Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Routes - J. H. Sullivan, (landnrailroader)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry, have you ever tried running Windows XP in a virtual machine? It may be a solution when your XP machine gives up the ghost.

Comment

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to do that. To circumvent that issue is one reason why I have nearly a dozen routes already laid out and shaped by DEMEX. Someone mentioned a dirth of Southern routes. Well my CNO&TP 3rd district is in the library and 1st & 2nd are iin the queue. Being a history nut these will include the routes pre-1963 when the major tunnel eliminations & curve fixing happened. There will be a manual turnout at the ends of the old sections. The section up Sloans valley on the 2nd district is particularly interesting, several tunnels, steel viaducts, and those tunnels fit a 2-10-2 like a bullet in a gun barrel. Big loads & double stacks would have been impossible to go the first mile. I would proceed faster except that about 1/2 of my available time is used to prepare material for the C&TS education project. One of the leaders lives across the river from me here in Florida & while I don't know her, her father is a friend in NM.

Jerry
      Last edited by landnrailroader; 04-21-2024, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Friends,

I got curious (dangerous thing) about how far the Pocahontas route goes and found that it ends just north (railroad west) of the tunnel at the north end of Williamson, WV. I don't have it on my things to do list, but I could be persuaded to add it, since I am including about 25 miles of NS(N&W) track with the Big Sandy route. In 1970 I rode a C&O inspection train from Ashland to Elkhorn City & back - got off at the then Ashland Oil Refinery where a cab was waiting to take me to the airport for a flight back to DC. Then I noticed that for several miles, south as far as Louisa, KY you could see (then) N&W trains. Then in 1972, the SR geometry car which I managed and me, were leased for a week to the N&W and while operating over this stretch one could see C&O trains on the other side of the river. The C&O follows the Levisa Fork of Big Sandy beyond Louisa, while the N&W followed the Tug Fork. At Kermit, WV there is a branch several miles long into Kentucky that still appears to have two active mines. At Naugatuck a branch takes off up Pigeon Creek that also goes to mines. The facilities at Williamson are well done but might have to be omitted if the coordinates are very far off. I don't know what the lad used to create tha Pocahontas.

Jerry

Comment

I'd love to see the Pocahontas, Clinch Valley and East River routes merged into a mega-route kind of like the Socal route.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowmane View Post
            I'd love to see the Pocahontas, Clinch Valley and East River routes merged into a mega-route kind of like the Socal route.
            Do not share the fascination with mega-routes. Especially older routes like the three above --- that all need refurbishing. Effort & time by those capable of doing the work & also interested in doing the work --- imo --- would be better spent on reworking said routes, or starting from scratch and building anew to OR standards.
            Cheers, Gerry
            "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
            It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
            Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
            Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Oh, I'd love to see all three of those done to OR standards. I'd love to see the two Clinchfield routes brought up to OR standards as well. There are a few Appalachian mountain routes that could be connected into a mountain railroading route par excellence. Even if it's kept to multiple routes, you could do a spanned activity that takes you from one route to the next, to the next.

Comment

I hesitate to do huge routes, in fact some of those I am doing are probably too big. However if one wants to merge routes it is labor intensive but not too difficult. First you have to have some way of adding the terrain files although there may be ways to use those from the route to be merged given that the quad tree is not used by ORTS. Then you just copy the world files in and assuming that the coordinates are coincident (my routes are all digitized from Google EArth except a few early ones. KP, BR, and the RMD series were all digitized from PhotoMaps. Then what I do is just remove dynamic pieces, noting down the parameters of each so I can reinsert them later and then just go through and manually select each track or road piece in sequence along a road or route. There are other ways but this method was the easiest for me. I can lay track for a fair sized route in 60 days of part-time. Roads take me at least twice that long and then there is detailing which makes me think of those Catholic groups out west that climb a certain mesa next to Colorado-17, west of Antonito, to reach a cross at the top and FLAGELLATE themselves along the way.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                X