X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any hope for Marias Pass 6?

I realize I'm asking about an ancient museum piece that's ten years old, and is itself based on an original route that's twenty years old, but I just have to ask it anyway...
    Is there any hope for an update to the last Marias Pass 5 route to give us the next version?

I was first introduced to it back in 2001 when it was THE one and only freight route in MSTS, and I have played it quite heavily since then, even to this day. I suppose that, in a way, the memories have made up for the graphics, but I have to admit that more and more the newer routes with higher poly counts and better textures have just started to make the flaws in the old ones difficult to ignore at times. Although this would likely mean, at this point, making a whole new route from scratch, I have to say this is one I would be glad to shell out some money for if I could have it re-done to modern ORTS route standards.

I have slowly been upgrading this route with right of way ground textures along the rails, and roads. I plan to add some abutments to bridges where needed, and make some other tweaks.
    unfortunately I don't think it will get released publicly, as I have been upgrading the tree shapes, and other buildings, and track side infrastructure, to those from the MRL Mullan Pass and or CN Rule Sub, both from TrainSimulations.

The only way I could think of this being done correctly, is if I either give instructions on which shapes to use and duplicate, or instructions on which shapes and textures to copy over from the two TS routes.
    -Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Shawn, could that be done with a script?

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX View Post
        instructions on which shapes and textures to copy over from the two TS routes.
        I would say do this, and I would gladly go purchase the MRL Mullan pass route to get an updated Marias Pass. Already have the CN Ruel one.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainSimJack View Post
          Shawn, could that be done with a script?
          I honestly have no idea on this one, or even how to write up a script.

I'll also be honest, seeing this route built from scratch would be much more appealing, considering the DEM data today is much more advanced, and the track work on this route, still isn't 100 percent accurate when it comes to grade transitions, sidings, and curves. Unfortunately that's beyond my skill and patience.

Working on my own routes kind of has a bit of priority. I was simply upgrading this line, and a couple others, just for testing and experimental procedures for my own routes, which there again, won't see a public release due to use of many payware items and shapes.

From a legal standpoint, I'm not sure how I could go about any of that. If it's a possibility it can be done with the okay from the TS crew, than I could see about doing so, and it would require the need for these two routes, much like it would be for a repainted locomotive.

If this is a possibility for the upgraded route, then perhaps my own routes could be released this way too, but, that's something I would have to discuss with the TS members, and perhaps they would have to help me with the process on the set up install me script and what not.
          -Shawn K-
          Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Automation Scripts like that are in my area of experience - let me know if you ever want help with that.

Here are some things we can script:

#1 - Inventory your trainsimulations routes assets then compare them to yours to find out what you used in an automated way.
            #2 - Use this inventory to create a zip file of your route, that does not include the trainsimulations assets.
            #3 - Use this inventory to create a Script for the end user that copies the files from the end user's TrainSimulations routes to that persons local copy of your route.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainSimJack View Post
              Automation Scripts like that are in my area of experience - let me know if you ever want help with that.

Here are some things we can script:

#1 - Inventory your trainsimulations routes assets then compare them to yours to find out what you used in an automated way.
              #2 - Use this inventory to create a zip file of your route, that does not include the trainsimulations assets.
              #3 - Use this inventory to create a Script for the end user that copies the files from the end user's TrainSimulations routes to that persons local copy of your route.
              Well then, this sounds like a game changer for me. I'll continue my upgrades to the route, and I'll also speak with a couple of the guys at TS and see how they feel about this project, and go from there. Sounds like these could be a good thing in the end.
              -Shawn K-
              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Just a quick grab of what I've so far done.

ROW for the tracks have been "painted", with dirt and ballast. I've swapped out the shapes to the propane tanks for the switch heaters, as well as the relay boxes. Some tree shapes have been swapped out as well, while others just had a simple texture swap. Not shown are some of the roads that have dirt or gravel along the sides, I updated a road bridge with one that came from the CN Ruel Sub, and swapped out a crew office in Columbia Falls. There is still a lot to swap out and I haven't pushed very far beyond Belton for the track ROW textures. The US3 Tracks are thanks to Eric's updated Kuju/XTracks pieces, those haven't been swapped out at all.

