recreate any livery from any time period with these engines from every railroad they operated on.​

-P40DC - As delivered
    -P40DC (Rebuilt) / P42DC - Old Nose
    -P40DC / P42DC - Bolt-on Nose
    -P42DC - VIA Rail nose configuration.

-P32AC-DM - As delivered
    -P32AC-DM - Old Nose w/ Nose Hatch
    -P32AC-DM - Bolt-on Nose w/ Nose Hatch
    -P32AC-DM - Bolt on Nose

These models are just waiting on the cab to be completed and for paint to finish.

Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 05-13-2024, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Strawberry Yogurt
    replied
    Hi all - I am feeling healthy once again and will be resuming work this week. My cat also had a nasty paw infection while I was out on a work trip, so when I was back home it was lots of visits to the vet alongside myself getting better. It has been a tough couple of weeks but my cat and I are doing much better and I'm ready to resume work.

Some cab and texture work picking back up this week and I'll update everyone when I have something to show. Appreciate everyone's patience.

Leave a comment:

• wwhall
    replied
    And, maybe just in time for these great units, Amtrak rolls out its Phase 7 P42 paint scheme . . .

Leave a comment:

• SD40-2
    replied
    As mentioned, while Kyle has been busy, I've been working on the textures for the units. I bashed some good air dryers texture together from various photos of diesels I've taken over the years and got some other parts from Creative Commons photos.

Here's one version of the Metro-North as-delivered scheme.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SFCAN218.jpg Views:	70 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	2299892
    Last edited by SD40-2; 04-13-2024, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X