X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with scenery object construction

I have decided to try model building and scenery development, but have run into roadblocks very quickly. So I decided to post this as questions to see if anyone can help with these snags and get me on to next steps. Goal: build placeable mining stores for Kenny’s Pokey 2.0 as requested in his post in another forum.
    Questions:
    1. Is there any extensive tutorial on making buildings and textures for Train Sim in Sketchup? I haven’t found one, but that may only be a testimonial to my novice nature in train sim. I’ve been building scenery in MS flight sims FSX and FS2004 for years.
    2. I am pretty adept at buildings and other scenery including making my own textures. I use Photoshop and Sketchup. In another post, Randy (rdayt) gave me a great tip in recommending an add-on for Sketchup that makes .s and .sd models. So, I have a nice little building in .s and .sd form which I suspect goes into the OPEN RAILS/ ROUTES/ specific route/ SHAPES folder.
    3. Are there any issues I need to know about the model at this point?
    4. From what I gather, textures need to be square, power of 2, and combined into an .ace file and placed in the OPEN RAILS/ ROUTES/ specific route/ Textures folder with night versions going in the proper folder. At this point, I can’t seem to convert anything into an .ace file. I use TARGA images but all trials of ACEIT1.3.4, TGATool2A, and PeaZip end up with “Unable to create Direct 3D device.” I have done all suggested on internet (reinstalled, updated drivers, but not changed the registry yet) to no avail. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti on a Intel i7-4770 CPU. Do I have to use ace files? What are you guys using to get around this? Also, any other tips on texture making?
    5. If I can get a model and ace files in the right folders, do they show up automatically in some placing device? I notice in TSRE Route Editor, buildings are listed, but mine (without textures) aren’t. Assuming I get the models and textures in the right folders, what are the next steps to place it in the sim and see what it looks like?
    If I can get beyond these obstacles, I will consider it great progress! Thanks for your help.
    Dan French

an, I've been making architectural models in Sketchup for about 20 years now. SU was designed for architectural modeling, something that makes it quite different than other 3d modeling software.

The tutorial you are looking for is at Elvastower, you should be able to read this as a guest: https://www.elvastower.com/forums/in...chup-for-msts/

It;'s a bit old and if I were to write in today for OR I'd but the critical issue as draw calls, not poly count.

An example of my work is below. I spend 99% of my time at elvastower and would be happy to advise over there. My display name there is Genma Saotome.

Clipboard0326.jpg
    Dave Nelson
    sigpic
    Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Comment

Several of us here have used Sketchup almost as extensively as Dave has. My "body count" is over well 3,000 scenery objects.

If you've already mastered texturing and the export, you're pretty well set up to go.

Originally posted by dlfrenchmd View Post

If I can get a model and ace files in the right folders, do they show up automatically in some placing device? I notice in TSRE Route Editor, buildings are listed, but mine (without textures) aren’t. Assuming I get the models and textures in the right folders, what are the next steps to place it in the sim and see what it looks like?
      You'd need to do one of three things...
      1. Add your newer buildings into the Ref file for your route
      2. Place another object where you want it, and Edit the filename with the shapefile that you created
      3. Upgrade to TSRE v8.004 which will automatically list the contents of your route's shapes directory

If you do decide to add to the ref file, it's pretty straight forward:

Code:
      Static (
           Filename ( "ctc-box.s" )
           Class ( "MyBuildings" )
           Description ( "CTC Box 8x8" )
      )
      Renaming an existing object is pretty easy --- so easy I'm not going to show a screenshot.

I'm working on version 8.004 of TSRE, so it was pretty simple to add option 3. As I'm not a fan of ref files in general, this will likely be my go-to from here forward.

capture_500569.jpg
      Last edited by eric; 04-11-2024, 11:17 PM.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

You don't have to use .ace files anymore.
        OR and TSRE have full support for .dds textures.
        .dds textures are handled natively in PaintDotNet. https://getpaint.net
        Other graphics programs need plugins to be able to do .dds textures.

Randy

Comment

Does DDs work with the SketchUp exporter? My building texture library is Ace file, so I haven't messed around with dds outside of blender, but it wouldn't surprise me if it breaks.
          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Sketchup doesn't recognize .ace textures or .dds.
            You'll need two matching textures. A .dds for OR/TSRE and a .jpg/.bmp/.tga for sketchup. A simple "save as" swap.
            Once you have your textures mapped you only have to do .dds textures.

Randy

Comment

Which version of Sketchup are folks using?
              Looking at the website it looks like it's $120/year to use the web version and $350 to use the windows version.

Comment

Try this one.
                It's the one that works with the trainsim exporter.
                CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers

Randy

Comment

I'm still using Sketchup 8.0.16846 and have no intension of changing that... my plugins work, and that's what matters.

There are a few sites that have the executable.

Comment

Something... something... <broken record sound> Blender something... something... <noise of something crawling back under a rock>
                    http://www.railsimstuff.com
                    Just Blender now, 3DCrafter only when I have to.
                    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
                    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement
                    sigpic

Comment

I hear ya, Pete, but if the OP is already conversant with Sketchup, for buildings, it's still a good tool.

Comment

With all of the great help above, I think I actually accomplished something! I have constructed and textured a small building from near my house and placed it (including rotation and positioning) near the Needles, CA station in Bob Wirth's ATSF Needles sub. Looks great in TSRE, but unfortunately not there at all when I run the train by. LOD's are at 2000m and 1000m. I'm running it all in Open Rails. Ideas? If the photo attaches correctly from TSRE, it is the red roof building right of center.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Try exporting without the LOD's. I don't think I've ever had that work from Sketchup.

Comment

Looks like you're off to a good start.
                            With today's more powerful computers I don't think LODs are needed anymore.

My 0.02
                            Randy

Comment

Worked! Thanks!
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X