X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Rails Locomotive CarBody Measurements

I have uploaded to the library104 locomotive carbody measurement include files in the following format:
    Code:
    Comment ( Specifications from drawings at UTAHRails.net )
    Comment ( Union Pacific Railroad Co. Drawing DE-400 )
    Comment ( Dimensions apply to EMD SD24 and SD24B )
    Comment ( Frontal Area == cross sectional area == 13.94997 meters squared = 150.1562ft^2 )
    Comment ( Mass Range: 385000lbs = 174.6331t to 390000lbs = 176.901t fully loaded and ballasted )
    Comment ( ORTS Parameters for wagon section of ENG file )
    Comment ( include ( "..\\..\\Common.inc\\Locomotives\\CarBody\\EMD_SD24.inc" )

ORTSNumberAxles ( 0 )
    ORTSNumberBogies ( 2 )
    ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 10.668m )
    ORTSLengthCarBody ( 17.2212m )
    ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 18.5039m )
    ORTSWagonFrontalArea ( 150.1562ft^2 )
    ORTSRigidWheelBase ( 4.1402m )

From the Open Rails Manual: 8.1.4 Derailment Coefficient

The derailment coefficient indicates the likelihood that a car or wagon will derail, and is the ratio of the lateral force to vertical force acting on the wagon. This concept was first proposed by Nadal.

The higher the coefficient the higher the risk that a derailment will occur. Most railway companies tend to operate at a coefficient value of less then 0.8 as this gives a desireable safety margin for the car.

The OR calculated derailment coefficient is displayed in the Force Information HuD. The coefficient value will change colour to indicate the likelihood of the car derailing.

White indicates normal operation, yellow provides a warning indication, whilst red indicates that derailment is extremely likely.

Open Rails uses some standard defaults that it uses to calculate the derailment coefficient, however if the modeler desires greater accuracy the following parameters can be added to the WAG file in the wagon section:

ORTSLengthBogieCentre - length between bogie centres.

ORTSLengthCarBody - Length between car ends (typically measured between the coupler pivot points).

ORTSLengthCouplerFace - length between coupler faces.

ORTSNumberAxles - number of axles on the car.

ORTSNumberBogies - number of bogies on the car.

ORTSRigidWheelBase - used for calculation of curve friction

ORTSWagonFrontalArea - used for calculation of wind resistance​
    These include files are Public Domain.

UP Drawing used for EMDSD24.inc file

Click image for larger version  Name:	UP_EMDSD24.jpg Views:	5096 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	2303944

Last edited by R. Steele; 05-30-2024, 06:54 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

If there is any confusion about ORTSNumberAxles and ORTSNumberDriveAxles -- this may help clarify the questions.

ORTSNumberAxles - number of non-driven axles on the car/locomotive. (used in WAGON section of eng file or wag file)

ORTSNumberDriveAxles - number of driven axles on the locomotive. (used in ENGINE section of eng file )

NB: Total axles on locomotive will be ORTSNumberAxles + ORTSNumberDriveAxles.

Most locomotives will have zero as the value for the ORTSNumberAxles parameter, an exception would be as follows:
    Code:
    Comment ( Locomotive Cyclopedia of American Practice 14thEd. 1950-52, Section 1 Pages:129-131 )
    Comment ( Specifications per Operating Manual No.2311 July, 1951 3rd Edition )
    Comment ( GM EMD Locomotive Specification 8016 for E8-A "Lead" February 10, 1949 )
    Comment ( Dimensions apply to E8A unit )
    Comment ( Frontal Area == cross sectional area == 13.8 meters squared = 148.542ft^2 )
    Comment ( include ( "..\\..\\Common.inc\\Locomotives\\CarBody\\EMD_E8A.inc" ) )

ORTSNumberAxles ( 2 )
    ORTSNumberBogies ( 2 )
    ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 13.1064m )
    ORTSLengthCarBody ( 20.7264m )
    ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 21.4122m )
    ORTSWagonFrontalArea ( 148.542ft^2 )
    ORTSRigidWheelBase ( 4.2926m )​
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-30-2024, 06:53 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Comment

I am always adding new locomotives to this set, so please ask if you do not find a favorite among those listed in this offering. PM here or use email provided in the text file. --- or post on this thread.

Not included in download set:
      Code:
      Comment ( Amtrak P40-42 Genesis Series Cutaway view and body dimension drawing )
      Comment ( Dimensions apply to GE Genesis P40 and P42 )
      Comment ( Frontal Area == cross sectional area == 13.3161 meters squared = 143.3333ft^2 )
      Comment ( Mass Range: 268240lbs = 121.672t to 295684lbs = 134.12t fully loaded and ballasted )
      Comment ( include ( "..\\..\\Common.inc\\Locomotives\\CarBody\\GE_P40_42.inc" ) )

ORTSNumberAxles ( 0 )
      ORTSNumberBogies ( 2 )
      ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 13.1699m )
      ORTSLengthCarBody ( 19.8689m )
      ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 21.0312m )
      ORTSWagonFrontalArea ( 143.3333ft^2 )
      ORTSRigidWheelBase ( 2.7432m )​
      Last edited by R. Steele; 05-30-2024, 06:54 PM.
      Cheers, Gerry

Comment

Working...
      X