First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agentatascadero
    replied
    cuontv,
    Thanks for those files. Hopefully this will work to help with my "noise" problems.. I'll report back on the results.

AA

Leave a comment:

• cuontv
    replied
    Loud Injectors

Mr AgentA, I too have run into the obnoxiously loud and overpowering injector sounds inside and outside the cabs on a number of locos that use that sound file. In addition to Scott's remedy of editing the actual .WAV file with an editing program, there is a way so 'turn down the volume' via the SMS files, infact, I turned down these sounds on several steamers this morning after re-installing 3DTS Donner Pass I.Since the formating would not transfer to this post, please see the attached file on how to adjust the volume of the SMS files. Hope this helps!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CSRX
    replied
    I spend more time than I desire in "the shops" than I do spending time actually running trains, trying to nail the physics as best as I can to the real deal, with what I work with in reality.

However, that's why I end up becoming burnt out on the sim completely and find other things to do outside of the sim.

Leave a comment:

• agentatascadero
    replied
    CSRX, I agree with your criticism of faulty numbers in MSTS wag and eng files. I know how to correct some of these, not others.
    This seems to be just another reason so many in this hobby spend most all their time "in the shops" and not out "on the road", though, over the years, I've concluded most here prefer shop time to throttle time anyway.
    I seem to be the exception to the rule. I get really frustrated at my limited abilities. Hell, there are lots of routes I can't use because I can't get them installed. This alone has made me a big fan of payware and it's ease of installation, etc.
    I had a late friend who was able to help me with some of my problems, but he's gone now.

AA

Leave a comment:

• CSRX
    replied
    MSTS models were also extremely unrealistic when it came to their physics, depending on the files in question. I know a lot of the default stock was extremely unrealistic, and in some cases a lot of future repaints used some of those default stock physics..

Leave a comment:

• scottb613
    replied
    Originally posted by agentatascadero View Post
    There is something I failed to mention above, and I don't know if it is or is not relevant.......I use the Raildriver. In MSTS I had learned how to use the reverser to adjust cut-off, but, in OR, this process seems trickier.
    Another thing I've noticed is that the "tractive effort" (pulling power) seems to be significantly less in OR than in MSTS.
    Still, most troubling to me are those "ambient" sounds which almost totally overpower the steam exhaust. I guess those who responded do not experience this?

AA
    Hi...

Derek Miller uploaded newer ORTS versions for the WP/SP GS locomotives.

The sound I'm assuming you hear is the Injector - it was extremely loud in a bunch of steam locomotives. I made it quieter on my models such as the Rutland and Maine Central Mikado's in the FL. You can use a sound editing program - such as Audacity - to edit the WAV and make it quieter - or - just swap out the sound file for a different one.

I would suggest - if you are using MSTS physics files in ORTS - you take the time to create one specifically for ORTS. It will probably work better and ORTS greatly simplified the process from what we used to do in MSTS. There're many new features for ORTS physics we never had in MSTS.

I don't use Rail Driver - but - the keystrokes to control the Reverser are the same.

Regards,
    Scott

Leave a comment:

• agentatascadero
    replied
    There is something I failed to mention above, and I don't know if it is or is not relevant.......I use the Raildriver. In MSTS I had learned how to use the reverser to adjust cut-off, but, in OR, this process seems trickier.
    Another thing I've noticed is that the "tractive effort" (pulling power) seems to be significantly less in OR than in MSTS.
    Still, most troubling to me are those "ambient" sounds which almost totally overpower the steam exhaust. I guess those who responded do not experience this?

AA

Leave a comment:

• scottb613
    replied
    Hi Folks,

All I do is model, paint, create physics, and drive steam locomotives in OR - keeps me happy.

If you're talking about hand firing steam locomotives - concur - it's not ready for prime time and not even on par with what we had in MSTS.

Regards,
    Scott

Leave a comment:

• agentatascadero
    replied
    Many thanks to those who replied.
    I've made some test runs after deleting the detector files. I think the "visual" of them also deletes, along with the offending verbiage, and I don't recall where they were. I'm happy this all worked without any unintended consequences.
    It would have been nice to "solve" my other issues too. I do miss running steam in OR.

AA

Leave a comment:

• NW 2156
    replied
    Originally posted by rt35ge View Post
    I'm really of no help sorry to say. I've long since move on from OR/MSTS. For whatever help it might be, I never could run a steam engine in MSTS and OR there was no way no how. Even my friend, who spent a summer as an engineer for the Georgetown Loop Railroad here in Colorado, had issues and he know more of what he's doing than I do! I have no issues with a steam engine in Railworks. My two cents, exit, stage right!
    Interesting,

I've pushed the limits of the UP challengers and 800 Northerns in MSTS several times.

I've also made the SP&S 700 work it's heart out on heavy coal trains.

It's possible to run steam. But it takes really good physics to make it work successfully.

For the UP steam, I always like the works of Jan van der Reijden & Anita Ashton Price. Both of them are pretty close in their physics. Although I still prefer to use Jan van der Reijden's physics and the smoke effects and lighting sections of Anita Ashton Price's work.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• CSRX
    replied
    Originally posted by rt35ge View Post
    I'm really of no help sorry to say. I've long since move on from OR/MSTS. For whatever help it might be, I never could run a steam engine in MSTS and OR there was no way no how. Even my friend, who spent a summer as an engineer for the Georgetown Loop Railroad here in Colorado, had issues and he know more of what he's doing than I do! I have no issues with a steam engine in Railworks. My two cents, exit, stage right!
    I don't run many steam locomotives, I'm more modern time stuff than anything, but the steam engines I've used, I have never experienced this issue? I have them show up in this sim, and also able to get them to work and move.

Leave a comment:

• eolesen
    replied
    Brandon is still active here, so perhaps he will jump in.

Leave a comment:

• Robkeb
    replied
    Your first question: you can delete the .wav without any problems. Open Rails doesn’t give any error. Renaming or moving those files is also a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• rt35ge
    replied
    Last edited by rt35ge; 03-12-2023, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• agentatascadero
    started a topic 3 questions

3 questions

1. First, a general question.....about detector "broadcasts". I try to run my sim in a '60s environment, so detector messages are
    unwelcome. I'm wary of simply deleting them, as, in the past (MSTS), such deletions have left the sim "forever" searching for the
    now missing
    item. Can one simply delete the detector messages....without consequences?

2. This one is more OR related. In MSTS, I loved running the Michael Knott/Brandon Smith 4449/Black 4449 engines. Now, in OR,
    Black 4449 does show up, but the Daylight 4449, in activities, is missing....or, should I say invisible? The fire in the firebox, class
    lights and headlights are visible, as is the exhaust. All else is invisible, though this invisible "thing" does seem to run normally in AI
    traffic. Re- installing does nothing to help.

3. This problem seems to be present with all GS models, from the GS-2s, 4's and the War Baby 6's, but most dramatically with the 4s.
    Soon after starting up, maybe a mile or two out, there is an overpowering noise, pretty much blocking out the exhaust sound, even at
    full throttle. I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds like possibly the injector pumping water into the boiler. Once it starts, this
    annoying and distracting noise seems to never cease.
    Does anyone else experience this? If so, is there a "fix" to silence this noise?

Thanks in advance to any who have something to offer.
    My one big frustratio0n with OR is the difficulty, and problems in running steam....it is a lot different than MSTS was. I have no such
    issues running diesel or electric.

AA
Working...
X