Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on placing tracks and start of placing objects down

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help on placing tracks and start of placing objects down

    Hello, so I am trying to figure out how to place tracks/roads onto my route. I have the terrain texture or ground texture placed and was able to figure out how, but for the tracks now, I am not sure. I read the instructions and tried to follow it but I don't know what file name it falls under in the tsre objects category thing, in picture 1 and secondly ever time I try to place a track that I think I am placing down, it comes out like that, in picture 2 and so I am not sure if it is because I am missing something or I need to install XTracks or something to that nature because I am not sure if I have that already installed or not.

    Honestly, I am confused on this whole thing lol

    Any advice on this would help

    #2
    You may be missing a required texture based on the screenshot. Acleantrack1.ace or dds are required in your routes texture subfolder depending on which shapes you have.

    Search for ATracks in the library, and you'll find a recent download with updated shapes as well as textures. There are also several replacement track textures in the MSTS Track Systems section of the library.

    You can also install XTracks, but keep in mind it uses a less realistic rail and ballast profile.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by eric View Post
      You may be missing a required texture based on the screenshot. Acleantrack1.ace or dds are required in your routes texture subfolder depending on which shapes you have.

      Search for ATracks in the library, and you'll find a recent download with updated shapes as well as textures. There are also several replacement track textures in the MSTS Track Systems section of the library.

      You can also install XTracks, but keep in mind it uses a less realistic rail and ballast profile.
      Oh, okay I see and alright awesome! Yeah, I wasn't sure what .ace meant or dds or even atls meant, and yes, I actually recently did search for one of those things up and I was able to find like a couple of MSTS track replacements but I believe in the requirements it said that I needed XTracks or something like, but I didn't search for ATracks yet and so I will search for that as well, Thanks!

      Comment


        #4
        If something says "requires XTracks", you can safely use ATracks as an alternative.

        Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by eric View Post
          If something says "requires XTracks", you can safely use ATracks as an alternative.

          Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
          Oh, okay awesome thanks!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by eric View Post
            If something says "requires XTracks", you can safely use ATracks as an alternative.

            Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
            Also, last question. So, when I download objects, such as either trees, stations, buildings, vehicles, and railroad crossings, What file name would they fall under in, in the tsre program? Would it be like .ace or .dds or .s or something like that? And would I find it in the Other section under objects where you have tracks, roads, and the ref or something?

            Comment


              #7
              No such thing as a "last question" on route building... I've been doing it for 20 years and still ask questions.

              Originally posted by TrainGuy17 View Post
              when I download objects, such as either trees, stations, buildings, vehicles, and railroad crossings, What file name would they fall under in, in the tsre program?
              Downloads will have shapes as well as textures. Some will come in folders, some won't. If they're all lumped in one folder, then separate as such:
              • .s and .sd --> Shapes
              • .ace or .dds --> Textures
              If you maintain a REF file, you can classify them in subsections with a meaningful title. Some shapes come with the REF entries to add to your file, others don't.

              TSRE 8.004 also will show every shape in your route folder in the Other: Route\Shapes category, but that will require knowing what the shape names mean.

              Don't get too caught up in ACE vs DDS -- it matters once: when you decide which track you are using. For most people playing older routes, it's going to the ACE version.
              Last edited by eric; 06-01-2024, 07:41 AM.
              If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

              Comment


                #8
                You will have to add downloaded assets to the route.
                The shapes go in he shapes folder, the textures go in the textures folder and you will have to add it to the route's .ref file so it's available in TSRE.

                Randy

                Comment


                  #9
                  I was laying down some tracks and vegetation on the Scenic Sub, all fine on that. But then when I went to start the route on OR it crash and won't load. Then back to the (Track Viewer) several parts of the route was simple missing. Good that I always keep a backup for this reasons. Is there any file blocking stopping the allowance of edition on that specific route ?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by eric View Post
                    No such thing as a "last question" on route building... I've been doing it for 20 years and still ask questions.



                    Downloads will have shapes as well as textures. Some will come in folders, some won't. If they're all lumped in one folder, then separate as such:
                    • .s and .sd --> Shapes
                    • .ace or .dds --> Textures
                    If you maintain a REF file, you can classify them in subsections with a meaningful title. Some shapes come with the REF entries to add to your file, others don't.

