X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narrow Gauge Track Replacements

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500674.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	2303238

If anyone is interested.... these are direct replacements for the N1T and N2T tracks that came in some versions of XTracks.

I'm not a narrow gauge afficianado, so my testing has been very superficial. This set only has completed standard and bridge tracks.

Tunnel sections, the bridge end piece, and 16m turntable pit are still works in progress, and will be added after some initial feedback.

Initial Test Version ----> default-track-NTrack-15May.zip

Screenshots from the Silverton Branch route in the file library
    Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500671.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	2303239 Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500672.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.6 KB ID:	2303240 Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500673.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	2303241 Click image for larger version  Name:	capture_500670.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	2303242
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

​Thanks for releasing these narrow-gauge replacement tracks! I briefly checked how they worked with the Madera Sugar Pine route, and they generally looked good. It was nice to see that the handful of track sections created for the MSP were also included in this set. If there is ever any interest in updating these tracks, here are a few thoughts:

While it wasn't much of an issue, the replacements used the ACleanTrack textures instead of the NCleanTrack textures usually used for narrow gauge.

The rails of the bridge track sections (n1tBrdg*) were at an offset elevation from the other sections.

When comparing the replacement tracks to the original narrow-gauge X-Tracks, the ballast textures looked "stretched" lengthwise. It's not the best picture, but the screenshot below shows the two track systems along the same short stretch of tracks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSP NGReps Comparison.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2303521

The stub switches were rather generic. I imagine those pieces are unique enough that they would require extra effort to create.​

Thanks again for going through the effort of creating these replacements!

Comment

The n1txover12db.s is o.K. But the n1txover12d.s and n1txover6d.s not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 05-20-24 at 08.29 AM.jpg Views:	468 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	2303529

Jan

addendum:
      Information: Ignored missing animations data in shape i:\train simulator 3\global\shapes\n1tpnt3drgtmnl.s
      Information: Ignored missing animations data in shape i:\train simulator 3\global\shapes\n1tpnt3dlftmnl.s
      Last edited by kapitaen; 05-21-2024, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Hi;

Thank you for making this replacement. It will be ideal for a proto-lanced 3ft route I'm working on.

Some feedback...

Echoing post #2; the rails on the bridge sections are positioned too high.

The other issue I noticed was the lower edges of the ballast slopes, where the transparent part of the texture sits, sometimes disappear when viewed from certain angles. Rotating the camera causes them to reappear. Not sure if this is a texture or rendering issue rather than the track itself.

A more general question to the community: was there ever a guide for the 'N' tracks showing how the switches and sections are intended to be used, for example in making yard ladders, crossovers etc like there is for standard gauge?

Thanks;

-Paul

Comment

The slopes may be fighting with transfers or terrain. I've seen this on another route where extensive transfers were used under the ballast, which was common but more or less unnecessary with TSRE terrain painting.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

I was running the Sumpter Valley for the first time, and realized that a route with both standard gauge and narrow gauge with the track profile might be a unique issue, plus the sharing of the same acleantrack texture makes things even more confusing (needs changed to ncleantrack).
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmm another reason to investigate multiple track profiles.
              ​​​
              ​Contributing to ORTS on GitHub as SteelFill

Comment

Working...
              X