X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Route Textures Question

I downloaded the old MSTS Saluda route and installed it in a vanilla MSTS install. I then moved it to the install I want to use it on. The problem cropping up is the tracks don't have any textures. It's like I'm missing the textures or something. How do I fix this?

It requires Scalerail/Scaleroads. Textures for that would need to be installed to the route's Textures directory.

Basic textures are file 87686 in the library, but there are several others you can sample in the Track Systems section.
    Last edited by eric; 04-09-2024, 06:17 PM.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Okay, I tried that. It still has the same problem. I'm about ready to ditch this route as too problematic.

Comment

What else was in the install you wanted to use Saluda in?

Just saying you wanted to move it from here to there is insufficient info
        My Open Rails videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc...1kBPO2A/videos

Comment

MSTS or ORTS?... ORTS should give a logfile of what's missing.
          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

ORTS. Where do I find the log file?

Comment

Might be on your desktop or in your ORTS executable folder. Mine is on the desktop as OpenRailsLog.txt

Comment

Okay, it seems I have most of the logging off in my options. And I can't figure out what the file is called for the log.

Comment

Do you see shapes and no textures, or just blanks altogether?

At a minimum, you'd need to install ScaleRail shapes to \global\shapes and textures to \Routes\Saluda\textures

Click on the "Logging" button at the OpenRails activity launcher, and it should create a file on your desktop.

Comment

It has the shapes, just no textures. The rails are a gray color. The log is too big to post here.

Here's the texture warnings on the tracks:

Code:
                    Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w1d.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w3a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w3b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2d.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w3a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2d.ace replaced with default texture

S

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w1a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2a.ace replaced with default texture

SS

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w1b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w4a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2b.ace replaced with default texture

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w3b.ace replaced with default texture

SSSS

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w4a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w410b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w410c.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w1b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w2b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w410a.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w410d.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w5a.ace replaced with default texture

SSSSSSSSSSSSWSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w406d.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w406c.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w406b.ace replaced with default texture

Warning: Missing texture c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures\sr_track_w406a.ace replaced with default texture
                    ​
                    ​

Comment

Hi shadowmane,

The log shows that all texture files necessary for Scalerail are missing from your c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda\textures folder.

To display Scalerail properly you will need to install three texture packages:
                      a) "Scalerail Common Textures by 3DTrains" (File ID 87687);
                      b) depending on your preference of ballast color (light grey or dark grey) and ties (wood = standard or concrete = modern), one of the following packages: "Standard Light Grey Textures" (File ID 87694), "Standard Dark Grey Textures" (File ID 87690), "Modern Light Grey Textures" (File ID 87697), or "Modern Dark Grey Textures" (File ID 87698);
                      c) depending on your preference of switch targets, one of the following packages: "Low Standard Switch Target Textures" (File ID 87700) or "High Standard Switch Target Textures" (File ID 87699).
                      The installers for all Scalerail texture packages have to be pointed to your Saluda routes folder (c:\train data\norfolk southern\routes\saluda). This way all texture files should end up in your Saluda route's texture folder.

@Eric: File ID 87686 ("scalerail_standard.zip") is named "Scalerail Standard Textures by 3DTrains" but is does install Scalerail shapes, not textures.

Uli

Comment

Thanks. I think I have a lot of stuff in my global folder that shouldn't be there now. I'll work my way through that list and get the textures. Those routes with the batch files are a pain in the butt these days. You have to have a vanilla MSTS install somewhere to get everything you need, and even then, sometimes, it doesn't pull all of the objects.

Comment

Originally posted by uli2 View Post

@Eric: File ID 87686 ("scalerail_standard.zip") is named "Scalerail Standard Textures by 3DTrains" but is does install Scalerail shapes, not textures.

Uli​
                          This is what caught me out, I think. I downloaded that file and installed it for textures. I have no textures. Thanks to you, I now have the file numbers to download for the textures.

Comment

Success!!! Thanks for the assistance.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hello everyone
                              I'm Roberto and I write from Italy; I am passionate about MSTS and Open Rails (but I'm not an expert) and I have known your site for more than 13 years, I have never asked for anything because in your forum I have always found the right solutions to my problems; but now I have a problem with Open Rails in installing the the Saluda route, I followed the instructions in the previous posts by downloading the indicated SCALERAIL files (File ID 87687-87690-87700) and inserting them into the route saluda/textures folder, but I cannot install the binaries (see photo). what is my mistake?I apologize for my bad english language and i thank you all for your passion and a hug from Italy.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X