                    TSRE 8.004 also will show every shape in your route folder in the Other: Route\Shapes category, but that will require knowing what the shape names mean.

                    Don't get too caught up in ACE vs DDS -- it matters once: when you decide which track you are using. For most people playing older routes, it's going to the ACE version.
                    Ah, okay I see. Also lol well since I guess I can still ask more questions...well I have more questions. So, for stations and railroad crossings and maybe buildings, so I was trying to search for stations that I could use for my route and railroad crossings, and I couldn't really get that much results for the railroad crossings especially but I did see some stations that I could use but I also have some routes installed that do contain stations and I guess some railroad crossings but I cant really tell if they are there in the tsre program, maybe they are, and I was thinking if I would be able to use the stations that I have installed from a route, and be able to place them onto my route? But for the railroad crossings, yeah I was only able to find like a couple of results, I know they are also called Grade crossings or something to that nature, but yeah do you know where I could possibly find more results of railroad crossings in the file library that I could use? and probably for train stations as well maybe?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by rdayt View Post
                      You will have to add downloaded assets to the route.
                      The shapes go in he shapes folder, the textures go in the textures folder and you will have to add it to the route's .ref file so it's available in TSRE.

                      Randy
                      Ohh okay gotcha, thanks!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        TSRE doesn't have any pre-provided shapes for you to use. As Randy said, you'll need to seek out the physical station buildings and gates/lights for grade crossings. These are located in the file library under the Scenery Objects section. You can also build your own using Blender. That's a whole topic of its own...

                        What you see in the menus for station platforms, sidings, crossings etc. are simply indicators that tell the game engine where something is. There won't be a visual representation unless you add a shape. Signals and speedposts/mileposts will have a visual representation, but you'll need to tell TSRE what shapes go with which objects in the signals configuration and speedposts.dat files. Those are usually included with the sets you download.

                        You can reuse what you see in other routes for your own enjoyment without seeking permission... If it's something you plan to share, then you'll need to do some checking first. Most payware route shapes can't be shared with others. Most freeware allows some re-use, but you should really check to see if that's allowed before assuming that it is.
                        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by eric View Post
                          TSRE doesn't have any pre-provided shapes for you to use. As Randy said, you'll need to seek out the physical station buildings and gates/lights for grade crossings. These are located in the file library under the Scenery Objects section. You can also build your own using Blender. That's a whole topic of its own...

                          What you see in the menus for station platforms, sidings, crossings etc. are simply indicators that tell the game engine where something is. There won't be a visual representation unless you add a shape. Signals and speedposts/mileposts will have a visual representation, but you'll need to tell TSRE what shapes go with which objects in the signals configuration and speedposts.dat files. Those are usually included with the sets you download.

                          You can reuse what you see in other routes for your own enjoyment without seeking permission... If it's something you plan to share, then you'll need to do some checking first. Most payware route shapes can't be shared with others. Most freeware allows some re-use, but you should really check to see if that's allowed before assuming that it is.
                          Oh, okay I see. That is understandable, yeah no this is only for my own enjoyment and so yeah. This is my first time playing OR/MSTS because many years ago actually when I was younger I used to go on YouTube and watch a variety of train simulation videos and I came across MSTS and this was something that got me interested in. Years went by and a more couple of years ago and I was trying to search if MSTS was still around until I found Open Rails and I saw the comparison and I was happy but I had no idea how to play it and so more years went by and just recently I came back to this game and now I am yeah getting myself around the game slowly and so now as my first step, is to make a route for my own enjoyment. So yeah therefore forgive me if I ask more questions lol as I am just learning and yeah. I also have no experience with Blender as of yet since I havent gotten my hands on it but probably in the future I will

                          Comment


                            #14
                            You only need to make it as complicated as you want to. Those who Rush In way too fast can quickly find themselves overwhelmed and just give up. Ease into it, you'll have a better time.
                            If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by eric View Post
                              You only need to make it as complicated as you want to. Those who Rush In way too fast can quickly find themselves overwhelmed and just give up. Ease into it, you'll have a better time.
                              Ah, okay yeah that is true. Thank you so much and yeah I will let you know if I have any more or other questions about route building and yeah

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X