• Show
Clear All

CRKB_FJG Route

Name of Route: Conrail Kellog Branch_Fonda Johnstown and Gloversville

Version and Release Date: v1 October 1 2023

Description: Version 1 October 1 2023

Installation Method: Self-extracting exe

Size of Download: 430 MB total.

Size of Installed Route: 488 MB combined.

Prototypical Operations; Mainline, Branch, Switching: Yes, yes, and yes.

Freight or Passenger: Both

Era or Genre: Mid-1970s

Length of Mainline: CR Mainline 23 miles
    CR Kellog Branch 2.7 miles
    FJ&G Mainline 20 miles

Number of Sidings: Several.

Number of Yards: Two medium, several smaller.

Conrail double track main. Conrail Kellog Branch and FJ&G single track.

Level of Trackside Detail: High

Percentage of Scenery Completed: 100%

FPS Specs, with qualifiers: Mid-teens in heavily populated areas, mid-fifties out in the country,
    will depend on your settings in Open Rails.

Activities Provided: 4 Amtrak and 11 Conrail Mohawk Sub activities. 9 Conrail and 9 FJ&G activities.
    A total of over 130 hours of activities.

Non-Default Consists or Rolling Stock Required in Activities: Yes, see required rolling stock list.

Add-In Track Sets: Have no idea what this would be.

Xtracks Required?, Version: v3.2

Newroads Required?, Version: v4.0

Tsection.dat Build: build_38

Payware or Freeware: Freeware Only, NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.. Custom objects restricted use. Free as a bird.

URL for More Information and Screenshots: Trainsim forum screenshots

Known Problems: Not really.

Where it can be downloaded: Trainsim.com

Extra information: Ask on Trainsim forum

Designer's e-mail for more info: pcharland@cogeco.ca

Hi Paul:
    Another gift for fans of MSTS.
    Thank you very much.
    Best regards.
    Mateus

Comment

Gift for the fans of Open Rails, there are two tiles that exceed the 1500 object limit, so it won't open in MSTS.

Paul :-)

Comment

Paul, If the Route will not open in MSTS --- to avoid more questions and problems --- I'm going to move the route to the Open Rails / ROUTES section of the File library, if that's agreeable to you.
        Gerry
        Cheers, Gerry
        "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
        It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
        Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
        Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Sure, go ahead and move it.

Comment

I know 1500 was a goal in MSTS, but can someone verify if it indeed fails in MSTS? I had a couple 2000 object tiles in the CNW Chicago which still loaded because most of the shapes were low poly counts.
            If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

When I added a few objects to the tile in Amsterdam and it went over the 1500 object limit by just a few MSTS would not open the tile. This was also my starting tile at the time. Had no trouble opening it in Route Editor, just not able to open an activity but now that you ask, maybe that was a problem with the cabview ace file being 1064 and not 512. I'll do a test and let you know.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Just ran a test on the route and ran in MSTS. The starting tile was one tile away from a tile with 1729 objects on it. I used a GE 44 tonner with a small cabview file and it did run through the 1729 tile. Oddly enough, it went bast a grade crossing with gates and the gates were flying up and down. So yes, the route and your route would run in MSTS but... anyone using power with a more modern cabview that used larger 1064x ace files would not be able to open the route, that appears to be the limit and not the number of objects on a tile.

Comment

I'd think that texture resolution would blow up a lot of routes that otherwise work...
                  If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

I think this is the first time I posted a route that I never tested in MSTS. I just assumed that people no longer really used MSTS and had moved on to OR. I still build routes 100% in the old MSTS Route Editor, and create activities in MSTS but all the testing is done in OR (or really in ORNYMG) these days.

Comment

Hi Paul, I am very interested in running this route. The instructions indicate there is a required rolling stock list included. I cannot find it in any of the files I have checked. Thanks, Tim L

Comment

Hi Tim,

Sorry I didn't mention where, open the Activities folder and it's down at the bottom.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I need a new pair of eyes. Getting older is not that much fun. Tim

Comment

I usually mention that in the readme, just missed it this time.

Comment

Originally posted by charland View Post
                              Hi Eric,

Just ran a test on the route and ran in MSTS. The starting tile was one tile away from a tile with 1729 objects on it. I used a GE 44 tonner with a small cabview file and it did run through the 1729 tile. Oddly enough, it went bast a grade crossing with gates and the gates were flying up and down. So yes, the route and your route would run in MSTS but... anyone using power with a more modern cabview that used larger 1064x ace files would not be able to open the route, that appears to be the limit and not the number of objects on a tile.

Thank you for the information, Paul.
                              Regards.
                              Mateus

Comment

Working...
                              X