X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Rails shasta vs Train Sim Classic shasta

(didn't know where to place this, move if needed).

So I just wanted to see how both these routes would compare with each other. Both funnily enough seem to be one of the best for either games. Though the open rails one definitely has the physics and rolling stock advantages. I do kinda prefer the TSC stock since there's an SD9 and the fact the locos have 3d cabs. Scenery for both looks pretty accurate to the real thing, with some faults really being game limitations. Just wanting to know what others may think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1804513/Train_Simulator_Mount_Shasta_Line_Dunsmuir__Klamat h_Falls_Route_AddOn/

https://www.trainsimulations.net/sp-shasta

Personally, Trainsimulations version is the best version you will get. You could get some older power for the line from BLW/ZT.

-Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops
    Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Personally, in my opinion, the T-S version of Shasta seems the overall better product. While the locomotives don't have 3D cabs, not only is there more of them, but they're better-modeled overall. The rolling stock selection is much better as well, featuring more variety, both with what's included and the variety of road names.

As for SD9s, in addition to the BLW units, the CLW SD9s are also very nice, currently in the File Library.

To my eyes, the OR Shasta looks much better in the texturing and scenery department.
      Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
      Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Comment

I'd get the Open Rails version over anything DTG. IMHO there seems to be a more dedicated team with anything Open Rails.
        Kyle

NYC - Road of the Future

Comment

When they started the 40% discount over this past weekend, I bought the Shasta Route and then last night while it was still active I bought the Mullan Pass route. In 1999, my wife and rode the Coast Starlight south (or west if you will) on the Shasta line but I went to sleep about 9pm, not long after we passed over Penagra Pass and woke up just as we were coming past the Roseville yard but based on what I can see in Google Earth the terrain is quite accurate. So far I have run the Coast Starlight out of Dunsmuir and am about 50 miles from Klamath Falls. I did the Milwaukee Road that parallels the Mullen Pass line between Garrison & Missoula and what I have seen of that route is excellent. Now I do have to nit pick a little. I was supervisor of track geometry inspection on the Southern Railway from 3/67 to 8/78 and I HAVE NEVER SEEN SELF GUARDING FROGS ON MAINLINE TURNOUTS. Both routes used them. Okay in yards, not main tracks. Some of the turnouts on the Mullen Pass line are correct, some are not. Evidently the creators of these routes made their own track pieces and evidently they "painted" the ballast on the terrain textures. Definitely better than my use of transfers (which seem to shift in rotation between MSTS/RE and TSRE but they are also better artists than me.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by landnrailroader View Post
            When they started the 40% discount over this past weekend, I bought the Shasta Route and then last night while it was still active I bought the Mullan Pass route. In 1999, my wife and rode the Coast Starlight south (or west if you will) on the Shasta line but I went to sleep about 9pm, not long after we passed over Penagra Pass and woke up just as we were coming past the Roseville yard but based on what I can see in Google Earth the terrain is quite accurate. So far I have run the Coast Starlight out of Dunsmuir and am about 50 miles from Klamath Falls. I did the Milwaukee Road that parallels the Mullen Pass line between Garrison & Missoula and what I have seen of that route is excellent. Now I do have to nit pick a little. I was supervisor of track geometry inspection on the Southern Railway from 3/67 to 8/78 and I HAVE NEVER SEEN SELF GUARDING FROGS ON MAINLINE TURNOUTS. Both routes used them. Okay in yards, not main tracks. Some of the turnouts on the Mullen Pass line are correct, some are not. Evidently the creators of these routes made their own track pieces and evidently they "painted" the ballast on the terrain textures. Definitely better than my use of transfers (which seem to shift in rotation between MSTS/RE and TSRE but they are also better artists than me.

Jerry Sullivan
            Hi Jerry,

Just to weigh-in, no we (TrainSimulations) did not create any of the track shapes. The shapes are all part of the ScaleRails track system created by 3DTrains, which has existed for decades. All we have done is made some custom textures, but we have not done any modifications to the shapes / frog types - those are all the stock ScaleRail shapes. As a professional rail track designer, I agree with your comment on frogs, but within the limitations of the ScaleRails track system, we make do with what is available for the sim. To me, the much higher priority was to get the (approximate) turnout *size* correct. I would much rather have an approximately correct turnout size / frog angle / speed, as opposed to a turnout that has the correct style of frog but is way too tight or way too gentle of a turnout compared to the real deal.
            ~Sean Kelly~
            SP Shasta Route for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/sp-shasta
            MRL Mullan Pass for Open Rails: https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass

Comment

I just bought the OR shasta route, love it so far, it has wigwag crossings, very cool

Comment

I haven't run routes in ages (rebuilding a website will do that to you....), but am really enjoying both Shasta and Mullan.

Sean, the detail is amazing. You're making me want to go back and re-do some of my own routes because you've reset the bar.

Can't speak to the TSW/TSC version because I don't use Steam at all.
                If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Self guarding frogs? I guess I am confused on this one.

I see guard railings on every turn out at my work, mainline and yard switches..
                  -Shawn K-
                  Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Shawn, here is a link to Nortrak's self guarded frogs: https://www.voestalpine.com/nortrak/...se-Frogs-SSGM/

Very much a thing on the railroad I work for, along with spring frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                      Can't speak to the TSW/TSC version because I don't use Steam at all.
                      TSW doesn’t have Shasta in any form, it’s only TSC that has it. Shasta for railworks is definitely one of the better routes for that game made by one of the better 3rd party devs, but I’m gonna agree the open rails version beats it in any way that doesn’t have to with ORTS game limitations. Only thing the railworks one really has over open rails is the SD9E and the fact that one actually has 3d cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by SD9043MAC View Post
                        Shawn, here is a link to Nortrak's self guarded frogs: https://www.voestalpine.com/nortrak/...se-Frogs-SSGM/

Very much a thing on the railroad I work for, along with spring frogs.
                        Ah okay, didn't realize that is what those were called. Seen a few of those when I was on the VTR.

Same with those spring frogs. Those goofy things were always sketchy to me haha.

Yeah, I've seen all forms of frogs, guards, etc, on the railroads I've been around and worked on.

Okay, sorry, went off topic a bit here!
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Spring Frogs can be a nightmare for track men and in 1977 or so, one gave me some heartburn for a little while. From 1967 to 1978 I was manager of the track geometry inspection efforts at Southern Railway which involved the use of a recording car. Although more expensive and perhaps a little better such cars are available now, we did good work with ours. On one run southbound we passed over a spring frog a few miles southwest of Spartanaburg, SC and saw nothing wrong. Thirty minutes later, a hot intermodal licking at our block derailed several cars but not their locomotives on this frog. If it had been something visible in geomentry recording, my job would have been history but it turned out to be a loose bolt which was supposed to limit the action of the spring frog and hold it together. Evidently it failed under the locomotives on the intermodal and I worked another year for SR until I went to the FRA Research Office. Not a good move so in 1980 I went to work managing a CAD system for the signal department at Chessie System, Huntington, WV and I was moved here to Jacksonville with the signal department in 1986, retired in 2001.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

I'll have to jump on the bandwagon and choose the Trainsimulations version too. A marvelous piece of work recreating that portion of the SP. Having been over the real route I was surprised I recognized certain landmarks in the scenery and other sublties. The section between Dunsmuir and Mott was stunning in its amount of scenery detail. Hats off to Sean and the gang. They've really outdone themselves with this one (and Mullan too)!
                            -Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X