-Shawn K-
                Derby Rail Shops

Comment

I'll also speak with a couple of the guys at TS and see how they feel about this project, and go from there. Sounds like these could be a good thing in the end.
                  I'm impressed with your work on the route so far and I really hope to see this project get released some day!

As for TS I certainly hope they're going to give you a thumbs up, especially considering that you aren't going to be releasing or distributing any of their assets. If you do release this project, it sounds like the only thing it's going to change for them is that I am going to go buy more of their products to that I can use your release, so the way I see it, that's money in their pocket and I think they should be happy with that!

Comment

I started work on a more accurate version of Marias Pass, since I think every version I've seen still uses the original Kuju trackwork (it's...bad). I haven't touched it in a while, but I've got from Whitefish to Essex on the west end and 15-20 miles from Shelby on the east end. I don't think I'd ever put more than track and roads, and of course interactives, but I've been tempted to pick it up again recently

Comment

Years ago, I made the suggestion about freeware routes that use payware files: Release the route without the payware files, but with a simple batch file that when run, checks the hard drive of the user for the required payware files. If it finds them, it copies them to the new route, if it doesn't, it generates are text file report of the files that it could not find. I don't think that this would violate most EULAs as the user would already own the files that would be copied to the new route. Also, by using a batch file, the EULA for the new route could contain language that the user takes full responsibility for any potential EULA violations if he/she executes the batch file. By the way, RouteRiter can essentially do the same thing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ebnertra000 View Post
                        I started work on a more accurate version of Marias Pass, since I think every version I've seen still uses the original Kuju trackwork (it's...bad). I haven't touched it in a while, but I've got from Whitefish to Essex on the west end and 15-20 miles from Shelby on the east end. I don't think I'd ever put more than track and roads, and of course interactives, but I've been tempted to pick it up again recently
                        If you are relaying track from the very start, I'd say this would be a much better approach than me just "beautifying" the land along the ROW's. Simply because, if you look at the overlay maps in TSRE, the track work originally from KUJU is very harsh to say the least. Especially in the Shelby - Cutbank region. I thought about doing the same and using scalerail, but decided to just work on a personal project as shown above.

Originally posted by wwhall View Post
                        By the way, RouteRiter can essentially do the same thing right now.
                        A great option, if that option worked for me. I use Windows 11, and I have tried every single advice and way under the sun to install RR, and it just simply will not work no matter what. So I tossed that old program into the trash bin and haven't looked back.
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

If you are relaying track from the very start, I'd say this would be a much better approach than me just "beautifying" the land along the ROW's. Simply because, if you look at the overlay maps in TSRE, the track work originally from KUJU is very harsh to say the least. Especially in the Shelby - Cutbank region. I thought about doing the same and using scalerail, but decided to just work on a personal project as shown above.
                          Honestly, although a whole new route from scratch would be wonderful, I am more than happy to simply ignore the inaccurate track layout present in the current route, or even to ignore other inaccuracies, and simply chalk it up to the nature of it being a simulation rather than real life.

For example I understand that Columbia Falls Aluminum is now long gone along with the tracks that served it, and the grain elevators at Ethridge are in various states of disrepair, out of service, rails torn up, etc. I am plenty happy to have them there, not just for scenery but also for some activity variety, even if as of right now they may be gone.

Comment

And I'll also speak with a couple of the guys at TS and see how they feel about this project, and go from there. Sounds like these could be a good thing in the end.
                            Talking about projects, as you mentioned you will speak with the TS guys, could you ask them about the ''Union Pacific La Grande Subdivision - Development Thread'', if they are still planning to finish or release that route ?

Comment

That is the one thing I haven't really considered with my upgrades, especially adding in the PTC array's. The track layout is obviously still dated for the 2001-2002 era of BNSF, so it will look a little goofy with the PTC in places. I could simply upgrade what I have and not include the PTC portion at all. There are some stuff I need to figure out too with the terrtex files. Not really sure on some for the yard and what not, the other thing is, when producing my row textures, I then no longer have the appropriate winter textures for the right of way, ends up being a grayish tile. I'm sure there is a way to produce snow texture files, but at a mass amount?
                              -Shawn K-
                              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                              X