X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Winooski Sub

I started this route years ago and stopped working on it when enough information became available to complete the DARv3 route. I was looking for something to work on and took another look at the Central Vermont Winooski Sub route. I've been updating the route that was originally set in the mid-1950s and I've been changing it to a 1980 route when I was heading down to the CV to do railfanning.

Can't have a CV froute without a nice bridge, this one is about a mile south of Essex Junction over the Winooski River.

The CV way freight heading for Burlington over the Winooski Sub passes the Amtrak Station abd then rounds the north leg of the wye.

Paul :-)​

Hi Paul,

Very interesting. I believe the sub covers from Burlington to Essex Junction. A short length sub.

Thanks

Denis
    Last edited by dgionet; 11-26-2023, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I do believe it's still known as the Winooski Sub, if not the Burlington Sub or Branch now. While St. Albans to Brattleboro is part of the Roxbury Sub. I am of course, very intrigued by this route, as I did run over it for a solid two months for the VTR-NECR detour trains between Bellows Falls, VT and Burlington, VT via White River Jct and Montpelier.
      -Shawn K-
      Derby Rail Shops​

Comment

The route is 8 miles from Essex Junction to the interchange with the VTR in Burlington. Shawn has the original version I made years ago based in the 1950s when the CV had a two stall enginehouse in Burlington and ran three shifts. By the time the Rutland went on strike and closed they were down to two shifts working out of Essex Junction and then when the VTR started in 1965 the Winooski Sub was serviced with a way freight originating in St Albans that continued until the end of the CV. Great scenery through the Winooski gorge, along with a tunnel before entering the Burlington yard, at the time it was one of only two tunnels in Vermont, the other in Bellows Falls.

Paul :-)

Comment

Looks good Paul. I am looking forward to this one.
          Paul

Comment

I knew I took all those CV pictures in the early 1980s for a reason!

Comment

Fun with Geeps, but now it's time for a set of RS-11s.

Comment

First RS-11 is on the road.

DW&P 3600 and GT 4558 head down the Winooski towards Burlington.

Comment

The CV Rocket northbound through Essex Junction in the early morning hours.

SPCV heading north over the Sugar River Bridge in Clarmont NH with run-through power from the Boston and Maine.

Paul :-)​

Comment

awesome route paul. how long did it take you build this route? Jdark34

Comment

The two shots were taken on two routes. The Rocket is on the route I'm building, the Winooski Sub between Essex Junction and Burlington VT. The shot of SPCV was taking on the Conn River Route, from White River Junction to Brattleboro VT, that one is set in the 1950s took me three years to build.

Comment

Originally posted by charland View Post
                        The two shots were taken on two routes. The Rocket is on the route I'm building, the Winooski Sub between Essex Junction and Burlington VT. The shot of SPCV was taking on the Conn River Route, from White River Junction to Brattleboro VT, that one is set in the 1950s took me three years to build.

Time well spent, Paul. I was trainwatching at the theater motel just the other day😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                        Rick Franzosa - ZosaTrains
                        http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/Sales.htm

Comment

All the CV and B&M power I've been drawing is from photos I took back in 1980 in St Albans. I just laid the highway through Winooski that goes south over the Winooski River and though a deep cut past the end of the airport. I remember driving through there and watching a C-5A Galaxy doing a sharp left turn on final. This is becoming fun!

Comment

Working...
                          X