Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Rails v/s Black Magic

Collapse
Library File ID:
Highlight a file from the library you're discussing by entering the File ID number and clicking "Link Banner"
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Rails v/s Black Magic

The barrier between the two is slowly disappearing.

Hi all!
    So, I woke up today, happy, as usual. I opened Open Rails (the official one), selected a consist, selected a path for a route, and ran it. It did not load for a LONGGGGG time. Then I pressed Alt+F4 and I was greeted with "A fatal error has occurred and Open Rails cannot continue."

Then, I restarted my system, it refused to load anything at all! None of the routes load! Put simply, Open Rails has stopped working (permanently). I reinstalled OR, nothing changed. I uninstalled the past few Windows updates, nothing changed.

And as a final note, everything worked fine a day before.

​​I tried using perpetual-kid's OR fork, which did load the route. But it fails to load ALL ORTSFreightAnims. Further, everytime I open this app, I get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Bla bla"
    ​​​​​​
    I don't even know what kind of a peculiar problem this is. Yesterday, I did nothing. I played the game and switched off my laptop as usual. It was also NOT connected to the internet. My system is free of viruses, Kaspersky assures that. Then what happened?

I'm sorry I forgot to attach the log file. I'm currently out, so I will attach it later today.

Comment

Are you running the stable, weekly testing, or experimental builds?

If you were doing the daily experimental builds, switch back to the stable build, and see if the same thing happens.

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
        Are you running the stable, weekly testing, or experimental builds?

If you were doing the daily experimental builds, switch back to the stable build, and see if the same thing happens.

Latest stable V1.5.1, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Hidetoshi6721 View Post
          I'm sorry I forgot to attach the log file. I'm currently out, so I will attach it later today.
          Log file
          Attached Files

Comment

Chkdsk reports no errors. Windows Memory Diagnostics reports NO errors. I ran chkdsk /r /f, which also fixes bad sectors.

As an update, lower poly models (or those made in GMAX) work fine and routes load (thank God). But higher poly models made in Blender just don't load. I always get the error "A fatal error has occurred...".
            Perhaps, by any chance, this could be a bug that OR is running in 32-bit mode on my 64-bit system and not utilising the 6 GB of RAM I have. (Just a guess, I don't have any software knowledge).

Comment

Or... your higher poly models are using up all the CPU and memory.....

Are these your models or someone elses?

What size and how many polys?
              If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Lots of warnings for that eng and cabview....

Comment

Lots of warnings for that eng and cabview....
                  Well, it worked fine a day ago. And so did the 100 (or so) other models I have.
                  The models aren't mine.
                  The are Blender models, so ofc high poly.

Comment

Now ALL those models are not working. This can't be a mimic, right?

Comment

Hi Eric,

I don't know what's happening. I don't know what kind of a bug this is. So, I selected the same consist, same path, same route.
                      First time, I get the error. Second time, I again get the error. Same for the third and fourth times.
                      ​​​​The fifth time, the cabview loaded properly, all ORTSFreightAnims load. Everything works.
                      ​I HAVE TOUCHED NOTHING, NOT EVEN THE CONSIST OR PATH.

I guess, I was not wrong about OR doing black magic..
                      It fixed itself 😂

P.S. I was legitimately having the issues I said earlier. I don't have any intention to waste the honourable people's time here. OR is playing tricks on me.

Post this, ALL MODELS WORK FINE.

Comment

That sounds like a local issue, not the software.

Its possible something in the background was consuming too much CPU or memory.

Most PCs can't run too many high-resource apps like Blender and ORTS at the same time. Chrome with too many tabs will grind my G15 gaming PC to a halt.

Comment

Hi,
                          I suggest that it's not OR which is playing tricks on you, but your PC or some other software in your PC is affecting OR !

On the fifth run, was the log file the same as the one you posted, or were the cabview (WDM3DKalyan_CAB.cvf) warnings missing? If so, I suggest that you correct that file before starting again tomorrow!!

Cheers,
                          Ged

Comment

Originally posted by slipperman View Post
                            Hi,
                            I suggest that it's not OR which is playing tricks on you, but your PC or some other software in your PC is affecting OR !

On the fifth run, was the log file the same as the one you posted, or were the cabview (WDM3DKalyan_CAB.cvf) warnings missing? If so, I suggest that you correct that file before starting again tomorrow!!

Cheers,
                            Ged
                            Well, well, the errors persist in the new log file too. But I don't have any problem with the errors because the 3D Cab works fine in general. But, this time, thankfully OR doesn't smash me with "A fatal error has occurred..."

​​​​Attached the new log file.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That sounds like a local issue, not the software.

Its possible something in the background was consuming too much CPU or memory.

Most PCs can't run too many high-resource apps like Blender and ORTS at the same time. Chrome with too many tabs will grind my G15 gaming PC to a halt.
                              Hmm, that could be the case. But again, Task Manager shows that the only memory hog happens is with RunActivity.exe.

Nevertheless, OR thankfully works fine (for now). Thank you for assisting!

Warm regards

This is my 100th post. 😄
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X